Pet Sematary (2019)

Comments

• Okay so from that trailer its clear that its going to be very different from both the book and the original movie, its clear that this is coming from the "make it your own thing" tactic which im all for, it worked pretty well for dawn of the dead in my opinion but it also failed massively when it came to Black xmas, with the fact that they are already remaking Hellboy im slowly getting used to the fact that there is clearly no limit of time when it comes to the remake convoy. Ive never cared how much a movie makes at the box office because to me that only means something when it comes to the film having a sequel, I just hope they make this movie enjoyable.
  • Damn, that trailer......
    "Sometimes "less" is better."

That was just a little more than I needed to see, but it looked pretty good. Way better than that first trailer......and YES the Wendigo is confirmed. If you see in the trailer when they're flipping through that book, the Wendigo is the giant Man/Deer looking creature with the antlers.
  • Official Poster:
    jp6tiHE.jpg
  • I'm 100% fine with the change they are doing (which that trailer made obvious).

I'm just curious to see if King gets hypocritical and supports this movie despite not follow the source.
  • I mean, it's King's property, right? Wouldn't he have had to okay any changes to the story? I'm sure the last thing he would want is for his most terrifying novel to be bastardized.
  • Wow, that's a massive change. I'd love to hear the filmmakers reasoning behind it.
  • edited February 2019
    Well King hates the Shining mainly because Kubric changed it so much that there was almost no or very little point in it being considered an adaptation, he might as well of just changed the title and character names to help finish it off. Now Frank Darabont chnaged quite a bit in his adaptation of The Mist and King still ended up loving it. And since now the genre is ramping up the King material i think he would of had a lot of say about the changes in this one im just guessing he really likes them. To be fair hearing that they are doing an adaptation beat for beat from the book would probably sound very boring to the man himself.
  • @gunsrazorsknives

My guess is it was a decision influenced from an acting perspective. A lot easier to get a nuanced performance from a 10 year old than it is a 3 year old.
  • Was happy to see Amy Seimetz getting some scenes in that trailer - looks like there's a new subplot about Rachel dealing with a "different" Ellie. Almost sounds interesting, who knows? Could be pleasantly surprised (probably won't be, but stranger things have happened).

My thing is, what the (beep) is going on with all these new masked characters? In the trailer it looks like one of these new additions carries out an important action from the novel (the ankle part) which does leave me scratching my head in wonderment. Oh well, I guess I'll find out later.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • The masked hid kind of make me think of the original Wicker Man. I aswell as many of us have written off so many remakes and sometimes its for the dumbed reasons and there have even been sometimes when the said remake has been awesome. I think i wrote off the hills have eyes remake when it was advertised but it came to be my favourite movie of that year. The orginal movie had just been unbanned in the UK and i loved it and i think i hated it at first because they tried to make antagonists scary by giving them fucked up faces. Young me wanted just normal looking fucked up people but upon watching it, i ate my words. This plot twist does not worry me and im actually glad they pointed this out where as trailers such as Hereditery blatently fed us shit.
  • @Post Ghost Those masked characters are the children from the neighborhood who conducted rituals when burying their dead. I'm guessing Ellie took up one of the masks as she drops one as she's shambling towards Rachel and Louis. I would then think that she was wearing the mask when she was stalking Jud.
  • Oh yeah, that makes sense. The masked person in the scene with Jud was likely Ellie, and it's just her instead of Gage doing it.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • If anything it may be even more disturbing because from what I understand they're going to push this into Exorcist territory and have her say some pretty nasty lines from the book. It's also worth noting that Jud will develop a close nit relationship with Ellie, almost grandfatherly. It'll only make the scene in which she has to viciously kill him that much harder to watch.
  • edited February 2019
    @BlackDragonShogun as it's been mentioned before, King to this day Hates the Shining because it steered off the source material. If he's ok with a change this big, then his grudge against Kubrick comes off as hypocritical if you ask me.

And I believe @Sea Hag is spot on, personally I thought Gage in the first movie was extremely underwhelming and not very scary.
  • I don't think the change is very big, doesn't really effect the story in my eyes. I imagine it's just been done for practical reasons.
  • I agree with Midnight Kroovy, it's not a big change. Not a big change at all. At the end of the day Louis and Rachel still lose a child that they must mourn, and ultimately have Louis bring back. Plus if you look at it, an 8 year old is way more formidable than a 3 year old. So much more you can do with her.
  • I also agree, a 3 year old doesn't have the mental comprehension to act properly.

Sure they can do it, but you can't convince me they're scary. Unless you want a CGI baby :#
  • The little kid in the original was kinda absurd (only a geek could be killed by it) so being ten and somewhat more mobile and physical isn't the worst thing
  • I mean, all the credit in the world to Miko Hughes. He was the best case scenario you were gonna get without it being a CGI baby. It wasn't going to be any better this time around, in fact i'm inclined to believe it would have been worse.