The Criterion Collection Welcomes Night of the Living Dead

WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
Pre Order

https://www.criterion.com/films/29331-night-of-the-living-dead

909_DVD_box_34x490_original.jpg

Shot outside Pittsburgh on a shoestring budget by a band of filmmakers determined to make their mark, Night of the Living Dead, directed by horror master George A. Romero, is one of the great stories of independent cinema: a midnight hit turned box-office smash that became one of the most influential films of all time. A deceptively simple tale of a group of strangers trapped in a farmhouse who find themselves fending off a horde of recently dead, flesh-eating ghouls, Romero’s claustrophobic vision of a late-1960s America literally tearing itself apart rewrote the rules of the horror genre, combined gruesome gore with acute social commentary, and quietly broke ground by casting a black actor (Duane Jones) in its lead role. Stark, haunting, and more relevant than ever, Night of the Living Dead is back, in a new 4K restoration.

New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary R. Streiner, and presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
Night of Anubis, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
New piece featuring Russo about the commercial and industrial-film production company where key Night of the Living Dead filmmakers got their start
Two audio commentaries from 1994, featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor
Judith O’Dea, and more
Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
New programs about the editing, the score, and directing ghouls
New interviews with Gary R. Streiner and Russel W. Streiner
Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
More!
PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans

February 2018

Comments

• It is about time Romero's classic gets the "Criterion" treatment. I am rather excited about this, being released on my birthday month!!!!
  • travisbickletravisbickle Florida
    edited February 2018
    $18 on Amazon right now, great price for a Criterion.

Won't get any lower and likely won't last very long... order away!
  • Thanks Travis! Can't wait for this!
  • Came in the mail today a week early. YeeHaw!
  • ^Lucky. I probably won't get mine until the end of next week.

Amazon really likes to stick it to their non-prime customers.
  • The picture quality on this release is nothing short of glorious. By far the best I've ever seen this classic look.
  • Sex.

~God of the fly.. release your seed of filth, to grow and conquer, on death, on myself..~
  • nancenance maryland
    just got mine!