What films did you watch today? V2 - Page 2788 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Entertainment

Entertainment General talk about movies, tv, etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #27871
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead

Gabberhouse24 is right behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
I rated the Carpenter film a 10/10. I like how this one starts and ends with the beginning of carpenter's film. As I have said before in the The Thing thread, I was all psyched to watch this last night. So perhaps my enthusiasm got the best of me. We will see about my rating when I watch it again. LOL!!
That does happen sometimes. I thought it was a very poorly done film though, I wanted to actually enjoy it a little, but I just couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGeek View Post
Exiled-10/10

I haven't seen this movie since 2006 and decided to give it a watch after recently watching Johnnie To's Vengeance.

I like this one even more than Vengeance. Fantastic acting (Especially Anthony Wong and Simon Yam) and direction, great action set pieces and a thrilling finish. I was actually on the edge of my seat during a few sequences.

Highly Recommended.
I enjoyed this one myself. Wasn't the biggest fan of Vengeance though.

Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol - 6/10

A cheese-fest full of purposeful over the top ridiculousness and some good laughs. A lot of the laughs came from the cornball action that was going on throughout. The acting was suspect, even on Renner's part, but I blame that on the terrible dialogue. The stunts that Cruise did though, those were pretty wild, I would have never been on the side of that fucking building.

Overall it's a fun mindless flick, but by no means a good film. The first and third remain the best in the franchise, IMO.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #27872
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is GANGSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabberhouse24 View Post
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol - 6/10

A cheese-fest full of purposeful over the top ridiculousness and some good laughs. A lot of the laughs came from the cornball action that was going on throughout. The acting was suspect, even on Renner's part, but I blame that on the terrible dialogue. The stunts that Cruise did though, those were pretty wild, I would have never been on the side of that fucking building.

Overall it's a fun mindless flick, but by no means a good film. The first and third remain the best in the franchise, IMO.
It's quite baffling that this has a higher rating on RT then The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Utter bullshit.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #27873
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en XxSinzXx View Post
It's quite baffling that this has a higher rating on RT then The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Utter bullshit.
My thoughts exactly. I can't even fathom how the critics are giving this such praise. It's fun for a mindless good time, but it's not a good film.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #27874
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is GANGSTA

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I can't even fathom how the critics are giving this such praise. It's fun for a mindless good time, but it's not a good film.
Yeah it's silly.

Spoiler Below
I bet it's the rape scenes.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #27875
Nightmare
The Living Dead

Nightmare is groovy.

Quote:
I haven't seen it, so I can't comment, but can't a movie which is a mindless good time also be a "good film"?

Just watched Revenge of the Nerds from start to finish for the first time. I watched the last 30 minutes of it on TV years back and haven't got around to seeing until just now. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I prefer a few other 80's comedies to this one. Curtis Armstrong makes any movie better automatically. 8/10

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #27876
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
I haven't seen it, so I can't comment, but can't a movie which is a mindless good time also be a "good film"?
By good film, I meant well done filmmaking, such as something that shows skill and all areas are handled well...acting, story, writing, score, cinematography, direction, etc. Blockbuster action flicks, typically don't fall under the "good filmmaking" category.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #27877
Wonderlust
Fairies Wear Boots

Wonderlust is beautifully macabre and uncharacteristically psychotic

The Green Butchers
The Candy Snatchers
Benny's Video
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #27878
Se7en
The Bad Guy

Se7en is GANGSTA

Quote:
By good film, I meant well done filmmaking, such as something that shows skill and all areas are handled well...acting, story, writing, score, cinematography, direction, etc. Blockbuster action flicks, typically don't fall under the "good filmmaking" category.
This.

When I see films such as Shark Night or Transformers (First things that came to mind) I enjoy them & like them, but they are by no means, good movies.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #27879
Nightmare
The Living Dead

Nightmare is groovy.

How well a movie is made means nothing to me if it's not entertaining though. It can be the best acted and directed movie of all time, but if it drains the life out of me just to sit through it, then I won't call it a good movie. Entertainment comes first for me, and probably for a lot of "critics" online. I'd imagine that's why they liked MI4 better than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm not saying that isn't an entertaining movie though (I haven't seen it, either.)

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #27880
Gabberhouse24
The Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
How well a movie is made means nothing to me if it's not entertaining though. It can be the best acted and directed movie of all time, but if it drains the life out of me just to sit through it, then I won't call it a good movie. Entertainment comes first for me, and probably for a lot of "critics" online. I'd imagine that's why they liked MI4 better than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm not saying that isn't an entertaining movie though (I haven't seen it, either.)
Actually, I disagree that most professional critics think like this, they pick films apart for technical reasons constantly. Which is why I'm baffled about this one.

I think there's a difference between a good film and an entertaining film. Which is why I partially agree with you as well. I'll rate a film highly if I find it thoroughly entertaining, even if it isn't a well done film. But, in this case there is entertainment at times but too much over the top corn, terrible dialogue and cliche to avoid annoyance as well. Which is also in part why I laughed a lot and gave it a decent rating.