Chucky Returns to the Big Screen - Child’s Play Remake

Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
edited July 2018 in Horror Movies
From Dread Central:

“Looks like MGM and IT producers David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith are remaking Child’s Play with Polaroid director Lars Klevberg taking the helm on the project.

MGM is fast-tracking the project, which is written by Tyler Burton Smith (Kung Fury 2), and it’s heading towards a production start in Vancouver this September.”
"It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."

Comments

• Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    edited July 2018
    I love the original, I really like 2 and Curse, I quite like Bride and Cult, I don’t mind 3, but Seed can fuck off. Apparently, there’s also a TV show in development from franchise creator Don Mancini, which will at last use the Child’s Play title again, will be dark in tone, and will continue the story from Cult. So, if it’s still happening, it will keep the original continuity alive. But I’m all for a remake, if it successfully brings Chucky back to the big screen, and spawns a new series of theatrically released sequels. For it to work, it needs to be made as a serious slasher film, and the little cunt needs to be executed right.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I think this is fucking stupid. The series is still going. Cult and Curse were both as good as these films can get really. On par with the original.

Having a remake come out while still making content for it is just fucking stupid. The casting of Chucky, for fans, is going to make or break it. Dourif is pretty much what makes the character memorable.
    edited July 2018
    I didn’t like Cult quite as much as Curse, but it’s pretty good, and it took the franchise in new directions, which is very rare for a seventh installment. I don’t think any of the sequels are on par with the original, but 2 and Curse comes the closest.

Well, the original Puppet Master series is still going, but a reboot is coming out that looks amazing and it will also get a sequel. So, there’s now two Puppet Master continuities. I don’t have a problem with it, and it’s possible they could cast Brad Dourif as Chucky in the remake as well.
  • edited July 2018
    I'm with @Oxley here. Curse and Cult were great and I thought they were making a bloody series on this.

Uuuuuug, I guess this was inevitable though. I just feel the timing is very off. Why now??
    Of course you're with me. Everything I do is fucking perfect.
    edited July 2018
    As I said in my earlier post, it's possible the TV series is still going ahead, so the original continuity might be kept alive. The remake is a way of getting this horror icon back on the big screen. If it’s successful, in terms of both box office and quality of filmmaking, then it will be worth our while. Obviously, it’s crucial they get Chucky right. Simply put, we’ll just have to wait and see how this one turns out.
  • Out of all the remake ideas, this is the worst. The franchise is still going strong with Mancini and Dourif. There is completely no need for this.
    Yeah Vlad, shut up you're wrong.
    edited July 2018
    Here's some more info from Collider...

"Collider has learned that it’s a contemporary reboot involving a group of kids (a la Stranger Things), and a technologically-advanced doll that enters their world. That’s right, this doll will be able to do some cool stuff that may have been beyond Chucky 1.0’s grasp. It’s likely that the new doll will be named Chucky, though it’s possible that the doll will have a new name. We haven’t read the script, so we don’t know for sure."
    edited July 2018
    The Stranger Things influence makes sense, as it’s from the producers of the most recent IT adaptation; the novel and the 1990 mini-series was part inspiration on ST. It sounds like the film will have a new plot, making it a reboot rather than a straight remake.
    edited July 2018
    Here’s a trailer for the director Lars Klevberg's upcoming supernatural horror film Polaroid, which is coming out this year. It might give an idea of the style and tone they’re going for with this Child’s Play reboot. The thing is though, it looks like a right shitter of a film, so it doesn’t feel me with confidence that Chucky is in good hands. I would like to see some considerable input from Don Mancini. This looks like a cross between The Ring and Final Destination, and the awesome Mitch Pileggi is in it...

• That trailer starts out pretty stupid, but then it does get more interesting, but yeah, technical aspects are nice

The reboot sounds more like Mechagodzilla without Godzilla

And the story was really strong with the last two movies, just keep that story going, and Fiona Dourif can totally carry it beyond just the script.

Even if it took like 10 minutes, they could recap what's come before to get anyone not up on the story to the end of Cult of Chucky and bring it back to the big screen

Tho if they did make it as kind of a one of with MechaChucky at the start, and the real Chucky tries to take the body of one of those, but instead has to fight for his life...., dunno

WIth the momentum of these last two movies, a full on reboot is out of place and just bad timing

It was the cow...

Sounds fucking stupid.

And guesswhat. About 10 other things were an influence on the overrated Stranger Things. Who gives a fuck? That's no gold medal to be praised.
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, Stranger Things had a range of influences, but IT was definitely one of the most prominent. So, what with the recent successes of ST and IT Chapter One, it’s feasible the producers are trying to replicate this success. But that doesn’t mean it’s suited for a Child’s Play reboot, and I agree the premise sounds shitty - “a technologically-advanced doll”? Fuck off! One of the best aspects of the original film was its subtleness.
    edited July 2018
    @Willowfang. I hope the TV show following on from Cult will still be made, and if this remake/reboot fails miserably, then we can all forget about it and stick with the original series, like we all do when our favorite classics are remade/rebooted. It doesn’t matter.
  • Yeah, the story ARC in these last two movies is pretty exciting really, some direction to absorb and enjoy

Not just a bunch of "single location fights"

It was the cow...

Yeah, Cult set-up some potentially exciting new directions for the series to go in.
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Didn't they JUST announce a fucking tv series for the original series?

Yeah, I'll just watch that, ignore this, and I'll be content enough with that.

Chucky is basically like Freddy, as in no other actor will truly succeed him. Once Douriff is out, Chucky as a character is over and done with. He's not Jason, Michael, or Leatherface where he's infinitely replaceable just as long as you get the right person. Chucky has a specific identity tied to Douriff and I'm not having anyone else.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • This series should be in the grave
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    So should RZ's Rejects but you eat that white trash shit up.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!