The Meg (2018)

Comments

• Yeah if it flops ill just be happy that they made a Meg movie, said the same thing about Dark Tower but who cares really.
  • Jonas is Jimmy Buffet channeling Jacques Coustea? We must've read different books. Jonas is very much a man of action. Never had huge expectations for this since Turtletaub was announced as director. He's a competent director but not an inspired choice. I'm expecting not so much a suspenseful ride as I am some dumb fun which is what the books are basically.
  • If you punch a shark directly on the nose it will startle it.
  • looks decent enough. I'll watch it at least once.
  • I would gladly take a heap of this if it weren't deep fried in Chinese propaganda.
  • nancenance maryland
    eh, that's what finally got this movie made. i'm okay with it.
  • candicecandice Los Angeles
    So excited to see this movie! Looks like a fun popcorn experience, like The Shallows, which was also a lot of fun in theaters.
  • nancenance maryland
    @candice did you see 47 meters down? i was having a great time with it, found it possibly better than the shallows and then the end fucked it all up for me. i'm curious what others thought.
  • I'm pumped for this. I'm not expecting anything more than a big budget dumb giant shark movie. If it's as good as The Shallows I'll be happy. My expectations are in check.
  • Are we really comparing this to real shark movies
  • As opposed to what? Fake shark movies where it turns out to just be a guy in a mask or something?

It was the cow...

• nancenance maryland
    how many "real" shark movies are there? jaws. jaws 2? maybe open water cuz it's so fatalistic and harsh. all the others are of the same ilk.
  • This is a bullshit over the top family movie lol
  • I'd count the Shallows as a real shark movie.
  • nancenance maryland
    i liked the shallows a lot, but it was pretty silly. that shark wouldn't have bothered eating the dozen or so people that kept coming into the water with an awesome whale carcass floating about was, honestly, hard for me to get past. i feel like the shallows was more of a survival movie as opposed to a shark movie. but the effects were cool and the drama palpable, so i'll grant it as real, glass.
  • Each to their own but The Shallows left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially with that ending I facepalmed at. It did have some badass visuals though.

I've got a film called Orca (1977) that I've never got round to watching thats supposed to be pretty good.
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    ^Orca is a very cool.
  • Dumbldore vs Free Willy!!!

^Orca was very cool at the time, maybe a mini Moby Dick?

Trying to remember, but bet it's gonna be dated, but still some fun

It was the cow...

• gwallygwally Snowhio
    Yes, Orca has that Moby Dick vibe, but still enough of its own story to make it interesting. I was ten when it came out and wanted to see it in the worse way, but didn't get the opportunity until a few years ago. Honestly, I couldn't figure out why I had wanted to see it so badly, but I did enjoy it and I think it's held up nicely.
  • nancenance maryland
    orca is fantastic. it's one of the few movies that actually ascribe agency to an other than human animal.

have y'all seen 47 meters down? the ending left a really bitter taste in my mouth.