What's the Last Book You Read?

Comments

• MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    512sM3Kb-8L._SY445_QL70_.jpg
    Get Even - Gretchen McNeil. Kind of a better written Pretty Little Liars meets Desperate Housewives. McNeil gets better with each book she writes.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

41Si+PJsGkL._AC_US218_.jpg
    We Should Have Left Well Enough Alone - Ronald Malfi. A new collection of short fiction by one of today's master horror authors. Like any anthology, some stories are better than others. But Malfi's works are all well-written, even if the subject matter isn't always the greatest, and nearly every tale has a a real gut-punch and often somewhat ambiguous ending.

51yRIVigTYL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Dark Matter - Blake Crouch. Of the Blake Crouch books I've thus far read, this one is by far the best, most ambitious one he has penned. A great sci-fi/horror thriller that tackles the whole multi-universe trope really well.

00e639dfe10d2ccf26f107891200fdff.jpg
    Strange Weather - Joe Hill. A collection of four novellas by Hill. I was a little hesitant at first because short-form writing is not his strength. 20th Century Ghosts is by far his weakest writings. However, this collection was like reading Stephen King's Four Seasons back in the day. The best two were definitely: "Snapshot" was a near perfectly structured old school horror story about a creepy guy and his camera; and "Rain", an apocalyptic weather scenario that touches today's socio-political upheavels, but is told in break-neck fashion instead of being dragged out. "Aloft" was a more whimsical and kind of odd tale about a skydiving adventure that turns our in very unexpected ways. The one clunker in the book is :"Loaded: which is too heavy handed an anti-gun declaration, and pretty poorly written as the first half seems like a bunch of random incidents, which later sort of tie in the second half of the story. That one tale aside, the other three are Hill at his best.

53097f47cca67feb3012f83528dfe9a7.jpg
    Glass Houses - Louise Penny. The latest in the Chief Inspector Gamache series, also one of the best.

25116453.jpg
    Relic - Gretchen McNeil. A full-blown horror story from someone whose books tend to be more thriller, but it was a fast-paced, entertaining, quick read.

6f74706e7b01734716fbdb202d95f9fe.jpg
    Nothing to Lose - Lee Child. One of the more ridiculous Jack Reacher novels plot-wise, but still an entertaining read.

51iMVYwbPNL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Dragon Teeth - Michael Crichton. A wonderful, classic Crichton historical fiction tale about the "Bone Wars" of the post-Civil War American West. Some of it is a bit far-fetched with several famous people appearing the story, but it was great to read one last Crichton book.

61srhXOFyBL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    In a Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware. A compelling thriller debut. The plot remains twisty until eventually it becomes obvious, but still a good read.

51BO0BpjGrL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Relics - Tim Lebbon. A dark fantasy/horror tale by Lebbon about mythological creatures and the organized crime that seeks them out. Good book, possibly the beginning of a series.

51ba699jSlL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Cross the Line - James Patterson. More like his older books than some of his more recent ones, this Alex Cross thriller was a quick-paced, less family drama-filled story.

51SfHG4S63L.jpg
    The Blackhouse - Peter May. A thriller about a Scottish police detective returning to the Hebrides isle on which he grew up to investigate a murder. Although the ending was bit underwhelming, overall it was a solid book.

• Just started...757479.jpg
    3c0c5e7806562ca300addedc7be8880a.jpg
    Vault of the Ages - Poul Anderson. Both a post-apocalyptic and fantasy tale, as after a nuclear war, society has returned a medieval type of living.

• Doug Stanhope - This is Not Fame
    Loved It! If you're a fan of his stand up, I highly recommend.
    513mZ5P4MmL._SY445_QL70_.jpg
    Pandemonium - Warren Fahy. The sequel to his crazy, brutal Fragment. The story is definitely action-packed, but there was something about the writing that I found it hard to read through at a good pace, and it eventually felt like Fahy was trying to one-up his previous novel. It was entertaining, but not as good as Fragment.

• mDD4I5h.jpg

House of Evil/The Indiana Torture Slaying - John Dean
    [True Crime]

When John Dean was commissioned to write a book about the account of Sylvia Likens (in 1966), he was a newspaper reporter who was fascinated by the story, just as everyone else seemed to be. Still, he didn't think it would become the cult classic it is today. Why, all these years later, are people still so interested in what happened to Sylvia inside that house? It gives no comfort to read of her confinement; unrelenting torture; twisted sexual torment; the unbearable mental pain she must have endured; or the distress of her poor body as the reader is taken on a journey of how she becomes a skeleton and is shown pictures that verify it. Pictures that also show how far some people will go to inflict such cruelty onto another person (I'll say no more or give away the story). Why, then, does this story continue to fascinate and impress upon people? Do we want to be appalled? Disgusted by the acts of others? Me? I enjoy true crime stories and this was no exception. It was well written if not a little backwards sometimes, which confused me a bit. There are a lot of people involved in the murder, investigation, and court cases (the "cast of characters," so to speak). That could be confusing for some, as well, though I had no difficulties. The only thing that made me put the book down at times were the graphic pictures that would haunt my mind. It's a torture book, a true crime torture slaying ... she was tortured. It goes into detail pretty often and pretty early in the book. I'm not ashamed to admit that it bothered me that this happened to a little girl and looking at mine, I didn't know if I could finish the book. I did and I'm glad. It's one I'm going to add to my collection and definitely recommend to others if they enjoy true crime books. Horribly horrifying!
    c997a8d7f45c2d06d3478d0da91c8046.jpg
    Daemonic - Stephen Laws. An old school British horror novel from the 90s about six people mysteriously offered a case full of money to visit a reclusive movie mogul in his looming tower. This story reminded me of the heyday works of James Herbert, Clive Barker and Brian Lumley. Although it was too long and drawn out, it still incorporated the styles of some masters of horror fiction to create a very good story.

• 34520458.jpg
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • nancenance maryland
    edited January 2018
    annhilation by jeffrey vandermeer. loved this delightfully staccato book about what exactly? a group of cryptically assembled researchers heads into area x to investigate what exactly is going on there and everything changes. i really liked this book, and it was nice to read it not long after reading william boyd's brazzaville beach. weird, tense, mysterious, and super economical, reading this got me nice and hyped for the movie.

51ZMTRrWB8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

just finished unknown pleasures: inside joy division by peter hook, bassist for joy division and new order. loved this book. hook proves to be a funny and smooth writer, detailing much of joy division's process, experience, and impact, while also talking a lot about ian curtis. i was struck by hook's honesty--and clear shame--about the way all of them, not the least of which ian, just kind of soldiered on through curtis' epilepsy, mental stat, and challenging personal life. old and wise hook clearly feels that they should have done more, insisted curtis rest, but it was all about the band. in the aftermath of suicide--and forever after, really--you spend a lot of time wondering what you could have--should have--done. i appreciated hook's thoughts on this, and they obviously touched me on a personal level. i love joy division, and this read was a fascinating, entertaining, tragic examination of a hardworking, artistically gifted band. and of course, like everything in the late seventies, it all started after seeing a sex pistols show...i guess that's why they call it post-punk, eh?

41l0oFtZYFL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • nancenance maryland
    blindsighted by karin slaughter. oh wow, slaughter is just an utterly powerful writer. masquerading as a writer of popular fiction, slaughter writes fucking dark, heavy stuff. i'm so excited that this novel is the first in a series, about the characters living in a small town in georgia, as i'll get to spend more time with them. of course, as is always the case, intense darkness percolates beneath the seemingly idyllic rockwellian surface. slaughter writes hard southern gothic, putting her characters through, literally, unbelievable torment and trials, while also making their perseverance and intelligence shine. as difficult as it can be to read much of what happens in blindsighted, much of what's inflicted, her characters behave in hearteningly intelligent and resilient ways. i've only read two of her novels, but the way relationships--particularly between women--define her stories is completely, jaw-droppingly delightful.

Blindsighted.jpg