Freddy vs Jason
Pt 4: The Dream Master
Pt 5: The Dream Child
Pt 6: The Final Nightmare
Remake/reboot
"Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us." -Tim Burton

Comments

• "Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us." -Tim Burton
  • Loved the first four. Me and those movies were in a relationship. Things got serious. I hated part 5 and just felt confused by how bad it was. Maybe the commercial success of Part 4 gave them a case of the jitters and they dropped the ball. Part 6 was tolerable. I've seen it a few times, and I kind of like how scrappy it is. Plus, Roseanne and Tom Arnold.

New Nightmare is not my cup of tea, even though it was very original and a precursor to Scream. It was like Jason Goes To Hell - I like the movies how they are already, don't need any fancy stuff.

I don't think I was technically conscious for the remake - about five minutes in my brain shut off out of self defense.

Also, good gosh, the pic you posted - check out how beautiful that cover art is for the first six movies.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    I think one of the best things about New Nightmare was that Freddy was “scary” again.
  • This franchise was everything to me in the 80's. Pretty much obsessed with these films and Freddy Krueger. Has Freddy t-shirts, the glove and the film posters all over my bedroom wall.

The original is certainly the best, but I have such fond memories of Part 4. By that stage, Freddy was a household name and the hype for Dream Master was huge, and the film delivers big time.

5 and 6 are OK but clearly, the tank had run dry so I'm glad it finished when it did, although New Nightmare was pretty good and seemed to give Freddy a better ending.

Can't really say anything good about FVJ and the remake was a disaster.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    edited May 2018
    FYI, Entire series was recently added to HULU. It's has been a long time since I have watched the series all the way through. Might just have to do that.
  • "Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us." -Tim Burton
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I love him
  • Why did nobody tell me The Dream Master is the best film in the franchise?
  • The Dream Master gets love on this board, I like it as much as The Dream Warriors. Crazy Practical effects and awesome kills.

I wanna see Freddy on The Goldbergs!
  • Dream Master is easily my favorite.
  • Am i the only one who does not see "New Nightmare" as a guilty pleasure? I fucking love that movie and not ashamed to admit it.
  • New Nightmare is one of the best in the whole franchise.
  • New Nightmare is the second best, and in some regards the best made in the entire series.
    Remake
  • People give so much shit to that movie because of the plot and i was a little too young to witness the fallout of it but looking back i think fuck me that was a great idea. People hated the fact but considering over time Freddy Krueger was nothing more than Bill Burr with scar tissue where else was it going to go? well done Wes and RIP it's not the same without you.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    New Nightmare is second to the original to me.

• why does it have such a bad rap, listened to many podcast and when that movie comes up its either *Groan* or "thats a guilty pleasure for me" and im thinking have you even seen freddy's dead, the movie that had offically killed off freddy and did it awfully and to add insult to injury they decided to stage a funeral which says "yay look what we managed to do, our movie is awesome" fuck that.

ANOES (still effective)
    New Nightmare ( great new view of Freddy)

• New Nightmare is generally regarded as the best or top three with the original and Dream Warriors, at least among the non horror crowd.
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited October 2018
    NN isn't bad, but not a favorite either.

The movies are fictional in the first place, but real in the series, then NN makes them fictional movies in a fictional universe. As Wes says in his office, those dream worms are real, and kind've followed his movies.

The movie just makes all the other movies not real so it paints itself into a corner.

It was the cow...

• nancenance maryland
    wes craven's new nightmare is genius, and precedes scream as an aware deconstruction of horror. i enjoy dream master--as everyone has mentioned, the effects are top notch, and also i find the cast to be super likeable--but i don't hold it as one of the best of the series. it's bubblegum. once freddy dons sunglasses whilst hanging out on a beach, man, i knew it was over. and the dialogue is, imho, pretty bad. super fun, super silly.

my rankings:
    anoes
    new nightmare
    dream warriors
    freddy's revenge
    dream master
    freddy's dead
    dream child
  • How in the hell was Jason Goes To Hell fancy stuff? Its high concept was ripping off three other body hopping horror movies that had came out in the five year-period before it got shit out; The Hidden, The First Power, The Borrower. Besides actually being an ambitious concept, A New Nightmare took place outside of the continuity of the rest of the series. Jason Goes To Hell was even more desperate garbage after the previous two movies had already tried a psychic girl gimmick and letting him loose in the Big Apple.

Johnny Depp and those first few batches of kids didn't know how easy they had it at the time, getting sliced and diced instead of turned into goddamn cockroaches.