Annihilation (2018)

2»

Comments

• Adult movies don't get adult financing. Been that way for more than a few years. It's why the Garland's and Villeneuve's of the world (now Sheridan) are so valuable.

It's not merely about casual audiences not liking them, it's how these movies are presented and marketed. When the big big budget movies are all that's playing, all that's on TV, etc, that's gonna be what the masses flock to. Studios are on this franchise kick and it's not gonna change until the big ones start to fizzle out. I've said forever that it's gonna stop when Marvel starts sucking, and despite them teetering on that for a while, the formula is still entertaining and professional enough that they haven't lost any momentum... yet. These things come and go and they don't be any different.
  • Oh this movie is great btw
  • Great movie.

The "bear" scene was the stuff of nightmares.
  • Blast HarderBlast Harder has the madness....the B-movie Madness!!
    My theater didn't play it or I would've saw it on the big screen.

Hopefully watch it this weekend.
    Blast's Cult Draft list 2018

Death Wish V
    Toxie III
    The Party Animal
    Warlock 2
    7th Voyage of Sinbad
    Cat in the Brain
    Freaked
    Cut and Run
    Silent Rage
    Return of the Killer Tomatoes
  • @Atmosphere @Se7en all valid points.

The studios at the moment are focused squarely on blockbuster franchises, sequels, reboots and anything that is safe and turn a profit, and sadly unless Hollywood changes its game, and it won't, then that's all we're going to see on the big screen and movies like Annihilation will continue to be dumped to Netflix. Unless movie are garnering circuit buzz, like Lady Bird and such, arthouse cinema will continue to die.

Even an Oscar-nominated and winning filmmaker like Scorsese isn't safe. The Irishman is a guaranteed box office hit with the cast he's assembled, and with Marty returning to his roots, but because his last film tanked Paramount refused to pony up the money, and now we have another Annihilation on our hands. A limited theatrical release in the US and only Netflix everywhere else.