Rob Zombie's 3 from Hell

Comments

• edited July 2018
    This has cash grab written all over it.

Rejects is his best film and he knows it. After 31 I think he's realizing that his schtick is getting old, so why not resurrect his best-loved characters to keep him relevant.

The ending of Rejects was pretty complete so I'd like to see what explanation he comes up with of how they survived that shoot out.

31 was such a huge missed opportunity. For a movie set on Halloween in the 70's, with the final product, it could have been anywhere anytime.
  • edited July 2018
    Well you said it yourself, resurrect. Some theories suggest he is literally going to bring em back from the dead. The 3 from Hell. Like maybe some Satanic ritual or some shit.

It could work, but it would quickly strive away from the realistic feel Rejects had.
  • Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    I’m curious to see if Rob Zombie can make something at least decent out of this. As it's a sequel to his best work, the pressure is on him to make something worthy.

31 wasn’t a good film, but I quite enjoyed it, more than his previous three efforts put together. The first act made me want to tear my face off, but the next hour was much better. It’s a grimy, grindhouse-esque, enjoyable mess.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I love Rejects. I really do. I've watched it a fucking shit ton.

But even I'm rolling my eyes at this. I dunno. My expectations are just low.

Sid Haigs looking super frail too. He looks pretty bad in the Spaulding get up. The ravages of age.
    The Devil’s Rejects is the only Rob Zombie film I’ve watched countless times, as it certainly does have replay value. I hated House of 1000 Corpses, but I thought Zombie was showing promise as a filmmaker with TDR, and it’s disappointing how his career has turned out.
  • The only part I liked about 31 was the intro scene and the very last scene. So in other words I liked the two big scenes Doom Head was featured in. Otherwise I thought 31 was horse shit.

But I very much enjoy both HOA1KC and Rejects. But because of 31 my expectations are low as well.
  • @Glass Eater I really don't think there are any supernatural happenings in this. In all the photos shown so far, the Rejects are shown, shackled and kept in jail. If they came back from the dead why would they be allowing themselves to be locked up?
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    I've given Zombie shot after shot.

I think I'm done. I'll watch this sure. I take the good horror with the bad horror. But I'm done holding out hope I'll like anything of his post-1000 Corpses. Which is a shame because I fucking love 1000 Corpses. I tried to like Salem, tried to like 31, tried to like Rejects. Never could reel me in, and I'm still salty about the lie that was the unrated 31 cut.

I just wish we'd get the zany crazy surreal grindhouse feel that House really captured. Always thought it was a massive loss of potential that he decided to go more serious and grim than batshit crazy and over the top.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • I feel like there's a whole sub genre in House/Rejects that nobody's tapped into
    Rob Zombie regurgitates 70’s horror/exploitation. This is one of his problems, because he’s trapped in an era of the genre that he thinks is the best, and this is what modern horror should be - the ‘70s all over again. It’s one thing being influenced by past works, but it’s an entirely different matter trying to recreate a whole period; inspiration is fine, but if horror filmmakers can’t get over their nostalgia, then it’s difficult for the genre to move on. The same case can be made for Eli Roth, as they’re both glorified fanboys behind cameras. They had their “moments”, but now their limited imaginations are wearing thin, and they’re both struggling to remain relevant in horror, which is becoming more innovative thanks to writers and directors who strive for originality - Get Out, A Quiet Place, Hereditary, etc. The genre is evolving, but Zombie and Roth aren’t, so they’re being left behind. House of 1000 Corpses is an explicit tribute to Tobe Hooper’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Wes Craven’s The Hills Have Eyes, and The Devil’s Rejects is clearly pastiche homage to 70’s violent road movies and westerns, while retaining horror elements. So, there’s no “whole sub-genre” to tap into, when these films are clearly already part of sub-genres.
    You can read into it what you want.

Zombies films are just all on and about/involving the definition of white trash though.
    This too. These are two aspects of his style of filmmaking. Rob Zombie doesn’t make films for mainstream horror audiences, but for a specific viewership; he makes the kinds of films he wants to see, and this alienates the wider demographic. This is what made him the strangest possible choice to take on the Halloween franchise.
  • The exploitation homage/nostalgia thing doesn't work for me. That's the obvious influence, but these films exist on a plane of their own. The music video vibes, the hyper aggression, the filth of them all. House and Rejects were ahead of their time. Nobody tried to say anything in the work that he was influenced by, certainly not with the level of skill or depth that he has.

Lol @ Get Out and A Quiet Place being cited. They're good. They're nothing beyond proficient.
  • Yeah why give the guy with the hottest horror movie of year before the chance to make a killer slasher
    Did you just say House and Rejects were ahead of their time??? HAHAHAHAHA

I love Rejects. But nooooo.
    ^This.^ and @Se7en - Nope.
  • Fucking LOL at House and Rejects being ahead of their times.

House mainly resembles a bad 90's music video at best.
  • edited July 2018
    House is an acid trip, a fun ride.

Get Out is definitely overrated.

But Zombie hasn't made anything remotely creative or compelling as A Quiet Place.

Zombie deserves credit, but haters and fans generally put him on polar opposite sides of the spectrum. He's either "the worst movie Maker of all time" or oddly some kinda "stroke of Genius". He's really just kinda in the middle, he has a signature style that "sometimes" works but he's certainly not ground breaking..
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Devils Rejects ahead of it's time?

Movie was practically the unofficial sequel to the TCM remake in almost every way, so eeeeehhhh.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
    edited July 2018
    @Glass Eater. Rob Zombie is the most divisive filmmaker in modern horror, perhaps even in cinematic horror history. Yeah, there’s little middle ground, as either fans spit venom at him, or they’re undyingly devoted. Although, I don’t think he would be quite as hated if wasn’t for his Halloween messes. He would just be known as the rock star turned writer and director, who made some cult genre films that don’t appeal to the larger horror crowd.