Winter and Snow Horror

as i'm sure most folks here are moved by seasonal changes to explore horrors that fall into various themes, i too love to watch winter and snow-based horrors in the winter. lately, it's been so delightfully cold and we just got some snow, that my desire for wintery horror movies is at a fever pitch.

christmas-themed movies usually have snow in them, so movies like silent night, deadly night, gremlins, and black christmas all fall into this category, but i'm also a big fan of other, non-christmas wintery flicks.

i recently watched 30 days of night, which i love, and which probably does the best job of any movie of creating a wintery, snowbound environment out of sound stages ans props. i can see fake snow a mile away, but slade and company do a really great job of making things feel authentic.

30-2.jpg

i love the brood. the snowy cold contrasts nicely with the warm interiors, not to mention the rage.

the-brood.jpg

adam green's frozen is, in my opinion, a very underappreciated movie. i have a couple of qualms--zip up your jackets, idiots, because it's hard to believe y'all are freezing to death when you haven't bothered to properly dress yourselves--but it's tense, dark, and sad. and awesome.

16(4).jpg

what're some of y'all's favorites. i assume it goes without saying that the thing (ideally both of them, er, the first two) is on our lists, but what else?

mv5bztbhmza4mgmtody3yy00nzm0lwfjntgtytkwmwjkymqxmmmzxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyntayndq2nji-_v1_.jpg?w=620

01RG604JJCvIMf9H6.jpg

Comments

• I too LOVE the winter theme!

I recently put this list Winter themed Horror list together:

https://letterboxd.com/gwally/list/winter-themed-horror-films/
  • nancenance maryland
    let the right one in and let me in are both excellent. and the dead snows are fucking good time!
  • There are several on the list that I haven't seen yet so I don't know how much the snow theme actually plays into the film.

Here is a Christmas themed horror list if you're interested:
    https://letterboxd.com/gwally/list/christmas-themed-horror-films/

I have a general Christmas film list, but it isn't public yet. Still a work in progress.
  • I thought I was the only one who liked 30 Days of Night. I'm glad to see more fans out there.

30-days-of-night-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg
  • nancenance maryland
    it's awesome and features the most interesting vampire designs (thank you, ben templesmith) ever? the whole movie is awesome.
  • I wish more vampires were done like that. They were vicious. Lately they have been turned into sparkly bitches in movies. Made a lot of people lose interest in them.
  • I just recently added 30 Days to my queue! It's been ten years since I've seen it so I'm looking forward to it.

Have you guys seen the sequel? Thoughts??
  • nancenance maryland
    edited January 2018
    they were like their own species. they had culture, they had history, they had language, and they were predators dressed up as euro-trash. and those teeth. they were great; danny huston's marlowe is one of my favorite vampires ever.

i saw the sequel once, didn't care for it. probably worth another look, tho. mr. awesome?
  • edited January 2018
    This one might be more Christmasy, but it still counts. It's also one that I always recommend and even picked in the last horror draft I participated in.

It has a few titles - Sint, Saint, Saint Nick

2d1623b2d8d37bfdce77d48b485f66e3--horror-movie-posters-grindhous.jpg

• edited January 2018
    30 Days of Night sequel wasn't good. I own it just to have it with the other one. If it's on TV I'll sometimes watch it but I would never go out of my way to put it on.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    edited January 2018
    Ravenous

Ravenous-1999-movie-1.jpg

ravenous_4.jpg

• edited January 2018
    Wrong Turn 4 B)
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    The Children

a53c3a63da72dcc146d23442fcb7efa68967f8e9_hq.gif

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• has anyone mentioned krampus, or troll hunter, or cold prey?
  • whale watching massacre
    thale
    rare exports

the jack frost movies, (if you can stand them!) Also come to mind
  • I love snowy horrors as well, its been ages since I've seen 30 days of Night but I did like it.

I will also shout at Wrong Turn 4 lol, a lot of fun!
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    The Shining

tumblr_o3h7eqdPfH1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Storm of the Century

500full.jpg

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    20150212121312-Treeskull.jpg?1423771992
    12369255_10101079374447463_8431567541175544970_n.jpg?w=960
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    tumblr_noevhaKlNp1s1v3r1o1_400.gif