Anchor Bay Entertainment, an IDT Entertainment company, gives cult film fans yet another treat with the October 24th DVD premiere of Freak Out! (review), director Christian James’s first excursion into stomach-clutching, bloodcurdling and drop-dead hilarious horror. Winner of numerous accolades including the “Commendation Award” for Feature Films at Manchester’s Festival of Fantastic Films, “Best Genre Cross-Over” Award at the Rhode Island International Horror Film Festival, and an official selection at the Montreal Fantasia Festival, Freak Out is set up to please both “serious” and “spoof” horror fans alike. Read on for the front and back cover art, along with the full specs on this jammed-packed DVD.
Turning the great horror movie clichés on their severed ears, Freak Out opens like all great slasher films — with a flashback of an incidental character. Young Cliff is being dropped off at school by his alcoholic mother, only to be tormented by his teacher and peers. Thirteen years later, Cliff escapes from a mental institution to find that the school that he vowed revenge on is no longer standing. Disappointed and with nowhere to go, Cliff wanders onto the doorstep of horror film addicts Merv and his best friend Onkey. With visions of slashers and maniacs and box-office grosses (oh my!) dancing in their heads, wannabe schlock kings Merv and Onkey fit Cliff with a potato sack on his head and cover his face with a hockey mask, transforming him into the ultimate homicidal filmaniac. Things soon take a turn for the worst after the killer “finds his groove,” dispatching shoppers and employees alike in a supermarket. With their Frankenstein officially out of control – killing everyone in sight — Marv and Onkey start to have second thoughts. Can they stop their own creation or are they – and the town — doomed?
Freak Out has already created a buzz among comedy and horror aficionados. The film has been critically acclaimed by Rue Morgue, calling Freak Out “one of the finest indie horror-comedies of the year,” All Things Zombie who raved “a winner, destined to be a fan favorite,” and Arrow-in-the-Head who dubbed the film “A high-rolling, non-stop laugh fest.”
Freak Out is stuffed with an asylum-full of bonus features including:
· Two audio commentaries with Director/Writer/Producer Christian James, Actor/Writer Dan Palmer and Actor/Producer Yazz Fetto (#1); Christian James, Dan Palmer and Actors James Heathcote, Nicola Connell and Chilli Gold, moderated by BBC Radio 1 movie critic James King (#2)
· “Making Out” Behind The Scenes Featurette
· “Geek Out” Featurette – Internet movie critics expressing their views on the movie
· “Bum-Feeling 101” Sketch featuring the characters of Freak Out
· “5 Minute Film School” Humorous and informative film school-type tips
· “Honey, I Blew Up The Looney” Featurette
· “The Video Store” Spoof films
· 17 Deleted Scenes
· Zaniac Music Video