Racism. Sexism. Censorship.

Recently I commented on this site's review of the film, Death Wish. The author had made a misandrist remark in the review, a generalized derogatory remark about old white men. It was the sort of thing we see all the time in media and is completely unacceptable if the remark concerns any other group than white men.

I called the author out on it. Several other commenters did as well. My comment and any other comments criticizing the slander of people based on race and gender had been removed. The authors snide remarks were a disappointment. The site's removal of people criticizing their political stance about groups of humans is pretty disgusting and reprehensible. What other hatreds are fermenting around here?

I just thought other readers would want to know about editorial policies and belief systems at this site.

I believe in a just inclusive world for everyone and fail to see how behaving in a sexist racist way contributes to that. Do we pick and choose who is included in respectful inclusion and when? Do we keep children updated as to who is ok and to be respected right now and who isn't? It's hard to predict. Maybe next week Bloody Disgusting won't like chinese people, or the mentally ill. What about if women's rights fall out of fashion? Might we then start seeing snipes at women? Perhaps Caucasian women?

Picking and choosing when one is going to be ethical and responsible or just randomly picking when or who civil courteous discourse applies to isn't a laudable path. It isn't ethical or responsible. I'm left with no choice but to understand that Bloody Disgusting has no ethics, that they believe in discrimination based on gender and race and that they are shameless enough to censor anyone who calls them on it.

I will be sure to do my best to spread the word. Potential readers may decide they'd not like to support this kind of behaviour and instead go elsewhere to get their movie media fix. There are more progressive spaces on the internet where everyone can feel respected and no one has to worry if maybe next week it is their identity up on the chopping block for ridicule.

Comments

• A long time ago on BD you could say anything and get away with it.

Not these day partner.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • When+straight+white+males+start+getting+disowned+by+their+families+_46e0602877f90d8c4289641e34243852.gif
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • What _Blakelock_ is saying is he laments the days when you could be openly racist with no consequences.

It's a hard knock life.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    Did you post your comments here in the forums or on the main site? They may be connected, but they're entirely independent of one another and moderated by separate individuals.

• "I believe in a just inclusive world for everyone and fail to see how behaving in a sexist racist way contributes to that. Do we pick and choose who is included in respectful inclusion and when?"

Yes.

~God of the fly.. release your seed of filth, to grow and conquer, on death, on myself..~
  • @Atmosphere Actually we didn’t have any racism on the boards.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • nancenance maryland
    edited March 2018
    i often wonder how straight, white, christian males survive in this hostile world that is entirely against them. original poster, i am so sorry for all that you've gone through, occasionally being forced to brush up against something that isn't actively trying to suck your dick while showering you with riches. hang in there, buddy!
  • People still think white racism is a thing? Lol. Newsflash, it's not.

Can we just stop pretending that calling someone a cracker or a basic straight, white male is not comparable to the hundreds of years of oppression that other ethnic groups have faced? White people don't get to be offended by "reverse racism", I'm sorry, that's just how it is.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • nancenance maryland
    @Atmosphere

perfectly said.
  • edited March 2018
    Without the recent history of oppression calling a white person cracker or whatever doesn't have any weight to it and isn't comparable. However making generalizations about white people and aiming bigotry or prejudice shouldn't be excused. We should be striving for equality and double standards and hypocrisy aren't going to make the world a better place.

Having looked at the review in question though I didn't find anything to warrant this reaction. It's an old white guy saying Death Wish is aimed at old out of touch white guys... You can disagree (and most BD main site reviews are terrible) but I think the author should have the freedom to say such things.

Censorship does concern me as youtube and twitter are trying to censor political content that oppose their views and that is incredibly dangerous. Can't speak for the censorship on the BD article though as I didn't see it and it could have been a response to an overreaction/derailment of the thread.
  • Didn't read the article, not sure what you're talking about, but I can give the "free speech" thing a quick test drive if you want.

Here is my opinion of most modern leftists: Weak people who can't compete in the dominance hierarchy have disguised themselves as liberals in order to gain control over others. The oldest trick in the book, "I'm so concerned and tolerant, NOW DO EXACTLY AS I SAY OR ELSE." Authoritarians disguised as liberals.

There are two types of people involved - malicious conspirators (who you will likely never meet) and useful idiots (people with good intentions who have been manipulated by the malicious conspirators). Useful idiots are EVERYWHERE these days, because people have lost the ability to think critically.

Bloody Disgusting seems okay, though. While they're obviously left-leaning, I've never held back my libertarian opinions on here, and so far they haven't given me too much shit about it. I am only on the forum though - not sure about the main page. Everyone has free speech on the forum, as far as I know.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • Nice thoughts Post Ghost, wrapped as they were in such a bouquet of condescension.

Anyone with political leanings either way is manipulated. You don't just form new political ideologies all on your own you know, you adopt them. What point are you making?

Besides this shouldn't have anything to do with political leanings, it's just basic human decency to accept the facts that some ethnic groups aren't as privileged as ourselves and so it's probably really silly to be triggered when they give us a helping of our own medicine. You're all harping on about "well if they want to be equal they should treat us equal too", but what you're forgetting is equality isn't a thing, it's not yet achieved, they're still playing catch up, and so if knocking us whiteboys back a few pegs is what it takes, I think the very least we can do is take it on the chin and get fucking on.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • "Can we just stop pretending that calling someone a cracker or a basic straight, white male is not comparable to the hundreds of years of oppression that other ethnic groups have faced? White people don't get to be offended by "reverse racism", I'm sorry, that's just how it is."

Actually, this is truly sad, and your post just above is just as bad. The more you try to justify any kind of hate or racism, the more you destroy the world

That the past has been bad and unbalanced, no shit. But you're never gonna bring balance by bringing someone else down.

You can't bring the world closer to utopia through hate, the only way humanity can ever get closer to utopia is gonna be by putting the past behind them, if you don't, you're just escalating the hate, and you get nothing but Hatfields and McCoys.

The thing is, say you have someone with grievances, and lets just say they are legitimate grievances, if you get your balance by bring someone down, now they got grievances against you, and it won't be just them, it'll be their friends and family too, and it's just gonna grow and grow. So 1 pound of balance is just gonna get you 2 or more pounds of grievances coming back your way. Then there's you again, and a friend or more of yours. And 4 pounds to the right becomes 8 pounds to the left and then 16, 32, 64, and so on

Martin Luther King and Ghandi understood this, that's why they didn't fight back physically. You can't bring balance through hate. Nazi Germany tried to do the same thing, balance through hate and bringing others down just brings retaliation. If you really knew your history, the conditions that brought on Nazi Germany started long before even World War One even. So it gets beyond any point of who started what even mattering.

You'll never make the world a better though more hate. Do you somehow think the problem in the world today is not the hatred we have now, but that there's just not enough hate yet?

Or you think, no, we just need to destroy the idea of white privilege? But then your future is just built on hatred, just like Nazi Germany tried to build a future on hatred.

But we deserve equality NOW!!! Well, no, not really. I mean, yes, or course there should be equality, but tearing other things down to get it won't work, and it can't be forced overnight. The passive resistance of MLK and Ghandi isn't what changed the world. You can change words and laws all day long, but it'll never really change the world. It can change some behavior, but you're also gonna get resistance.

You want to change the world, you need to change hearts and minds, and you can't do that through more hate. By surviving hate and racism, and keep on with the message of love and equality, that's what'll change the world, not hate.

It was the cow...

• AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited March 2018
    I'm going to say a few more things on this and then I'm done because I don't want to sound like a broken record.

