Off-Topic Thread January 2018: Brand Spankin' New Year Edition

Comments

• I was just thinking about The Room, and been years since I saw it...

But what if it’s not actual that bad, per se, but what keeps it going is:

The dialogue is written to say what they want to convey emotions motionally, so like they’re speaking what their emotional lizard centers are saying, instead of what a person would actually say, and no one has been able to put their finger on it (until me if I’m right)

And those that “enjoy” it, subconsciously, have understood that?

Of course, we still can’t help but laugh, because we see how childish we really are, so it’s like we’re watching the fever dream of a stand up comic telling us about his last bad relationship...

It was the cow...

• edited January 2018
    I really don't know what to think about the upcoming Spawn movie. It's not what I was hoping for in a Spawn reboot and it sounds nothing like Spawn at all. I want to see the Clown/Violator, Chapel, Redeemer, Cy-Gor, etc. Then have him eventually face Malebolgia and ascend to god level or at least into the Second Age. Spawn movies could easily have been made into its own universe.

Instead we're getting a horror movie where he's the "bad guy," doesn't talk and has barely any screen time at all. You would think that McFarlane having full control over everything in this movie would have brought his best creation to the screen in the way that everyone knows him. Right now it's sounding like a bad SyFy movie.

I guess I have no choice but to wait and see what happens. I really want to be wrong about this.
  • Never ask me anything that requires more than a word or two response again. I'm still recovering from that one.
  • @Willowfang I suggest going back and watching some clips. It's an unfathomable piece of shit. Tommy loved James Dean and older cinema, seems clear he was going for a 50's melodrama just with no idea of how to make a movie -
    not quality wise, like at all. He was trying to make some great drama. Problem is he's such a one in a billion character himself that writing dialogue for other people just ends up being more hilarious than anything.

Funny you mention the lizard center thing, in TDA he (Franco) justifies the ridiculousness of one of his lines by saying sometimes people do crazy things. There was zero self-awareness at all with this dude.

• I’m not saying it’s really a work of art, it’s very bad to be sure, but I think if rather then looking at it like a normal movie, cause really to do that you’d have to call it a movie, a category it just doesn’t belong in, look at it as if it’s written in the inner emotional dialogue being spoken instead of any kind of normal dialogue

It was the cow...

• but it is a movie and it does fail and what it initially tried to be

if you wanna see it/take it as a comedy (which I do) I'm sure it's a lot of fun.
  • I'd rather take it as an absurd Greek Style play where instead of the group of masked narrators filling us in, it's more of a silent movie, and instead of black screens with scroll work popping up to tell us stuff, the actors themselves speak in a sort of inner self expression.

Look at it that way, and it becomes a beautiful train wreck that is a divine pleasure to laugh at...

It was the cow...

• it still can be without the mental gymnastics
  • I went jogging this morning and realized Roman Polanski deserves his freedom.

~God of the fly.. release your seed of filth, to grow and conquer, on death, on myself..~
  • Jogging? On purpose?
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Spawn not being the main character and not speaking has been the plan for the new movie for over a decade now. Todd always made that clear and never deviated from it, and it's only now that it seems the damn thing is actually happening...seemingly. Definitely more of a horror route, which is interesting to say the least.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited January 2018
    So I've heard it was coming, The New Mutants movie (Marvel, April 13, 2018), well, just came across a trailer, it's being listed as horror. Took me a few, but I think they must be doing, or drawing from The Demon Bear Saga they did early on, it was the one with the super scratchy art style, could be pretty cool

new-mutants-03db11ca0.JPG

It was the cow...

• I read somewhere that Demon Bear is in fact the villain of the movie.
  • edited January 2018
    This actually played before the movie last night.

• MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    I had a brief discussion on Facebook with author of the horror/thriller Special X series Michael Slade about the latest season of Black Mirror. Got recognized and exchanged thoughts with one of my favorite authors! So cool!

ghoul%2Bslade%2Bonyx%2B1988.jpg

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• 4 episodes into the new Twin Peaks and I'm digging it so far. That new FBI agent hanging out with Lynch and Bob Morton has got a great ass. The black hooker was pretty hot too.
  • Gonna need your thoughts on episode 8 when you get to it
  • Will do. About to watch 5-7 tonight, so I'll get to 8 tomorrow after work.
  • Got a call from my Dad this morning. My parents' house flooded and now they're without a home. They'll be staying at a hotel indefinitely.
This discussion has been closed.