The Possession (2012) - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > All Things Horror > Horror Movies > Modern Horror

Modern Horror Horror Movies of the 1990's - present.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

HorrorMovieFan has no status.

Default The Possession (2012)

"The Possession"......This is a damn fine dramatic thriller/chiller!! The atmosphere, music, tension, character building, plot, and acting are all solid. It is an incredibly well done, intricately put together and thoroughly thought out film! The movie is essentially all suspense/build up/tension and/or drama between the family. There was plenty of character building, maturing of plot, and overall depth all throughout! I did, however, find the infestation of moths to be cheesy and thought we didnt need to see that. Jeffrey Dean Morgan(Clyde) is terrific and Natasha Calis as "Em" is wonderful. What an awesome young talent, who I am sure will become a rising star. The whole cast is strong. Loud/sudden noises/music were plenty, but the atmosphere and build up to many of the scenes helped those things along. Loved the kitchen scene with the mom and "Em", and the hospital/morgue scenes were terrifying! The ending is left open but it worked for me. What also intrigued me about it initially was that it took things from a Jewish perspective, both spiritually and with the exorcism aspect especially. I was pleased with how all of this was incorporated into the movie. Matisyahu as "Tzadok" is very effective too.

9/10
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Renacimiento
The Fallen Angel

Renacimiento has no status.

Location: Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, near Argentina.

A twin:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/legacy/...ad.php?t=63299
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renacimiento View Post
Oh? The "search" thing is not working for me lately. Ah well...that other thread is in horror news/gossip. It should now be moved into the Modern Horror section.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
RomeroCarpenter Fan
Rotting Corpse

RomeroCarpenter Fan has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
"The Possession"......This is a damn fine dramatic thriller/chiller!! The atmosphere, music, tension, character building, plot, and acting are all solid. It is an incredibly well done, intricately put together and thoroughly thought out film! The movie is essentially all suspense/build up/tension and/or drama between the family. There was plenty of character building, maturing of plot, and overall depth all throughout! I did, however, find the infestation of moths to be cheesy and thought we didnt need to see that. Jeffrey Dean Morgan(Clyde) is terrific and Natasha Calis as "Em" is wonderful. What an awesome young talent, who I am sure will become a rising star. The whole cast is strong. Loud/sudden noises/music were plenty, but the atmosphere and build up to many of the scenes helped those things along. Loved the kitchen scene with the mom and "Em", and the hospital/morgue scenes were terrifying! The ending is left open but it worked for me. What also intrigued me about it initially was that it took things from a Jewish perspective, both spiritually and with the exorcism aspect especially. I was pleased with how all of this was incorporated into the movie. Matisyahu as "Tzadok" is very effective too.

9/10

yes it was a very well done film with splendid performances. there also were some freaky moments that chilled me.

(8/10)
RomeroCarpenter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
HorrorMovieFan
I Eat Brains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroCarpenter Fan View Post
yes it was a very well done film with splendid performances. there also were some freaky moments that chilled me.

(8/10)
Loved how the girls x rays showed the demon inside her. Never expected that.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Heathen
BANNED

Heathen is advising that if you kiss a corpse, you had better be willing to go all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
Loved how the girls x rays showed the demon inside her. Never expected that.
That was one of its many seemingly unintentional comedic moments. I can't rip this flick for them because they added to its overall entertainment value, but if you want to see a similar seen done better, watch BORN.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Deadly Fiend
Demigod

Deadly Fiend has no status.

This was by far one of the better modern possession films. Kept my interest and has a creepy performance from the possessed girl.
Deadly Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Mogwai
BANNED

Mogwai is three sheets to the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
That was one of its many seemingly unintentional comedic moments. I can't rip this flick for them because they added to its overall entertainment value, but if you want to see a similar seen done better, watch BORN.
Yeah, the mongoloid face in the girls ribcage made me laugh to you... you.. Heathen you!
Overall it's a pretty competent horror film. The story of the central characters is totally cliched. Yer know the score - hubby and wife have divorced, they share custody of the children, there's a new boyfriend/girlfriend in the picture, etc. This type of set up is always convenient when dealing with a "messed up kid" film. That way whatever is wrong with the child can inevitably be blamed on the fact that the child is just not dealing well with the break up of his or her parents. No matter the fact that the little girl speaks in a demonic voice or stabs her dad with a fork, that is quite normal behaviour. And, if she ever rolls her eyes back into her skull and floats around the kitchen then bingo. She's special. definitely not possessed though. Certainly not.

It was fine, the pacing was just about right, I'll give it that much but a few scenes disturbed me and not in an eerie way. There seemed to be ton of shots of the little girls arse as she was wearing short skirts! One scene in particular troubled me - the bit where she magically disappeared Mr Dentist's teeth away. She was stood by a swing wearing knee high boots and a sexy dress. She's meant to be about ten ffs you pervy bastard filmmakers and while I'm on the subject of the ersatz father of the girls... what the fuck became of him? Devil slut jail bait made his mouth bleed, he fled in his car and then what? It could have at least explained what became of the guy? Nah, best to end with the hubby getting back with that horrible mother of the children over a breakfast scene. Closure is for pussies afterall.
It was alright and had a few moments.
7/10
Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
TheHorrorGuru
Not Dead Yet

TheHorrorGuru has no status.

My buddy and I did a video review of the Possesion:

Friday Night Fright Flicks: The Possession

Short version: We thought it was okay.
TheHorrorGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #10