DVD Vs. Blu-Ray - Page 3 - BLOODY-DISGUSTING
MOVIES MUSIC VIDEO GAMES COMICS MOVIE PIT VIDEO COMMUNITY
ZergNet

Go Back   BLOODY-DISGUSTING > General Talk > Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews

Blu-Ray/DVD Releases and Reviews Discussion of current and upcoming DVD releases, technical specifications only. Film discussion itself to be kept to their respective sections.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
zigwardScissorHands
Fresh Kill

zigwardScissorHands is eating skittles, vomiting rainbows

bluray is obviously a superior technology but personally i'm still happy with dvds for the most part. Here blurays can be a bit more expensive and unless it is a special movie I'll just go with dvd. so its partially a money issue. Picture quality is all well and good but i'm far more interested in the movie itself.

However there are some films i would prefer to watch on dvd or hell even VHS if i can get it. Before you call me crazy let me explain. I don't see much point in owning the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example, on bluray. I don't want that movie to look crisp and clear, it looks weird to me. the more grain the better as far as i'm concerned. Give me the VHS with weird pops and glitches. Its part of the grungy dirty charm of that film.

I feel the same about the Evil Dead 1 and 2. They look weird to me on bluray.
zigwardScissorHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Mr. Bill
BD's Official Thunder Buddy!

Mr. Bill is going to show that bitch a scary movie... bitches love scary movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigwardScissorHands View Post
However there are some films i would prefer to watch on dvd or hell even VHS if i can get it. Before you call me crazy let me explain. I don't see much point in owning the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for example, on bluray. I don't want that movie to look crisp and clear, it looks weird to me. the more grain the better as far as i'm concerned. Give me the VHS with weird pops and glitches. Its part of the grungy dirty charm of that film.

My facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horro..._type=bookmark

My film collection...
http://billsmovies.filmaf.com/owned 4904 films and counting
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigwardScissorHands View Post
bluray is obviously a superior technology but personally i'm still happy with dvds for the most part. Here blurays can be a bit more expensive and unless it is a special movie I'll just go with dvd. so its partially a money issue. Picture quality is all well and good but i'm far more interested in the movie itself.

I have the original TCM and blu-ray... and it certainly isn't crisp or clear.... In the case with that movie in particular, it has erased any "errors" or blemishes on the video, but all of the grain and grit is perfectly intact. But I know exactly what you mean with certain movies.

Here are some screens of TCM 74 on blu-ray. Its one of those movies that makes you wonder "why should I get this on blu-ray?".

And the answer is, you don't really need to because there isn't any significant increase in crispness or quality, but if you don't own it already getting the blu-ray is probably your best bet. Either for special features purposes or just because, in my opinion, it has never looked grittier or nastier before. A blu-ray won't necessarily make it crisp, but it will most accurately re-create the original look of the film according to the filmmaker's perspective. TCM 74 isn't beautiful on blu-ray, because it isn't supposed to be. But it looks how the movie should. A common misconception of blu-rays is that they make movies look way more clear, in the case of some movies the original look of the movie can be more accurately shown because a blu-ray disc can hold up to 50 gigs of video data vs the 8 on a standard dvd.

Unless you really want the ugliness of the VHS to enhance the grossness of the movie... which I get. I think with this particular movie, they have done an incredible job of getting the look and sound of the movie down perfectly.

EDit

but all in all, it really makes you question why movies like this need a blu-ray upgrade at all... if they're ugly they're ugly.

Last edited by The Revelator; 02-28-2013 at 11:54 PM.
The Revelator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
Santa
The Necromancer

Santa is stronger than the foundations of the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Revelator View Post
A blu-ray won't necessarily make it crisp, but it will most accurately re-create the original look of the film according to the filmmaker's perspective.
That's the most significant aspect for people who want to convert to Blu-ray and who happen to be movielovers. DVD can't catch that look, but a worn out VHS is the best choice to watch video nasties like TCM or The Evil Dead in the way they are supposed to being watched. Gritty, ugly and dirty.
The decision is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
I would jizz on you if I were a man. I would jizz on everything if I had a penis for one day. Oh man I bet that feels so good. You guys are so lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonia
I like to skip dessert and get right down to relaxing after a meal with a hot bath and a facial.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
horrorking95
Rotting Corpse

horrorking95 is singing Believe! BY CHER!

Send a message via MSN to horrorking95

To see the quality of blu-ray you need very good eye sight. As soon as I got glasses I immediately saw the difference. If you can't see any difference, then either get glasses, or get a new prescription!!

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/
horrorking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
The Revelator
Extrasolar Administrator

The Revelator is tired

Send a message via AIM to The Revelator Send a message via MSN to The Revelator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorking95 View Post
To see the quality of blu-ray you need very good eye sight. As soon as I got glasses I immediately saw the difference. If you can't see any difference, then either get glasses, or get a new prescription!!
Yeah and repeating what has already been said, having a good HDtv is a must as well. Cheap, bargain brand televisions really don't look good at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
kevinb
Fresh Kill

kevinb has no status.

^^ What he said.
I paid nearly $2000 for my Samsung HD 55" like 4 years ago.

No regrets
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #28
John305
Not Dead Yet

John305 has no status.

Blu-ray is all time best , no other video or DVD can compare with it. I have a lots of collection of Blu-ray movies , even i always wait for that the movie come into blu-ray format and than i purchase it or download it.

Last edited by John305; 05-13-2013 at 02:14 AM.
John305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #29
Oxley
Bastard Son of 100 Maniacs

Oxley is slice'n and dice'n.

Send a message via MSN to Oxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey View Post
No I am serious. However, I do have a uncurable eye condition which might make me see it differently, but my wife thinks HD isnt much better as well.
Watch Alien on DVD, then BluRay and you tell me there is no difference, better yet, Flash Gordon. Hands down the most beautiful transfer I've seen. Maybe on par with Alien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted View Post
When I pop in a DVD these days the grain is more apparent, the colours are wishy washy and not vibrant at all.
This.

I can't stand DVD anymore. I watch it and think "Fuck, how did I ever think this was good?"

It looks so terrible.

You do get your good transfers and bad though, I know RoboCop is fucking shitty. Same with Hellraiser, apart from the OOP Anchor Bay copies.

EDIT: I also know if you have a shitty BluRay player it's nowhere near as noticeable.

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
Oxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
BeRightBack
Flyboy

BeRightBack is doing people, and seeing things

I guess the ps3 is still one of the best blurays on the market, because it upscales my dvd's pretty damn good. The Blob (88) is one, in particular, that I recently bought, and was surprised at the non shitty look of the picture. It was actually quite crisp.

I do prefer blu, though. Ever since I saw Terminator 2 maybe 5 or 6 years ago.