Hereditary (2018)

Is the same person editing all of these A24 horror trailers? Movie looks dope and very interesting, but I do feel like A24 needs to change up their game in terms of marketing. Getting a bit old seeing critic quotes about everything being the new Exorcist and the scariest film ever made now...

Nice to see Toni Collette in a horror movie again, or just anything of note for that matter.
• Guilty Remnant •

Comments

• A24 stays the most consistent studio in the game
  • Just to be clear, I'm not knocking A24 for their output. They are without a doubt the best distributor out there and what's so refreshing is that they're not going for sold out theaters, they're going for reputation. I just feel like the marketing is all very samey, but I guess when your shit doesn't bring in mad bucks using hyperbolic quotes and kicking up a fuss about movies being life-altering terrifying is at least one way to put asses in seats?
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • @Atmosphere as you say, A24 is a small studio they need to pull out the critics quote in their marketing.

Anyhoos, hearing nothing but rave reviews about this one. I just hope the hype doesn't kill it.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    FUCKKKK! <3

• Charlie looks weird as fuck.
  • Gonna refrain from watching anything but the first trailer.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Same. I saw the trailer before A Quiet Place and that was all I needed to see.
  • Yeah, I'm refraining from any more trailers and clips, and I'm going to steer away from reading any more reviews. I know enough already to know that this is all kinds of fucked up. I want to be surprised.
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    ^ This is how I am with most of the movies I want to see. I rarely watch entire trailers and when they’re unavoidable, such as in the theater, I close my eyes and drum my fingers against my ears. Makes my daughter crazy!
  • I'm not averse to trailers, they're an important part of the hype machine and sometimes there's an art to how a good trailer is cut. What I usually find these days though is that, especially with bigger movies where there's sometimes 2, 3, 4 trailers, what's the point? If you've seen the first one, and it hooked you into seeing it... why do you need to see anymore? Exactly what happened with Hereditary for me. My interest was piqued enough to definitely check it out, but any other goodies I want to be revealed when I see the movie, not in a trailer.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • I watched a trailer analysis. If you're avoiding more info or spoilers, don't watch it.

I'll just say they point out things that don't add up, that is, "wait, what, something is going on"

And lots of foreshadowing and allusions, so like The Shining, there's a lot of crafted depth in the film to watch for

This should be quite a story to sink your teeth into

It was the cow...

• WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    Well La Tee Dah...been watching the trailer several times this evening..

....this is gonna be awesome!

tumblr_p7ijw57AFk1xo6426o1_75sq.gif
  • Looking forward to this.
  • They do trailer analysis'?

I really should have gotten into the YouTube game a few years back.
  • There is something about creepy old ladies and children, this movie is gonna have me thrown when I see it
  • when will this be on vod ?
  • Very daunting film, saw it today.

It's very unsettling and very well acted.

It's a trip and a half.
  • nancenance maryland
    i saw hereditary the other night, and let me say, toni collette gives an absolutely tour de force performance as a mother going through all manner of things. a slow, painful character study that descends into madness, hereditary builds itself with great care detail first time writer and director ari aster is amazingly confident and assured, and this movie doesn't feel at all like a first time effort. the critics are pretty in love with it, and while i wouldn't go so far as many of them, i was uncomfortable during much of the movie, due to content, images, sound, but especially character pain. there was one moment that, while i didn't jump, i did break out into involuntary goose bumps. it is the family drama that drives the tension, the horror, unleashed by horrid circumstance. well worth the time, and further evidence that horror is as vibrant as ever.
  • Spoilers:

The car scene with the pole was one of the most realistic, haunting death scenes I can remember on screen. And Toni Collette made me believe it really happened.

That scene, everything about it. Specifically her son's inability to look back and go to bed without saying anything. It was so god damn believable. Outstanding.
  • nancenance maryland
    @Glass Eater that was the first thing my brother and i discussed as we left the theater, the son's immediate "response." yeah, that was insanely effective.