Off-Topic Thread February 2018: Bloody Valentine Edition

Comments

• If the media didn't parade these attacks around and create a culture where these types of people can get attention through them, they wouldn't happen. Not a coincidence Columbine and that circus started it all.
  • edited February 2018
    Yup and media has been nothing but shameful hysteria for 18 months now. No wonder the public's trust in mainstream media is at an all time low and everyone are flocking to alternative sources.
  • I'm afraid we are only going to see more of this in the future.
  • Unfortunately, I agree with the above statement. I'm not sure there is ever going to be a solution, we're too far gone. And it's very easy to point fingers at individual parties like the news media, NRA, Trump, education, FBI, and so on, but the fact is this culture of mass killings is a culmination of many, many societal and Congressional deficiencies. It's almost a thankless job for leaders of state or the news media now, because they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. This is an impossible situation.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Just watch We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Parents deserve a good portion of blame as they don't parent anymore and they don't notice their kid is a psychopath and if they do they make excuses for their kid and let it slide.

People always make excuses and never own up to the responsibility they have. The world has always been a violent place and nothing is going to change that.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited February 2018
    But that's a tricky argument, because just because you're not a good parent, doesn't mean you're a bad person. And sometimes these things can be hard to spot. A psychopath usually hides in plain sight. And what about how these kids are probably indulging their fantasies in online personas, are parents expected to be able to keep track of everything their kids do in their private lives?

Like I said, it's difficult to assign culpability because there are so many things that factor in to someone wanting to kill a bunch of people one day and how it's a readily available thing they can do. I think we all just need to start taking both an individual and collective responsibility and be more vigilant about these things. Stop pointing fingers and start taking notice of the people around us.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Just in the interest of debate I'd like to flag something. Now, I'm not going to pretend that my native UK has ever had a fraction of the problem of gun violence as the US, but something important happened in my country in 1996/97. There was a mass shooting at a school in Dunblane, Scotland in which 17 people were killed, mostly children aged 5. In response to this, the then Conservative government implemented the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997, which massively prohibited the private ownership of firearms in Great Britain. Since that amendment, there hasn't been a single mass shooting in the UK to this very day. Like I said, the relationship with guns is very different between the two respective nations, but it's food for thought.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • nancenance maryland
    edited February 2018
    i'm not sure i believe that parents are shittier now than they've always been (lots a good ones, of course). we often have this rosy view of the past and how awesome everything was, but the past is filled with a lot more kinds of violent, overt hate (you know, like slavery, jim crow "laws", and a million other things that could only have been perpetrated by generations of horrid parents) than we have even now. i'm not saying that there aren't major contributing factors that are specific to today--isolation, social media, shitloads of people, institutional education, modern pressures, etc--but there is one thing that IS really different today: fucking automatic weapons and the ease of their availability. it's one thing to be angry and have ideations of massacre and quite another to actually be able to pull it off. throw in america's encultured history of hardcore violence, and here we are with a huge, regular problem.
  • Has there ever been a time in human history where fatherlessness and single mothers have been so abundant?

It starts with the parents, if your father is a deadbeat and your mother is hardly seen well that's not a good start. Plenty of degenerate deadbeat moms and sperm donors who bring life into this world who don't give a shit.

650+ Murdered in Chicago last year and the overwhelmingly majority were handgun related.

8zmGBg3.png

Automatic = Illegal
    Semi-Automatic = You pull the trigger every time which is the same as any other gun.
  • nancenance maryland
    i know i should have my head examined for even engaging with you, freddy, but what's your point exactly? that semi-automatic weapons and handguns are also to blame for the rampant violence that exists in this country? who disagrees with that? who said otherwise? or are you just itching to find away to make sure we know who's really to blame for societies ills? were "single mothers and deadbeat dads" to blame for an entire region of the country thinking it's okay to own human beings?
  • It's pointless to communicate with you, the entire world is violent it's just something you're going to have to accept.

Africa right now has a slave trade. All over the world children are being sold into sex trading.

What's the big difference Nance says???? Quote "Fucking automatic weapons and their ease of availability".............yet they're illegal in America.

Does taking guns away from Americans = no child sex trafficking rings in Mexico?

Stop playing the victim card, everyone should be held accountable for their own actions.

America is no more encultured in violence than any other country and you're delusional if you think otherwise.

I say it starts with the parents when it comes to young teens and children murdering people.
  • That was directed at Nance.

Your posts make sense.
  • @Freddy can't tell if you're more woke than I thought or I've just grown up a bit

@Puf @Atmosphere as dark as things may seem, remember that the dissent and anger in the population is nowhere near as bad in daily life as the media makes it out to be. They want us to be scared, to divide us. If we weren't divided, people would be playing soccer with politicians heads in the street after all they've done.
  • @Se7en you've grown up a lot kiddo.

Don't use Woke though because that's lame.

It's called Common Sense.
  • _Blakelock__Blakelock_ - OHMSS
    edited February 2018
    Well boys I’m at the
    Hospital to see my daughter being born. I’ll post a pic after she arrives.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • Congrats!
    begd3lkchqo1.jpg
  • Thanks Gwally, I’m pretty hyped.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Anybody else annoyed at how Google no longer lets you search images for similar ones, and in order to see the URL you have to right click and open a window that shows 'image information'? Posting images on forums has suddenly become chore. Assholes. >:(

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• nancenance maryland
    congrats, blakelock! sending best thoughts to momma and baby!
  • Happy 4 u bruh
This discussion has been closed.