The Official 2018 NFL Season Thread

Comments

• I won't tell ya how old I was for Superbowl XII, but I crawled under blankets with my teddy bear and cried!

DeMarcus Ware was awesome for Denver. Great player in his own right and totally helped Von Miller get his head screwed on right. It's too bad his back gave out.
  • heh, i was only six. i vaguely remember my dad freaking out joyfully.

yeah, another great player felled by a mortal spine.
  • Second rounder for a ninth year safety that will be a free agent in a year anyways? And the Seagulls turned it down. I smell bullshit. I disagree about the absolute need for a safety just because there are not only very few great safeties but probably a lot fewer good ones than anybody would believe. Who the fuck was the Giants All-World safety for either of their recent Super Bowl teams? I think in 2011 they had a decent one; some Hurricane whose name escapes me. Besides, even with Thomas, I bet you can find plenty of games in the last three years where the Seahawks got scorched.
  • oh no doubt, but dallas has been so bereft of quality safety help, i'm desperate. i like so much about what we've done with our defense, but for some reason, since drafting roy williams, we just don't seem to have addressed the position very seriously. i agree a 2nd for a ninth year player is a reach, but i'm desperate, man. if i had faith they could find someone from who is available, i'd be more relaxed.
  • Alex Smith will have a lot less fabulous toys at his disposal on the Redskins. Adrian Peterson who now beats his kids because those little fuckers hold him up from hitting the early bird special. Jamison Crowdfunding? However there's no way they can possibly have a worse run of injuries this year. Smith's always been an interesting case because he actually is a capable down-the-field passer. He's just so gosh darned afraid to actually skin that smokewagon.

Those picks look fine. Aaron Rogers is actually Aaron Rodgers and not Aaron Rogers, Erin Rogers, or Erin Rodgers. I don't see how the Skins manage with no real changes of note. Also I wouldn't take it for granted that Mahomes will make enough mistakes to offset the asset that is his huge arm.
  • I wasn't even swimming around in my daddy's balls yet for another couple of years when Craig Morton reminded Tom Landry how insane he was to hold off starting Staubach on a permanent basis and that musical chairs QBs was also a dumb ass idea. Before he passed several years ago, we were sitting around wondering how the hell one of my nephews had blonde curly hair. My brother pointed out I had blonde hair when I was a kid. Dad said, "yeah, but it was like that one little blonde-headed pussy guy that used to play for the Cowboys, Golden Richards." Fun trivia: it wasn't Richards that was apparently some kind of pervert, but some creep named Lance Pretzel. Not to be confused with Lance Alworth AKA Bambi.
  • In all due fairness, even Roy Williams didn't address the safety position for very long. He couldn't distinguish his ass from a hole in the ground once Darren Woodson retired. He was a totally obsolete mule once they took away his horse collar tackle finishing maneuver.
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited September 2018
    Lavia'eon Bell's asking for too much considering that trio has only made one AFC Title Game appearance since it was assembled. Never mind the fact that he is much less valuable than the likes of Gurley and Elliott are to their respective teams because the Steelers already have All World talent at QB and receiver. If Conner balls out for a month, maybe both sides agree to shut him down for the year which would then fully open up the channels for a trade.
  • I agree that the 'skins probably won't win the division, but I couldn't, in good conscience, pick the Cowboys with all the Dallas fans in here :)

Speaking of Super Bowl XII, Dez Bryant just played in the wrong NFL era...

