I would be shocked if a Blu-ray release doesn’t come the same day as the 20th Anniversary DVD release of Don Mancini’s Child’s Play, which will be jammed with brand new extra features. This weekend SpookyDan caught up with the writer of the classic 1988 film, which starred Brad Dourif as serial killer named Charles Lee Ray who transfers his soul into a doll to hide from the police, only to end up as a late Christmas present for a little boy.Chucky fans should rejoice, earlier this week we spoke with writer Don Mancini about the upcoming 20th Anniversary Edition of CHILD’S PLAY on DVD… and yes, it’s completely loaded!
He told us that DVD, which arrives at retailers on September 9, is loaded with extra features thanks to Producer Michelle Gold. Still no word yet on of we’ll get a Blu-ray edition.
Here are some details:
– Commentary track with creator/writer Don Mancini and producer David Kirschner.
– A second track with FX guru Kevin Yagher, Catherine Hicks (Kevin’s wife; they met on the film), and now-grown-up Alex Vincent.
– A third track with Mancini and Chucky (Brad Dourif voicing in character).
– The film itself is presented in the long overdue 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen.
– Making-of documentary blending archival footage with new, on-camera interviews with Mancini, Kirschner, Yagher, Hicks, Vincent, Chris Sarandon, John Lafia and Brad Dourif.
The strange absence of director Tom Holland is very unfortunate. I hope they get a chance to add a commentary track from him as well. We heard through the grapevine that he is excited to be a part of this disc, and had not yet been asked (Michelle Gold… can you make this happen?).
Watch for an official announcement soon.