Pro Wrestling Thread

Comments

• Heard rumors that for the womens Royal Rumble Ronda Rousey will win and face Charlotte at Mania. That would be awesome!
  • A women’s Royal Rumble match would be the train wreck to end all train wrecks. Their battle royals allow for eliminations trough the ropes, imagine trying to have one with all over the top rope eliminations. The botches would go on for days.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • Asuka/Charlotte should be the goal
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Watching WWE's In Your House: Canadian Stampede from 1997. Main event was nuts. Crowd was rabid. Fun show.
  • edited November 2017
    @TexasSnacks I rec the Kevin Owens 365

I watched some WCCW shows today from 87/88. Some of the shows were in this big outdoor texas Bullring, was kinda cool. Guys were so fucking Jacked and roided. Kerry Von Erich looked like an Adonis.

Also Al Perez looked like Seth Rollins.

02.jpg
    It's happening!

• edited December 2017
    Saw on the Network there was a Rock/HHH/Lesnar triple threat in Europe somewhere on some Global Warning PPV. It's the only match from the show on there, near 60,000 crowd and a really cool look. Hard to tell with crowds like that if they're super into the match but they got HOT when The Rock was doing his thing. Really dope match.

edit

Also watched Hardy's/Benjamin & Hass somehow which was fun. Some cool spots with Benjamin.
  • It's too bad Jericho's going to job to him when the match happens.
  • Well duh how the fuck is Chris fucking Jericho supposed to beat Omega when kayfabe wise there's only one other guy in the world better than him

Out of kayfabe too actually
  • I can see them wanting an extended program since Jericho has his Cruise next year and Bullet Club want to do an indie show with 10k attendance in 2018.

But yeh, Jericho deffo looks like he's in his Twilight years and less agile in the ring. I think I'd prefer to see him as a face at this stage in his career.
    "how the fuck is Chris fucking Jericho supposed to beat Omega"

By cheating? This is wrestling after all. Yes by kayfabe Jericho would be outmatched but a wily veteran using dirty tricks beating Omega. Would love to see the mark outrage. Haha.

"when kayfabe wise there's only one other guy in the world better than him"

according to who?

also Jericho is one guy I wouldn't want to mess with in real life. I don't much about Omega outside the ring.
  • Jericho is one of the last of the old school who can take care of themselves, he's always getting into fights cause some fan has given him shit lol. He even confronted Brock, what a madman.
  • edited December 2017
    Co-main event of the Tokyo Dome and you think they're gonna pull some bullshit? That's not how New Japan rolls. First off, they wouldn't do that for their second biggest match, and second, they wouldn't toss their booking for the last year out the window. The only people at Kenny's level are Okada and Naito. Juice got a shock win over him (story being Omega didn't take him seriously, beat up from G1) and Ishii beat him when his guard was down after the Tokyo Dome last year. Omega and Jericho are both selling that this isn't so much going to be a match, but a fight. They're lax on disqualifications as it is, both are gonna kill each other. And Kenny is undeniably going to win because he's practically untouchable right now.

According to who? Everyone paying attention? Okada's has arguably the greatest championship reign in the history of wrestling right now. It took a full G1 and three matches over 130+ minutes for Kenny to FINALLY beat a worn down Okada, Evil too. They're god tier wrestlers. In/out of kayfabe

edit

My and other fans biases of course, but by my count Okada has four 5* matches, three at 4.75, and a couple more at 4.5... this year. I've heard Meltz bring up Flair in 89 being close, but I really don't see how it could be.

edit 2

Omega attacks Jericho at the press conference

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZMUmyMs8dkk

Cut a pretty great promo before this too

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WnqAJmkBD2E

• Match ratings in Wrestling make me want to sick up my guts.
    Yup. The fact that Meltzer gave 6.25 stars on a 5 star scale is puke inducing and proves what a joke his ratings are. It's all subjective anyways.
  • edited December 2017
    edit I should clarify that those are MY ratings, only brought up Meltz because he's a guy who'd have a good grasp on comparable title reigns.

If you go watch say Shawn/Taker, which Meltz gave 5 stars

Then you watch Omega/Naito G1, or the Okada matches

How can you lump it in with the rest of the 5's when it's better than everything you've ever seen? He's gave quite a few 5+'s in the 90's.

Lol @ the subjectivity, of course it is. The matches are still better than almost everything else at any point in history, if you don't think so I'd love to see it argued.
    We have done circles around this before and you know I give credit to the in ring work of today's workers. Even though it's not my cup of tea. It's a completely different era as far as the actual wrestler/work rate goes. In the 80's and 90's there was only a handful of guys like Ric Flair, Steamboat, HBK etc (that were known world wide at least) and now there are tons that are similar. I'm not saying they are as good just as far as work rate goes.

But my issue with Meltzer's ratings is this is the type of wrestling he enjoys so of course he is going to put it over more. Also you can't have a 5 star scale and all of a sudden say "oh this is a 6.25 star match". It just reeks of being a pompous mark jackass. Change your scale then or it's simply a 5 star match.