Last week Vanity Fair took a look back at the making of the 1984 Ghostbusters, which carried a few little juicy nuggets about the long-gestured Ghostbusters III.
The biggest is that they confirm Bloody Disgusting’s exclusive scoop that one of the new Busters will be Oscar, the son of Dana (Sigourney Weaver) and Peter Venkman (Bill Murray).
For example, Sigourney Weaver says that during one relatively recent conversation with Ivan Reitman, “I said, I have one condition want my son Oscar [from Ghostbusters II] to be a Ghostbuster, and he said, ‘We’ve already done that.’”
The magazine also confirmed that many of the original cast would like to return, something that’s been openly acknowledged over the years of development. The best little tid-bit is that Louis Tully (Rick Moranis) is in prison and that Winston is the C.E.O. of the Busters! Check this…
All of the original cast members interviewed for this article tell VF Hollywood that they’d happily participate in a third installment, and several speculated about what their characters would be up to today. Rick Moranis on the fate of Louis Tully: “He’s in prison, a cellmate of Bernie Madoff’s. They compete to see who can make their bed first in the morning.” Ernie Hudson prophesies that Winston Zeddmore would be “the C.E.O. of the Ghostbusters franchise. I just hope that he wouldn’t be on a walker or [in] a wheelchair.”
He adds wistfully: “And hopefully we’ll still be able to wear the backpacks.”
There’s plenty more on that article here.
Right now Zombieland‘s Ruben Fleischer is rumored to be in talks to direct, but before his name was linked to the project Sony had their eyes set to LEGO duo Phil Lord and Chris Miller.
In a separate article over at Screen Crush they explain why decided to ultimately pass on the project.
Right now, we’re just super tired and we want to take a break. We’re doing a TV show with Will Forte. So, we don’t really know what we’re gonna do next, we just know we can’t jump into another movie like that right away.
I think that there’s a good ‘Ghostbusters’ movie out there. It’s such a fun franchise. Obviously, we don’t have the same attitude as people who hate stuff before it’s even made. It’s a fun idea and it’s a fun world and I think it will work.
It’s nice to see how supportive Lord and Miller are of the project, and that many of the original cast members are excited to return. Clearly, there’s a fun and unique idea out there that’s good enough to grab Weaver’s attention and pull Moranis out of his long retirement. Clearly, these people don’t have to return, which only adds fuel to the fire that something special is brewing under the streets of New York City.
this week in horror
This Week in Horror - May 1, 2017 - The Mist, Hellboy, Michael...
The Mist has an extra gory new trailer, Hellboy is getting an R-rated reboot, and legendary actor Michael Parks passed away.Posted by Bloody-Disgusting on Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Here’s Exactly When You’ll Be Able to Play ‘Friday the 13th: The Game’
New ‘Halloween’ Film Gets Early Piece of Promo Art
These Are the NETFLIX Horror Films Streaming in June 2017
Watching David Lynch Get a Standing Ovation at Cannes Will Make Your Day
James Wan is Producing the ‘Resident Evil’ Reboot!