• nancenance maryland
    edited September 2018
    the thing with poor roy, who was an honorable face for the cowboys for a few years until that fateful monday night against santana moss, was at least dallas made a serious effort to acknowledge that safety is an important position (jesus, how i miss cliff harris/charlie waters, woody and thomas everett, guys like james washington, dennis thurman, michael downs. i'd even love ray horton at this point). i think if roy had ever been able to line up back there with darren woodson, he might have had a better run. but i give roy props for effort, for awhile at least. those were some really bad teams (oh, jerry, dave campo?) and roy was about the only good thing on there for a minute. and while he made the horse collar a thing, at least it was at to's expense. but they tried. i've just been astonished at how little we've done to seriously
    edited September 2018
    Well, that wasn't remotely a catch but it was a much simpler time when catching the ball in the damn end zone meant it was instantly a touchdown without any of this football moves rigmarole. The needlessly complicated and confusing "going to the ground" thing only seems to have become a thing after a zebra blew an easy touchdown call on a game-winning Calvin Johnson catch in the end zone against the Bears in the mid-2000s. That eventually mutated into the garbage at Lambeau Field where the rules suddenly determined catching a football and then lunging towards the end zone could somehow cause an incompletion.
    edited September 2018
    I've always been pretty ambivalent towards the Broncos. I liked their chances against the Panthers a few years ago because of how dismissive everyone was of the Broncos shutdown defense. Maybe dismissive isn't the right term, but they definitely neglected how hard it would be for Fig Newton and his fruit filling insides to deal with the Broncos defense.
  • nancenance maryland
    edited September 2018
    while there's obviously only enough room in my heart for one team (the cowboys, natch--i grew up in dallas, and my dad, of course, wouldn't have ever allowed me to root for anyone else), i don't hate the broncos like i do most other teams (although i am fucking pissed that we haven't beaten them since 19fucking95). there's always been a nice cowboy connection--craig morton, dan reeves, charlie waters, steve wilson, tony dorsett, demarcus ware--and they've had players i respected, like steve watson, rod smith, tom jackson, steve atwater, terrel davis, shannon sharpe--love me some shannon--and even guys like gary kubiak and steve deberg. i think elway is kind of an ass--he was a dick to the colts, and i especially didn't appreciate his whole "we gave kap a shot" bs--but i enjoyed watching him play. he had one of the best arms i've ever seen and played with determination. he single-handedly got his team to three superbowls, and the degree to which they were demolished just underscores how much he did to get them there.
  • that was some bullshit yesterday. offense looks terrible, wasted a really good defensive effort. dak looked really lost, inaccurate, uncomfortable in the pocket, unwilling and unable to look down the field. when the offense was on, the field felt so small, so impenetrable. whats the point of having a running game if the defense has no respect--nor should it--for your passing game? i would sy it's time for jason garrett to go, but as long as jerry's running the show, it doesn't really matter, does it?
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    Well like the announcers said a million times during the game, when sit out of preseason as much as these players do, you are going to look exactly like what Dak looked like. i can understand the Brees, Rodgers, Brady's etc of the NFL sitting out but not players two 3 years into the league. What sucks is there were times when Dak looked solid but he couldn't string consistent plays together.

Defense looked good and I miss Dan Bailey already.
  • yeah, that missed fg was a huge swing. we lose momentum after putting together a reasonable drive, then we hand them the ball with great field position, which they then took down the field and scored. i agree with you, tex, a third year player, especially one who had an inconsistent year like dak, needs as much work in the preseason as possible. we can't afford to waste defensive efforts like that.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Woooo The Bucs tied a team record with 48 points in a game beating the Saints! And with old man Fitzpatrick throwing the ball! If only they could get some D.....

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• That Bucs game was definitely the most unexpected of all of'em thus far. Always great for fans of a team when even the most die hard is like, "I think we're toast," and then they pull it out.

Cowboys fans better hope Dak plays better before JJ decides its time to start the Paxton Lynch era ;)

Denver shoulda beat Seattle by three scores. On the plus side, they reacted to adversity well and pulled the game out. Last year's team woulda folded at the first sign of trouble. Of course they wouldn't have had to deal with adversity if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot five or six times with turnovers and ill-timed penalties. Von Miller was ridiculous though. Three sacks and this thing:

edited September 2018
    Good news is it was only one game. Bad news is there's fifteen more of these agonizing motherfuckers to sit through. I lasted three quarters which I suspect is a lot more than many much more sensible folks did. The only upside is if they keep playing this bad maybe Jerry's old craggly, saggly ass finally drops dead or Jason Carrot finally gets his walking papers. Of course, that was one ugly ass opening day of football lots of places besides Carolina. At least the defense looks like a beast.
  • Mayday, you know it's not going to last, brother. Shitzpatrick is as flaky as it gets. Yesterday, he just happened to be flaked on.