To celebrate their 100th release, Synapse Films is proud to present Robert Young’s Vampire Circus as a Blu-Ray/DVD combo, chock-full of extras. Using a new transfer, which they’re billing as “the sharpest, most colorful transfer ever of Robert Young’s Hammer Films classic”, it’s set to hit shelves on December 14. I’ve actually never seen this one, and being a huge Hammer fan, I can’t wait to see it, especially in high-def.
A little girl is brutally slain by a vampire in a tiny 19th century Austrian village. Seeking revenge, the townspeople invade the foreboding castle of Count Mitterhaus and kill him for the crime. As the Count falls, he curses the villagers and vows that their children will all die so that he may someday return to life. Fifteen years later, as the village is ravaged by the plague, a traveling circus comes to town and distracts the villagers from their current hardships. Little do they know that their troubles are only beginning! The circus is actually a troupe of shape-shifting vampires and, as the local children start disappearing, they realize the prophecy of the long dead Count is coming true.
The goodie bag of candied extras that round out Synapse’s three-ring celebration include:
* THE BLOODIEST SHOW ON EARTH: MAKING VAMPIRE CIRCUS — Interviews with Joe Dante, Tim Lucas, Philip Nutman, Ted Newsom, and Darth Vader himself, David Prowse.
* GALLERY OF GROTESQUERIES – A Brief History of Circus Horrors
* VAMPIRE CIRCUS: Interactive Comic Book, with Artwork by Brian Bolland
* POSTER AND STILLS GALLERY
* ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER