Best Games For Average Computers

(TLDR - if you don't want to read this whole post, just look at the names of the games, they are right next to the numbers).

Most of these games are independent passion-projects of the various developers, grass-roots success story type stuff. They're affordable, most under ten bucks, and they will work on your average computer (you don't need an expensive gaming computer to play them). You can even adjust the settings on most of these, in case your machine needs them to be even more basic.

1. Lakeview Cabin Collection - You start out in a movie theater, where you can choose between different horror episodes. Each episode is original, but somewhat based on popular horror movies (without 'really' being based on them, more like homages) - Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Aliens/The Thing. Graphics are simple but pretty, tons of care went into the details.

2. Gravity Ghost - Around the time of Gamer Gate, everyone was so caught up in virtue-signaling that they almost overlooked the coolest game of 2015, which was made by a woman (Erin Robinson, considered "one of the most influential women in technology"). You're a ghost who gathers powers as she floats across the universe to terraform planets and solve a tragic family mystery. The game mechanics are the star of this show, fun and relaxing to play, graphics are gorgeous in a somewhat low-fi way.

3. Sid Meier's Pirates! - Open-world swashbuckling adventure where you can pretty much do whatever you want. Graphics and sound effects are simple but perfect, arguably the best pirate game ever made on any system ever, which is saying a lot for a game that can run on basic computers. The difficulty levels mean something, so far I can only do well on the easiest one, but hardcore players can delve deeper. You can amass fortunes in gold, dance with governor's daughters, and get revenge on the villain who did you wrong.

4. Hotline Miami (Parts One and Two) - Want to experience the joy of getting wasted by armed maniacs over and over (and over) again, until you think you can't take it anymore, only to discover that you're somehow suddenly good at it? If so, this is the game for you. On paper it looks like a disaster - controls involve the mouse and the keyboard, and you can usually go about ten seconds before getting blown away, but once you get used to it you realize there is really no other way you'd want it to be - it's perfect, in a sick sort of way (lots of blood and guts).

5. Postal (original low-fi version) - This is a twin-shooter game, so you'll want to have an X-box style PC controller to play. It's just what it says - you are a lunatic who goes postal and blows everyone on the screen away (although, to be fair, you only really need to shoot the bad guys, so it doesn't have to be so controversial). Amusingly, it seems like this one was kind of a big deal when it came out, causing the video game critics to have a conniption over the wanton violence, but if you play the game all the way through, the story makes it clear that violence is like, wrong and stuff.

There are more but this post is getting too long, so I'll stop being so descriptive.

6. Pony Island - You are a person who died and entered a video game as a pretty pony. You are in Hell, and you have to compromise with Satan to get out, and Satan seems disinterested in the whole thing for the most part. Solve (sometimes annoying) puzzles, shoot evil things with bar-style lasers from your skull, or something. Weird but fun.

7. Beat Cop - You're a cop on the street doing mundane things like ticketing cars, arresting thieves, humoring the elderly and taking bribes, all the while trying to solve a greater crime mystery. This game is fast moving, and requires a lot of attention if you want to do well.

8. Faster Than Light - Ever feel like getting REALLY FRUSTRATED as your spaceship gets ruined and your fellow astronauts die horrible deaths, knowing there is nothing you can do about it and that you're next on the list? That's this game, basically. It's hard, but that's what gaming nerds love about it.

9. Zombie Night Terror - Interesting approach to the zombie genre, making you the zombie, game that isn't action but more of a strategy puzzler, fun and frustrating in equal measure, neat graphics.

10. Thimbleweed Park - Point and click adventure by the masterminds who brought us Maniac Mansion, same type of game, lots of fun, has a bit of an X-files vibe.

Note - these weren't in any particular order, the list just makes for easier reading.
I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight

Comments

• I’ll list some too.

Half Life
    Half Life 2
    Stardew Valley (a must play)
    The Long Dark
    Steamworld Dig
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • @_Blakelock_ Thanks for your list. Checked out Stardew Valley, looks like a good game - affordable too.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • Stardew Valley is so addicting, and when you factor in its price point and how much you’ll end up playing it’s a steal. They’ve got co-op coming soon for it as well, it’s gonna be fantastic.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!