Pet Sematary (2019)

Comments

• That trailer. Shiny manure.
  • WillowfangWillowfang SoCal
    edited October 2018
    @Mr. Awesome Do us an experiment then

I think sometimes we love most what we see first cause... there's where the bar gets set

See this new one, write down or note how you like it, then read the book, then see the original and tell us how you feel about all 3 and stuff

(I mean, really, dunno if I'm the only one, but does anyone ever think of getting hypnotized into forgetting a movie just so you could watch it for the first time all over again? Would be cool to see like NOTLD, JC's The Thing, Jaws, and The Exorcist for the first time again)

It was the cow...

• Yeah but I'd feel the same about each, except for movies I haven't seen in years which I wouldn't want to risk spoiling
  • Unless a better trailer comes out, this is a pass for me.
  • Just watched the trailer for the first time and it looks... not good. Now there is an original subplot about people acting sinister in masks? Doesn't mean the movie itself will be bad, but so far it's not looking very promising.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • I’m simpatico with you Freddy in regards to the Lithgow/Gwynne comparison. With that said Fred Gwynne is the only thing I like about Lambert’s film so even with the by the numbers trailer I’m still very much open-minded and hopeful for this new adaptation. I’m particularly curious to see how they pull Gage off. He was one of the underwhelming things about the 89 film but if done right he could be all-time creepy.
  • For the record, the kids were mentioned in the book and in the original film in how they tended to the Pet Sematary. I just hope they don't make them a big part of the plot, because kids tend to ham things up way too much unintentionally and it throws off the movie, sometimes to the point of breaking any type of believability. I would hope that as far as kids go, the Gage and Ellie characters will be all of what we'll have to put up with.
  • Okay, so I was looking at some Youtube videos on this movie's release and according to someone who has read a leaked script there's a major plot change that many fans of Pet Sematary may not like.

SPOILER:

Gage is not the child that dies, but instead it is Ellie that gets hit by the truck. There's evidence to this in the trailer as the hand holding the scalpel is that of an older child, and also in the screenshot of the funeral, if you look at the size of the child's coffin, it is much larger......large enough to belong to Ellie. Supposedly, there is also a 10 minute sequence in this film that revolves entirely around the family living with the now dead Ellie. All of this is something I can imagine being done with the PC society we live in today, I find it hard to believe that they would try and have Gage die again and piss off a lot of people who aren't horror fans. While this does all bother me, I suppose if all of this is done correctly, it can be dark, disturbing and creepy, but then again chances are it will be cheesy and lame.
  • Yikes, not looking good. But maybe it will have a few quality scenes that will make it worth watching. When you say (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT) the family lives with the now dead Ellie, do you mean trying to cope with her death or actually living with her after she's been reanimated, trying to treat her like a normal member of the family? The second option sounds more interesting than the first.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • Hmm, so a major plot change like that is not keeping in line with the book. If it's true then fuck this movie.
  • Wait, that better not be true. Fucking a.
  • RustyNailFromHellRustyNailFromHell Is between your girlfriend legs, while her parents watch with approval.
    edited October 2018
    I paused the funeral scene, and looks like a little girl in a dress standing next to Louis but hidden by the guy in the foreground.
  • The movie still has to turn out good overall. But I like the idea of making it Ellie instead of Gage. Not like it being either one is critical to how the story unfolds, and using a older kid that can talk more opens up more creepy shit to be said and done.

After the funeral, we see Gage alive and well, could just be out of order, but not something you usually see in a trailer, and maybe Ellie in a mask after the funeral as well

It was the cow...

• @Sea Hag 1989 was probably hard to find a toddler who could act and be malevolent at the same time. I thought the kid did fairly well given the time frame.

I'm sure it's still going to be hard if they go that route again, what toddler other than a rendered CGI kid can be menacing.

All though if they get the giggle and mood setting I'm sure it's going have tension.
  • edited October 2018
    Yeah, after sleeping on it I can understand that decision solely on the fact that a toddler is never scary, unless you want to go CGI galore.

First you need to find a mother who is ok in depicting her child as a demon, then he has to be good at acting too? Yeah it's probably not happening.

There is a reason the baby scene in the original movie is where things get a little underwhelming.

Remember how much flack the Babadook gets for the child actor? He's not even the monster in the movie, and we think modern day audiences will take a toddler seriously? CGI or bust.
  • Trailer looked okay, the original wasn’t some great story/film anyway so I don’t expect much from a remake.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • Yes, I indeed meant the Creed family living with the now reanimated body of Ellie. Man, I hope this doesn't enter into the cheesy realm of Pet Sematary 2.
  • Oh yeah, that would be Part 2 territory wouldn't it? When the family tries to live with the reanimated husband. That whole movie didn't work very well. Although I could watch Part 2 today and be amused (Edward Furlong's smart-ass dialogue), it was a crushing failure when I first saw it.

On IMDB I see that the remake is coming out in April 2019. Should have started earlier and released it this Halloween. Even if it's bad, would give us another horror in theaters. Also, Freddy and Glass, you guys talking of a CGI Gage is making me think of the Dancing Baby internet meme.

That psychological aspect is one of the things I like about the original. The two bodies that come back for Dr. Creed (at first) are a cat and a baby - not exactly hulking killing machines. I think it's less about how much physical damage the zombies can inflict, and more about the horror of these things actually returning from the dead.

I mean, at the end of the day, if you really needed to you could fend each of those things off with a broom, right? And yet they managed to completely destroy his sanity.
  • It's absurd if they go a CGI baby route, I mean hints or touches of CGI ok but full blown no thank you.

I hate the idea of Ellie being the one to die too as she was the only one having premonitions.
  • I know a lot of you look disappointed with what you've seen so far, but i'm such a fanboy to this story that I am just hoping beyond hope that this movie ends up being good. I want this film to succeed so much, and if it does, it will totally make my day. I will be at the theater for the first and second screening of this and will have my fingers, toes, and pubic hairs crossed that this will be the next great horror film to be released. Hopefully in April we'll all have better things to say about it.