Friday the 13th REBOOT (feedback/ideas)

Hello fellow fans of Friday the 13th and all horror alike, I am an aspiring screenwriter and have obligated myself to writing a complete reboot of Friday the 13th. Not only am I writing a full length screenplay for a "possible film" but I'm also wanting to write a movie for the fans, so I'm taking any possible input into consideration throughout this writing process. I want to hear what the fans want/don't want. I know a potential "remake" is not something some of you want to begin with, but I feel it's because we're all worried that it won't be handled in a way it should be. For example, exploring the Voorhees legacy and/or a complete retelling/origin story is a definite "no go" for the multiple reasons. One being that it just reveals too much or "humanizes" the villain. So I was thinking maybe a return to camp, with solid, likable/relatable characters set in either the modern era or the 80's. Also, the main element I want to capture in my vision is to make it really dark and scary. More grounded in reality than just a campy slasher flick. This is a classic and beloved franchise and I intend to do justice by the fans and to the franchise itself with also bringing in some originality to the story as well.

ANY INPUT/ IDEAS ARE WELCOME. POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE. THIS PROJECT IS FROM A FAN FOR THE FANS.

Comments

• If you’re asking for input, you’re not ready to write anything. Post whatever fan fiction you have on reddit and be done with it.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • I have concepted many stories and plot points for this project over the past month or so, just as many screenwriters do, so I do believe I am ready to write this. The reason for the post was to get some fan feedback and ideas, so I'll know what changes to make before I get into the first official draft. Also, I will not be releasing any drafts online as I have a few connections in the industry and people close to NewLine. It might be a hell of a stretch, but my goal is to get a copy to NewLine for when the rights issue is settled.
  • Of course you won’t publish anything online. Of course you have connections at New Line. Of course you just want ideas, but you have your own material.

Sounds like you have a solid plan in place.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • Like you, I have connections in the industry. I'm ghost writing the next Star Wars movie.

In all seriousness, if you're an aspiring writer, cut the bullshit and write an original horror. Hollywood isn't shopping scripts for another Friday reboot from some unknown on a message board. Have your own voice, that's the only way you're ever going to get anywhere in this business.

Side note, "a reboot for the fans" is possibly the worst motto anyone could have. Like, us horror fans haven't heard that one a thousand times over. Making a movie to service fans is probably one of the most naive, blindsighted recipes for disaster.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    So do we get paid if we help with ideas and you are able to sell the screenplay?