Pet Sematary (2019)

Comments

• edited June 2018
    It's a really good read. It was actually my first King book.
  • @gunsrazorsknives They could easily take stuff from the book and put in this that wasn't in the original, like Judd's wife.

And zombie Gage telling Judd all about his wife's sluttiness just before he kills him.
  • Re-reading the book in prep for the remake, theres so many things i missed back when i was 10 and things that make more sense like the part of the book and movie where Rachel gets a little pissed about Louis and Jud teaching Ellie about death, she came off like such a dumb cunt be it tied in perfectly with the fact she feared death because of the face to face with her sisters Fate when her parents didn't want to deal with it.
  • The original film is going to be pretty damn hard to top. Although it missed lots of story elements from the book, the movie did a pretty decent job of condensing most of it in. Also, whatever the movie lacked in story, it more than made up for in capturing the dreary, creepy, and depressing feeling of dread that Pet Sematary is known for. John Lithgow is a fantastic casting for the role of Judd though, and I think as long as they make this film feel like it's adding more to what we've already seen, rather than giving us less then I think it will be alright. They have to be spot on with the soundtrack I think, because that score from the original was pretty much perfect for the feel of the book. I would also like to see Gage really disfigured when he returns. Getting hit by a truck should leave him in horrifying shape, and he should reflect that in his return. Gage should also go heavy on the mindgames with Judd, Rachel and Louis, as that was one of the big characteristics of the Wendigo spirit.
  • I don't yet know what to think of this remake... Looking back at the 1989 film, Fred Gwynne was superb in the role of Jud. It's hard to imagine any other actor in the role comparing to Gwynne. But at the same time, John Lithgow is a great actor... On another subject, Stephen King said the 1989 movie just had to be shot in the state of Maine (where it was set). King didn't mind other stories of his (Carrie, Cujo, etc) being set in Maine but filmed elsewhere. But in the case of Pet Sematary, King refused to sign the rights allowing it to be made into a movie unless it was in the contract that this movie be shot in Maine. Now, this remake was not shot in Maine, but outside Montreal. What kind of effect will this have on the film? We'll see. Time will tell.
  • It's a different movie.
  • Well business wise there are a lot of projects being shot across seas and Canada pantomiming as different places such as LA or New York and the reason being is how it effects the films budget. 70s, 80s and even the 90s could pretty much shoot wherever they wanted. I'm sure King understands this given the amount of rights laws he's seen over his time.

There have been a few movies filmed from where i'm from and in a lot of cases its easy to see where such as Billy Elliot (a film i actually got to see being made) Alien 3 (exterior shots only) The Tournament and Atonement. and all i can say is that if a film is based in a certain place the only people who can truly tell are the people who are from there or know the place well.

The mini series of the shining was entirely shot in the same hotel Stephen King based the overlook on which i believe is the Stanley Hotel in Colorado. But in this Case with PS i really don't think he will be too bothered about the location because he got what he wanted in the first place. As for anyone seeing the movie unless they are from Maine are not going to have a clue or really give a shit.
  • Eh, looks okay I guess.
  • Kind of wished Church was black and more dead looking. Other than that, looks decent.
  • Get Carrie vibes from the palette here, very sterile
  • Pics look a bit too clean and generic for me but not gonna leap to conclusions just yet.
  • Anyone else think Lithgow looks like Anthony Hopkins in that pic?
  • edited October 2018
    These better not be final, the cat doesn't look dead at all.
  • Way too early to judge, but I do like the look of Lithgow.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    The cat didn't come back looking dead. That was the whole point, that the little girl wouldn't realize the cat had died. But it came back all mean and nasty, and that cat looks mean and nasty.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• edited October 2018
    It is too early to judge, but the cat doesn't look nasty too me. Mean sure, but he looks like he just got out a bath.

Just a mean, wet cat. It's only a picture though, the true test comes in what they do with it.

Lithgow looks great.
  • Looks like a railroad cat
  • edited October 2018
    Or the fucking demon clawing at my garage door as I type this before I throw her into the fucking sink
  • RustyNailFromHellRustyNailFromHell Is between your girlfriend legs, while her parents watch with approval.
    Cats are just naturally evil....little bastards.