The Off-Topic Thread August 2018: Two more months till Halloween Edition

Another night at work.
2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!

Comments

• Fastest year ever bro
  • Yeah it is going by pretty quick.
  • Lead singer of Imagine Dragons (who you may know from car commercials or their hits every year) just started posting videos on Twitter about the Illuminati and naming people

Lol
  • I fucking need October, working outside all summer hasn't been fun.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    Happy August Underground!

august-underground-gif-1.gif

• AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, fuck this summer. I'm so ready to get cold again.

I work as a chef and our restaurant kitchen has been unbearable to work in. The air con in there is broke and my manager seems to not give a shit whatsoever that we're all practically sweating buckets everyday, despite the fact that remind him on a daily basis. There isn't even a door or window to prop open. So yeah, cunt bitch customer who decides to rock up 5 minutes before closing when I'm physically exhausted and tells the waitress "if the food isn't right, I'm writing a formal complaint" before having even eaten a thing - I really cannot be dealing with your fucking shit.

I need a career change...
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • If you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen
  • I wish I could, but I got no skills bro. No education. Can't be fucked going back to college, I made two attempts before and fucked both of them up.

If I am actively being a defeatist and surrendering to a job I hate, am I still entitled to bitch and moan about it?
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • _Blakelock__Blakelock_ - OHMSS
    edited August 2018
    There’s plenty of jobs you can get with a high school diploma and even if you don’t, lie, most employers don’t check anyway. Retail isn’t great, but I’d rather work at Walmart then any food service job. Fuck food service.

Anyone wanna see a gross pic of my leg that has cellulitis? It’s gnarly as hell.
  • You can make way more money as a chef/cook than at Walmart.

@atmosphere it's just a saying we have here. I've been dying.

Ever thought about labor work? Different in the UK obv but if you want results fast that's what you should be doing
  • I’d rather take less pass and work retail then work food service.
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, I earn a decent salary, no complaints there

It's just the nature of the job I'm sick of. It's long hours, morning until late night, six days a week, busting your ass for ungrateful pieces of shit with no reward. I did start out this work with some passion for it, but it's completely gone now.

@Se7en Labor work is something I could probably do, always thrived with more manual, hands-on work. I don't know what it's like there, but it seems like here you still have to formally train for a lot of those jobs, which means going back to college or getting an apprenticeship. Both of which aren't ideal if you got bills to pay. It's a shitty catch 22 and probably the reason a lot of folk talk themselves out of career changes. I'll definitely look into it more though, see what entry-level positions there are. Definitely need to get pro-active about it before I have a crisis.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • You sound like my roommate (got me into the kitchen) before the job sent her off the rails. I get you. Any other restaurants that would take you? Cooks are always a commodity.

So long as you're a body with a vehicle there's a million positions here. You can't leave the house without seeing pickup trucks with their business on the windshield, trucks lugging shit around. It's only the oil field work where one might have to splurge a few hundred to get their safety tickets and such. Alberta is basically the south of Canada and being in a small town, that manly man work is practically the only option young guys have around here. The straggler city folks like me who didn't grow up fucking with tools and cars are stuck at gas stations/restaurants/retail.
  • edited August 2018
    And (this is admittedly holding me back) those men working those jobs tend to be dickheads. Was a shop hand for my brother in law's oil company and got treated like shit. For my hair, for not being able to drive, not knowing the terminology of tools, etc. If you don't fit the typical mold of masculinity it can be rough.

Meanwhile, said brother in law pulling in close to 10k a cheque after taxes is blowing his money on coke and hookers, motorcycle gear. Cleared 700k (before taxes) in 2016 and they have nothing to show for it. I see these guys at the bar every night.

Idk. Don't think it's for me without losing my mind.

Edit

But the money is astronomical and worst case scenario, I feel like I can suffer for a few months and load myself up for what I want to do.

If you're pulling in let's say 5k a cheque (hell, a month) and you live comfortably cheap, that's a small fortune in a very small amount of time.
  • So fucked up coming from where I came from to this town where you walk outside and all you see is dollar signs.

Like, how many millions are within a 2 block radius of me? And these are just working people. It's crazy.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    Lol at you pommy gits thinking what you have is a heat wave.

Ha

Haha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Speaking of work. Last day of my 6 year old job tomorrow. Stone Mason on Monday. Apprenticeship isn't starting instantly, he is waiting to hear back from the tech teacher. I'm hoping I don't have to wait till next year for it to start, will find out I guess.
    edited August 2018
    The British are very overdramatic when it comes to the weather. This kind of heat is a big deal for us, much like when we get a rough winter the country goes into meltdown.

But I was talking about the heat in the kitchen at my workplace. It reached 118 °F in there today, with no air con or filtration system, and a bare bones team so everyone is working extra fast to get everything done. It's madness.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • _Blakelock__Blakelock_ - OHMSS
    edited August 2018
    Nope. I’d walk right out. I worked in Subway one summer the air went out. All the ovens pushed the temp over 120, I quit after two days. The owner refused to fix it, had us propping the door open and fans on for air. No job is worth that.
  • edited August 2018
    On Mondays and Fridays I work in a temperature controlled room. Between 87 and 95 degrees and around 70% humidity. I'm also there for like ten hours. It sucks.
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Holy shit y'all complain a lot.

Shut the fuck up. Mostly you Seben. Actually...just you.

I love heat, just cook the shit outta me fam. That's why i set myself on fire when I was 10.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
This discussion has been closed.