Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Comments

• Almost as if they're using the bands face, a mega star, as the draw for the documentary about them. Amazing.
  • How the fuck could they have Freddie dying at the halfway point? That's beyond ridiculous.

No Queen fan wants to go into this and watch half a movie that shows the band members picking up the pieces after his death.

Blah, fuck this.

• Which is exactly why they won't do that. Cohen made those remarks in 2016, and since that time there's been a new script and whole new creative team.

This isn't gonna be a warts and all biopic, it's about capturing what made Mercury such a great performer and a celebration of his career.

If you want warts and all, watch Freddie Mercury: The Great Pretender or any number of the existing doc's peddling dirt about his private life.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Settle down @Atmosphere.

I'm not interested in this just for "the dirt'. I just want a movie focused on Freddie. I don't want a movie about how Brian May and Co dealt with his death. If anything, the movie should finish with Freddie dying.

It's the frontmen that people are interested in. The Doors is a great example of a music biopic. Plenty of focus on the band throughout, but essentially the front man is the main focus.

• Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    edited July 2018
    As a massive Doors fan, I don’t think Oliver Stone’s film is a great biopic. I really enjoy it for what it is, as it does do some things brilliantly, such as the live music performances, etc. but much of it is factually inaccurate, and it's mostly fantasy. Also, although Val Kilmer’s performance is very entertaining, the screenplay’s characterization didn’t capture important aspects of Jim Morrison’s true personality, as he was actually a warm and witty man, but his portrayal in the film was that of a nutjob.

If you’re hoping for Bohemian Rhapsody to be true to Freddie Mercury’s legacy, The Doors isn’t a great example to draw from.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited July 2018
    Alls I'm saying is that even after two trailers, we don't really know how they're going to handle the intimate aspects of Freddie's life, so I don't think it's entirely fair to pass a judgement based on something Cohen said two years ago when we know that the project and the people behind it have changed significantly since then. It's something we're just going to have to judge once the movie's out. And in terms of the focus on Freddie as opposed to the rest of the band, well... so far, I'd say that he has been the primary focus of all of the marketing. Sure, they could just be baiting us, but would they really risk that?

Of course there's always a concern with music biopics where the musicians in question are alive and able to have their say in return for the music rights, but let's just see. We don't know exactly what happened that made Cohen leave the project, only hearsay, which Brian May publicly denounced might I add. Maybe Cohen just wasn't the right fit when it came down to it, who knows? I'll judge for myself when I see the movie. All I know is that everything I've seen so far looks excellent.

• Guilty Remnant •
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    We aren't talking about 'intermediate aspects of Freddies life'.

We're talking about him being out of the film midway through. If Brian May was happy to have Cohen walk away after 6 years of working together, he isn't going to back down. I'll be shocked stupid if May changed his mind. He had very, very strict rules for the film to grant rights. That's one of the reasons its taken so long.
  • edited July 2018
    @Mr_Cotton You're missing my point.

The Doors is a great example of how the film put Jim Morrison front and center, with the band around him. Whether you liked the film or not you can't deny Oliver Stone made it Jim's movie, not Ray Manzericks movie.

Could you imagine Jim dying at the halfway point and the rest of the movie is about the remaining Doors pulling together and continuing on their career? Yeah neither can I.
  • Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    I didn’t miss your point, I get you. I agree that structurally this is the way to go with Bohemian Rhapsody. I should've made this clear in my earlier post. I made a generalization about The Doors film due to my immediate response to The Doors is a great example of a music biopic.” It isn’t. Although, I do find it really enjoyable.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."
  • I'll be checking this out very soon.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    Saw this Thursday...utterly FANTASTIC!

original.gif

Rami Malek is phenomenal. The actors that played his band mates are amazing aswell.
  • Yeah, the critics are so wrong about this one. Audiences are clearly loving it.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • If elrich or whatever his name is doesn't like it, chances are it's pretty good
  • This was pretty fucking horrible, in addition to feeling gross watching it to begin with. Hard to imagine actual Queen fans liking it as I felt disrespected only having known the hits songs they featured.
  • I know a bunch of hardcore Queen fans who loved it.
  • It's just gross to me because they made albums after the movie ended, and they had the line about him not wanting to be a poster boy for aids when that's really all this movie does. That Bryan directed this and the gay's featured are degenerate, leather clad party boys who sorta function as the antagonists is gross. That the musical scenes revolve around the conception of songs that EVERYBODY knows instead of how they or the albums came together rubs me the wrong way.

It's very self appreciative, showing critic blurbs about Bohemian Rhapsody is when I started to lose it. The movie plays like a high school essay about the band, just hard to imagine fans actually into them not being rubbed the wrong way by it
  • And come on that performance at the end with Rami doing Freddy was horribad
  • I agree that the portrayal of gay men is ghastly. They make it look like nice hetro Freddy was seduced by the evil gays who turned him and infected him with AIDS.

There are lots wrong with the story as well. The band was still together when they did Live Aid for example, but of course, liberties have been taken to make it more cinematic.

I'm sure hardcore Queen fans know of what is right and what's not.
  • I'm gay and I never felt like the gays were the antagonists or were depicted in a ghastly way. Sure, you're not exactly seeing much of a variety of people. It is all leather clad party boys. But hey, perhaps that's because at that particular time in the 80's Freddie is well documented as frequenting those bars. They exist, they're seedy as fuck and more-so back then. Paul Prenter, Freddie's sidekick in the film who leeched off of him, he was a real person - and he was gay. Did the writers need to create some fictional, friendly LGBT side characters with their own arcs to balance out the asshole ones? These things actually happened, it's not even a case of how they're interpreted by the filmmaker.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • I wouldn't think twice if it wasn't Bryan Singer, just find it odd that outside of Freddy, all the gays do kinda carry that grimy underground look, pulling him away from his beautiful white girl and band mates. That the other dude was a real person who did exploit him doesn't change that, the movie is fake and included/excluded whatever they chose to. They could have had these characters without it coming off this way.