I'm curious, you mentioned the word "hate" a lot, but what exactly do you mean by that? Do you think, for instance, a person of African descent making a quip about white privilege constitutes as hatred towards white people? Do you think anyone who holds white people, generally speaking, to account for enslaving, subjugating, brutally killing their ancestors is doing it because they see white skin and it fills them with hatred? I think if you talked to a lot of black people, they would tell you that they don't hate a white person because of the color of their skin. Why it is so vitally important to bring down ridiculous claims of reverse racism in this way, is that it serves as a constant reminder of our white privilege. For so long, we have viewed the world through the prism of this privilege, and if there is ever going to be effective change, one of the first steps would surely be devolution of said privilege. It's so deeply ingrained in White western culture that a lot of white folks probably aren't even aware of their own privilege until it is called out to them. How are we ever going to change if we're in denial or the second our place is brought into question we must go on the defensive or be offended?

Secondly, you talk about ignoring the past and focusing on the future, sure if it's an argument with your girlfriend... maybe that works. But we're talking about the subjugation, dehumanisation of an entire race of people, that they were equal to animals whose only worth was forced labour. How do you write that out of history? How do you move on from that? It's effects are still very much felt today, and some would argue have only mildly improved. Part of the problem here is that the white, western world generally hasn't dealt with or spoken openly enough about their ancestory, accepted their flaws, etc. Black people are reminded of their ancestory all the time, of their place in society, whether they like it or not. So should we.

The problem with your changing hearts and minds scenario is that you're not even going to be able to start if their isn't awareness and acceptance of the problem in the first place.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • nancenance maryland
    @Atmosphere goddamn! perfect.
  • You already sounded like a broken record with you first post. All you've done is repeat arguments that have lost in the public record decades ago

Racism is hate, hate is racism, if you think it's anything different, then you just trying to justify the hate, and then you say hating white people isn't hate

There's no such thing as reverse racism, it's just a way to try and justify your hate and demonize someone else's. And there's no such thing as your fictional white privilege either, if it did exist, why are there poor white people?

I never said ignore the past. But if all you do is live in the past, you can't make a future. It's not just some trite saying, it's life advice, you can see it pretty easy in divorced couples sometimes, one moves on and makes a new life, the other lives in hate and never moves forward and just stays bitter. And crying hate and racism just does the same thing, go for the solution, go for the equality, don't wave the bloody shirt which was a big lesson in history class, or has that been removed now too?

It was the cow...

• "there's no such thing as your fictional white privilege, if it did exist, why are there poor white people?"

200.gif

bye
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited March 2018
    Good, cause your fictional white privilege argument was destroyed 20 years ago, too bad you weren't paying attention

But please, show us your ignorance. I'd imagine a gif showing disdain for a truth that existed before the first incarnation of the BD site even existed should work wonders for your credibility

It was the cow...

• Typical gif retort from the stunted side. Willowfang ftw! Ah, good ole "white privilege"...... When I see a mexican family where the parents both work during the day & at night them & their 2 children go dumpster diving for bottles & cans & are able to send their 2 kids to college with money they made from said bottles & cans it just spotlights how inherently weak the whole white privilege notion is. I'd like to declare the month of March "Stop Blaming White People For Everything" month.
  • Fuck being a "white apologist". You think the Pyramids in Egypt were built by themselves? News Flash - Black people invented slavery, you think people willingly dragged boulders up ramps for sandy bread when they could have been living free off the fish and game drinking from the Nile. You know it was warring African tribes who traded their captured enemies to the white man. You think white people just ran around the jungle with nets chasing blacks all day? That would be quite a challenge. Nay, Blacks started slavery and pretty much practice it today. From pimps branding their "bitches" and selling them on the street to Boko Haram, the practice of human trafficking is alive and well and it's mostly non-whites doing it. If you're angry about slavery don't fucking blame me and my brothers who didn't have fuck all to do with what happened 200 years ago. The in-progress genocide of blacks by blacks due to gang violence outweighs anything that happened in the past anyways. As far as taking it on the chin by blacks @Atmosphere - read about the immolation murder of Jessica Chambers. This shit is a daily occurrence in the USA if you read enough.