Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel - Prometheus (2012) - Page 87 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Franchise Horror

Franchise Horror Come here to talk about all the big names in horror with 3+ films in the series. Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc...

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #861
cubbiechris
I Eat Brains!

cubbiechris has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post

But yeah... 3D is a hard sell thanks to how it has been traditionally pushed on audiences. It really can be cool, as long as it doesn't give you a headache.
That's the problem studio's use it as a cash-in. The studio's and lessor filmmakers have used it horribly.
cubbiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #862
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is being excellent

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
That's the problem studio's use it as a cash-in. The studio's and lessor filmmakers have used it horribly.
Yup. It's advertised almost entirely as a gimmick... which is a shame because it really can make a movie more interesting.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #863
mossy
It... Won't... Die...

mossy is \m/

Quote:
Yup. It's advertised almost entirely as a gimmick... which is a shame because it really can make a movie more interesting.
I've found most 3D shit distracts me. Even in movie such as Avatar where it's been used well.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #864
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
I've found most 3D shit distracts me. Even in movie such as Avatar where it's been used well.
How does it distract you? I don't mean that in some argumentative way, but honestly what about it takes away from what else is going on?

I find the added depth and movement adds to the atmosphere and aesthetics of the movie.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #865
Willowfang
has gone to plaid

Willowfang is half Thundercat on his childhood's side

Quote:
How does it distract you? I don't mean that in some argumentative way, but honestly what about it takes away from what else is going on?

I find the added depth and movement adds to the atmosphere and aesthetics of the movie.
You read what SeaHag posted, and he says he's looking at the shot like a cinematographer would.

While that doesn't prove it'll take it to a new level, it does show he's not going for gimmick.
I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Willowfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #866
Heretic
It... Won't... Die...

Heretic is up to shenanigans

Quote:

For one, it makes the movie dim. That's my biggest problem. You also have to get a good seat, to fully appreciate it. The lenses on the glasses are too small in most of my experiences as well.

This is all for the "Real D" crap, in normal theatres. IMAX 3D was pretty impressive when I saw it.

Overall though, it is a gimmick, and ulimately unneccessary. At least they don't force it on people though, so whatever. As long as I have a choice, I really don't care.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #867
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Sea Hag

I'm still in the camp of people who could give a fuck about 3-D and just assume not bother with it. But I can appreciate where Scott's coming from in that he brought up the fact that we as humans see in 3-D, not 2-D. It's not about throwing things at the audience's faces for the sake of making the experience gimmicky. It's about trying to utilize the full potential of our peripheral vision to make the viewing experience as immersive as possible.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Whiplash - 8.5/10
Dazed And Confused - 10/10
John Wick - 9/10
Edge Of Tomorrow - 7/10
The Monster Squad - 7.5/10
Sea Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #868
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
For one, it makes the movie dim. That's my biggest problem. You also have to get a good seat, to fully appreciate it. The lenses on the glasses are too small in most of my experiences as well.

This is all for the "Real D" crap, in normal theatres. IMAX 3D was pretty impressive when I saw it.

Overall though, it is a gimmick, and ulimately unneccessary. At least they don't force it on people though, so whatever. As long as I have a choice, I really don't care.
Every 3d movie I've seen in theaters looked great. Maybe it's just the way different theaters light the theaters and position the audience... I pretty much only go to one theater. But two of my friends have 3d TVs and they are even better than the theater. Comfortable seating and good lighting are key. Someday they'll perfect the technology.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #869
SirStoneyOfBow
It... Won't... Die...

SirStoneyOfBow is gonna jook you with his jook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post
I don't agree with this at all. If used right it enhances the experience. But there's always going to be a crowd that embraces it and a crowd that doesn't. That's why we have choices.
Well it's always going to be a subjective matter but it's not the first thing that came to mind to me with this movie.
I don't hate 3D, but the emphasis to stick it into most new releases seems like we are being force-fed so much people will tire of it - especially if it's poorly done or unrefined.

In any case, arguing aside - I'll see this movie in any format I can see it in.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #870
Sea Hag
It... Won't... Die...

Sea Hag has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Sea Hag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStoneyOfBow View Post
but the emphasis to stick it into most new releases seems like we are being force-fed so much people will tire of it - especially if it's poorly done or unrefined.
Another reason why Christopher Nolan rules. And he took it a step further by recommending people to avoid seeing TDKR in a theater using a digital projector if they could. (i need a legit imax theater to open-up close to me)

DVDs

Recent Flicks
Whiplash - 8.5/10
Dazed And Confused - 10/10
John Wick - 9/10
Edge Of Tomorrow - 7/10
The Monster Squad - 7.5/10
Sea Hag is offline   Reply With Quote