Alfred Hitchcock’s horror masterpiece is being “meticulously restored” for high-definition just in time for Halloween! High Def Digest reports that Universal Studios has just officially announced Psycho: 50th Anniversary Edition starring Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh for Blu-ray on October 19. For this unprecedented anniversary, the classic film will also be honored at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival. The Blu-ray will feature 1080p video, a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack (as well as the original mono), and supplements will include the following extras….
– Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho).
– The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film.
– In the Master’s Shadow – Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
– Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
– Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
– The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
– The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
– Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
– The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
– Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
– Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
– Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
– Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
– Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
– Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.