2018 All Genre Draft Discussion Thread

Comments

• nancenance maryland
    love watership down and enemy mine! nice.

pick is in!
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    Picks are in.

REALLY diggin’ your list, nance!
  • nancenance maryland
    @gwally thanks, man. and literally, e.t. is one of my all-time favorite movies. the frog scene is one of my favorite cinematic moments.
  • I decided to go with Grotesque and The Pest House because they seem to have contrasting views of Evil. Like many other X-Files episodes, Grotesque posits that Evil is a kind of external force that can infect and spread from one person to another. The Pest House, on the other hand, seems to suggest that Evil is an innate part of human identity. I find both interpretations to be very interesting and creepy.
  • Watership Down....+3

Keehar is my spirit animal.
  • FlaggFlagg Michigan
    @TexasSnacks 7/10 for Adventureland. It's surprisingly well acted but the jokes and overall story fell a bit flat for me. I was impressed by Kristen Stewart, I've never seen any of her work due to a general hatred towards the idea of "sparkly vampires" but it turns out she's kinda likeable.

@H.P. Pufncraft 10/10 for Familiar. Great "monster of the week' episode, Mr Chuckleteeth and the knock-off Teletubbie are creepy as fuck.

"Little old lady got mutilated late last night" [Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London, 1978]

• @Flagg , thanks! I think it's one of the creepiest episodes the show's ever produced.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    @Flagg thanks for checking it out. I just love the 80s feel to it. I enjoy all the supporting characters that helps give the movie its quirkiness. Stewart and Eisenberg click with each other. This is the movie that made me really start to like Kristen Stewart as well.
  • nancenance maryland
    pick is in! sorry for the delay!
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    Pick is in!
  • @Orville Ketchum , I just picked up Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla on DVD off eBay for only $15. What a steal.
  • nancenance maryland
    pick is in again!
  • nancenance maryland
    great pick with love & basketball, tex! i love that movie!
  • @H.P. Pufncraft That's rad. I only have a DVD-R.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Thanks Nance! It's one of the few "romance" movies that I enjoy.
  • Evil doesn't always have to be a big, splashy thing like killing someone. Evil can be something far more mundane (and insidious) like breaking someone's spirit. That's why I think Lucy Butler is the scariest monster in any of Chris Carter's shows. A review for A Room with No View on AV Club sums it up best: "Sometimes evil isn't just chaos; sometimes, it's finding the brightest stars, and finding a way to dim their glow forever." For anyone interested, A Room with No View will be my Drafters Choice Rec for this particular draft. I hope you all get a chance to check it out. My brother (Churchy)'s Rec will be Batman Ninja.
  • I'm watching Frequency right now. This movie fucking rocks!
  • edited May 2018
    Frequency...+3

That might just be my favorite rec from any draft ever. Thanks Cerraphim!
  • I decided to have some fun with my last 2 picks by drafting the only 2 traditional zombie "episodes" from The X-Files. Considering I've drafted a few Millennium episodes already, choosing the crossover episode next seemed like a given. For those who might be wondering, Renascence is the first part of the video game Resist or Serve, which is structured like 3 lost episodes from season 7. It actually has a really creepy storyline with some nice voicework by David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. I also like how the Resident Evil-esque story plays with your expectations. At first you think it'll be a monster of the week story with ties to witchcraft and demons. However, you soon realize that the evil in the story is not supernatural in nature but rather connected to a conspiracy of men (with some ties to the Alien mythology of the original series). Overall, it's a fun hybrid episode that I recommend checking out. The first 3 videos of the playlist I posted are a play through of Renascence, if anyone wants to check it out.
  • nancenance maryland
    @Orville Ketchum great pick with vampire lovers!

@Cerraphim love dragonslayer!

@churchy you get the award for gutsiest, boldest pick in the whole draft. i am a spider-man fiend, spider-man 2 is my favorite comic book movie of all-time, and there are so many things about spidey 3 that are good, even though there's lots that drive me crazy. it's polarizing to be sure. my sons love it also.

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif