Rob Zombie's 3 from Hell

Comments

• So now he's imitating Hallmark movies too...

It was the cow...

• nancenance maryland
    @Willowfang ouch!
  • That scene is unbelievable

When Sheriff finds her too :'(
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    edited July 2018
    Oh, I'm sure he's a technical auteur by the pure definition of the word. Just like a person who flips patties at burger king is technically a chef.

I'm just referring to the colloquial understanding of what an actual auetur is and what that means to the cinematic world.

Y'know. Someone original.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Actually no, a burger guy isn't even technically a line cook. Miles away from a chef.

And, Rob is. Undeniably.
  • Motherfucker you don't get to talk about the cinematic world lmao
    I'll raise you one "Motherfucker, no one who thinks RZ is a craftsman of modern film gets to have an opinion on the cinematic world".

Enjoy your world class burger flipping chef chump.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Read some reviews chap

Can't wait to read about director's in 10 years influenced by Rob taking the world by storm
    edited July 2018
    Yeah that's right. Hope that someone who was even remotely influenced by RZ's style in some tertiary way blows up in the future. Gotta have some way to qualify as relevant.

Oh that's right. They already exist. Most people smart enough to know those influences know that they come straight from Hooper or Carpenter or whoever actually originated the styles he already half-heartedly apes.
  • If you think Rob Zombie films are Tobe Hooper or Carpenter films, you don't know any of the three.

And like... that's kind of how this works.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    TCM. Both original and 2. And Eaten Alive.

Basically almost every Zombie film can be found here.
  • To me, these days, Rob Zombie as a filmmaker is like that nightclub in town that always stays open later than the rest, it does not play your type of music, the bouncers are always on their high horse and the beer is crappy even for the price. But you still go their because it's better than nothing and there might be one or two hotties in there.

When I first heard he was the writer and director of "House of 1000 Corpses" on the Kerrang awards i was excited it was new for me to hear of a rock musician making a movie. Saw the film and thought it was just okay nothing special but worth a cheap buy for the collection. Devils Rejects stunned me but confused me at the time mainly because it was a completely different tone to the first movie and actually seemed like the first didn't exist apart from the death of the sheriff but either way its a favourite. I was only excited for Halloween because the original is my favourite movie at at that age i didn't know directors so couldnt say who would make a good or bad movie. First viewing i enjoyed it although it was a different version to the one we know now. H2 i detested right away once we got to see Laurie's character in full effect, Deb Myers with the white horse, Asshole Loomis and Hobo Myers. Lords of Salem, im guessing the whole movie was bad cause i turned it off after 30 mins. Now I must be in the small group of people who quite liked 31, it was really rough around the edges and was still very "Zombie" which he needs to retire and soon but i doubt we will see that happen with 3 from Hell which im pretty hyped for.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I saw Rejects first. I didn't even know he was making movies. I had no internet back then. I was a fan of his music. And one day in blockbuster I saw 'From director Rob Zombie'.

I pretty much came in my pants. I rented it and loved it. I saw Ho1kC a bit later. It was on TV late at night. I was staying at a mates who got shitty reception on whatever channel it was. It was the grainiest distorted picture I've ever seen.

I was very disappointed though. Haven't watched it since. I just assume it was spoilt after seeing Rejects first.
  • "House" had fantastic potential to be a good movie but its actually kind of a bore to be honest it feels like a student film that has been stretched right out beyond what it needs to be, i would have just been happy with the whole crazy family plot that's always pretty good but how many top 10 lists have you ever seen Dr Satan on? pointless subplot pretending to be a focus. Personally I'd recommend to anyone wanting to look into the Zombieverse as it's his foot in the door apart from that i don't think i'd care not seeing it again cause i can easily jump ring into Rejects (watched it the other night with the girlfriend, she liked it)
  • @FormaldehideNSeek i like that description lol

@Oxley havent seen eaten alive. Is Tobe Hooper the only one who can make grimy desert movies?
  • That we're talking about rejects today and not other movies is a testament to it
  • Grainy Desert? Hills have Eyes originals

The remakes, well, they aren't classics or anything, but should be worth the time it takes to see them

It was the cow...

• Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    edited July 2018
    I consider The Hills Have Eyes ’06 to be one of the best remakes. It’s as good as, perhaps even better than, the original. The sequels to both are awful, especially the ’84 one; it’s one of the most incompetent horror sequels ever made.

By the way, Eaten Alive is very good. I recommend it.

EDIT: Rob Zombie riffs on early Tobe Hooper. It's obvious.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • nancenance maryland
    that we're still talking--passionately--about rob speaks to his value as a filmmaker, especially as a horror director. love him or hate him, he's difficult to ignore.

i really like house because it's visually arresting, and it's a nice trippy TCM2 (yeah, yeah, i know, rob is SO influenced by tobe...as he should be) kind of ride, one that, for me, is best enjoyed stoned out of my mind. but it and the first halloween are the two movies of his i watch the least, enjoy them both tho i do. for me, the tofu of rob's work are rejects, h2, and lords of salem. i love 31, and find it a nice, compact exercise is resilience.

but this is really the beauty of film, of art. some artists speak to people, some don't. rob speaks to me. i can't wait for 3 from hell.
  • Rob Zombie has zero talent as a director and should give up making movies.