Original ‘Rocky Horror’ Writer Slams Remake

I love when the sh*t hits the fan and it looks like we’re in for a treat with MTV’s remake of THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, which just found financing this week. Today a new interview was posted with Richard O’Brien, writer/co-star of the original 1975 cult classic that also starred Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon, who pretty much puts the hammer down on the idea of the remake. Read on for the juicy bits.
A remake of cult 1975 film The Rocky Horror Picture Show is being produced without the blessing of its creator Richard O’Brien, he has told the BBC.

It was announced on Wednesday that the new version, which will be co-financed by Sky Movies in the UK and MTV in the US, would be co-produced by O’Brien.

But he told the BBC he would not be involved “in any way”.

“I have no view on whether it should be remade but it doesn’t have my blessing,” he added.

The original 1975 film, starring Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meat Loaf, has become a kitsch classic.

The plot revolves around young American couple Brad and Janet who accidentally stumble into a strange world of alien transvestites and overt sexuality.

Sky announced on Wednesday that Lou Adler, executive producer on the original film, would return in the same role, while O’Brien would co-produce.

But, speaking on Wednesday afternoon, O’Brien told the BBC: “I’m not co-producing it and I won’t be involved in any way.

“The first I heard about it was when people sent me cuttings from US papers.”

He later told BBC Radio 5 Live that his involvement had been announced “to suggest I’ve given the project my seal of approval”.

The original was “a wonderful movie”, he said. “I don’t know where they’ll go with it really,” he added. “I’ve even heard that they’re going to put new songs in. “I wrote the book, the music and the lyrics. “Where are they going to get the songs from? Who’s going to do that? That’s a bit strange isn’t it?”

Source: BBC