Off-Topic Thread April 2018: Horror Now Cause Halloween is Too Far Away Edition

Comments

• Banned again? That's gotta be some kind of record.

So...what did Geek do this time?

• ....Lol
  • I always miss the good stuff.
  • He asked to be banned.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Blast asked to be banned....
    conanfreakingout-5939b5c7becd0.gif

On a completely unrelated note, I'm back from New Orleans bitches! And it was really cool! I almost didn't want to leave.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• @Mayday What was the haunted hotel like?

It's Wrestlemania weekend now.
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    @Mayday Welcome back! I hope you had a swell time. I couldn't convince anyone that you gave me a score of 7,871,275. :/
    @Midnight-Kroovy The hotel I stayed at was Le Pavillon. It wasn't one of the 'major' haunted hotels, like the ones in the French Quarter (which I learned all about on a couple of Ghost Tours). They did give you a hand out if requested that explained how some paranormal investigators checked it out in 1996 and found cold spots and bad feelings on 4 of the floors (not the one I stayed on alas) and guest reported some sightings and playfulness by the ghosts - turnign on showers late at night, moving objects around the room - but overall I was disappointed. We experienced a number of issues with the hotel service, so I would NOT recommend it by any means.

@gwally I only scored you 7,871,257. No wonder everybody figure you out.
    And hotel issues aside, I did very much enjoy NO. Wish I had acouple more days there. The haunted tours were cool, the Voodoo Museum was pretty cool, and only $5; the voodoo souvenir shops were cool but too touristy. I found a possibly more legit one, but by that time I was so worn out I decided I didn't want to spend mroe time shopping. I finally got beignets and they were delish! Ironically, the ones I got at the airport were incredible - light, flaky, scrumptuous. We tried them at The Beignet Cafe which is 'world famous' for them, and while they tasted good, they were incredibly dense, and I could only eat half of one cause we also got breakfast and that all filled me up.

• Finally got my tooth abcess to drain. Sweet relief.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • @_Blakelock_ , glad to hear. Tooth/gum pain fucking sucks. I'm currently battling a swollen gum and a canker sore.
    @_Blakelock_ Good news!

@H.P. Pufncraft - Get the amino acid L-Lysine for canker sores. It helps make them go away faster and taken every day helps prevent them. You can find it with the vitamins in any drug/grocery store/Wal-Mart/Target. When you have sores, take it twice a day - at least 500-1000mg.

• Thanks Mayday I'll look for that tonight.
  • I just turned on the TV and it was the men's 20km walk at the commonwealth games. It's the funniest looking thing :s
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    @H.P. Pufncraft Hang in there, things will turn around for you.

@Mayday I'm glad you had a good time! There is so much to see and do in NO. Start planning your next visit!
  • Thanks Gwally. Even though it would be nice to meet someone for real, right now I'm going to focus on the good things I do have in my life like my family.
  • nancenance maryland
    glad nawlins was a blast. that place changed my life.

chillin with my wife, listening to jazz, drinking (she wine, me whiskey), drawing. really, really pleasant saturday night
    @gwally @nance There's def still stuff I want to do there, like more ghost tours and visit the Lafayette cemetery. I tried to visit it, but the easiest/cheapest way from where I was was to take the trolley, and though I tried, it was a total clusterfuck and I finally gave up and went back to the French Quarter instead. And there's more food I want to try. Going with your family and 2 1/2 members are picky/difficult makes it hard to eat the food you really want. :angry:

• @Mayday Did you try the hand grenade drink? Tropical isles sell them on the French Quarter. Loved it!

There was stuff I couldnt fit in my trip either, I need to revisit as well.
    @Midnight-Kroovy I passed by the joint but did not try the hand grenades. And despite being surrounded by places serving Hurricanes, including visiting Jean Lafitte's bar, I didn't drink those either. I hate rum. I love pirates, but sadly would not have made a very good one. Yo ho ho and bottle of Vodka.

• gwallygwally Snowhio
    edited April 2018
    Good attitude, Puf!

@nance Have you watched Ken Burn's Jazz series? I've been listening to some live jazz recordings and a friend suggested it. It's available on Amazon Prime, but possibly edited.

@Mayday It's tough finding a balance when you're traveling/sight-seeing with others, especially in a city with as much to offer as NO. My last trip was for the Final Four in 2012, but we tried to take in as much as we could while we were there. Squeezing so much into a few days was a bit of a pins. We did a walking tour which included St. Louis Cemetery No. 2. We also toured a property that was supposed to be "The House of the Rising Sun." The tour guide made it seem as if it was a chance opportunity, but it was totally staged. It was very cool though. We wanted to take in some local music so we went to Frenchman St. and just picked a place at random. The Spotted Cat Music Club is a little dive, but the band that was playing was incredible! Kristina Morales & The Bayou Shufflers are regulars and well worth a listed if you ever make it back.

EDIT: The best meal I had that trip was at the Stanley restaurant on Jackson Square. Breaux Bridge Benedict: smoked ham, American cheese, poached eggs and Creole hollandaise. And oysters!
This discussion has been closed.