The Official 2018 NFL Season Thread

Comments

• If Brown is really on the trading block, I think he would be more of a game-changing acquisition for the team than even Earl Thomas. Giving up a 1st for him would be far from Jerry's craziest trade for a wide receiver. Thomas might be the piece that puts the defense over the top but Brown would give the Cowboys something they are sorely lacking and badly need on offense.
  • Yes, the irony of Gruden trading Mack is that the only thing he ever won was on account of that loaded defense Dungy designed.
  • Gruden want's to totally revamp it to his players that he's drafted, yet he's never been good at drafting or developing his own players.

It's mind boggling.
  • Don't forget he wants a bunch of old fucks. Which makes him Bill Parcells Lite. I guess young bucks sass too much. His QB as point guard philosophy is also antiquated as all hell too. When Mahomes is completing 15 passes for 250 and 5 TD, 29/32 for 275 and 2 TD at most equals jackshit.
  • I think he's just trying to push this season down the drain so they can start fresh in Vegas.

I wonder how long before their GM get's canned.
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited September 2018
    That makes no sense. You only tank to get a once in a generation quarterback. Besides aren't they moving there in 2020? They led at halftime in both games. They just don't have the players to finish teams off. It doesn't help either that Carr seems to be the same caliber of QB as Brad Johnson or Chad Pennington and nowhere near the likes of say Matt Ryan. I mention Ryan because he's viewed as a franchise guy but he's clearly in that second tier from the top. Even a flake like Kirk Cousins is preferable to Carr though, who quite frankly hasn't returned to form since the broken leg. Carr needs to wear his balls to work so he can hit the deep balls to Amari Cooper.

Gruden is still a jackass. His logic on Mack sucks. At least if a sorry defense has a pass rusher, they still have the chance of winning a shootout because a guy like Mack can make plays to end the game when the other team is forced into a passing situation.
  • Not a full blown tank, but supposedly they are looking at a different stadium for 2019 in Las Vegas.

I honestly believe Gruden want's to totally breakdown everything as he's methodical like that, it's never really worked for him though. He's always relied on FA's and not through the draft.

Idk frankly Del Rio got a bad wrap and that's bullshit as he actually brought them back to relevancy.
  • Well all 3 Florida teams are 2-0.......this season is already off to a mindfuck of a start.
  • Free agency is basically old fucks when it's the Parcells or Gruden methodology. They don't have the patience to deal with a bunch of rookie fuckwad young punks.
  • good job, browns. whenever i feel frustrated with the cowboys, i calmly remind myself that i was present and aware for 1992-1995, and that we're not the cleveland browns. how those people continue to root for that team is amazing, and if any franchise "deserves" good things, it's the brownies.
  • It looks like Baker Mayfield might be a thing. I'm all for the Browns getting good enough to lose three AFC Championship games to the Broncos again. :)
  • ^ouch! my dad still hates them from the sixties when we were in the same division with them, and they used ta pound us regularly, including 2 eastern conference championship games, and 11 of the first 12 meetings. we're catching up, however, and trail them 17-14 all-time; only like 12 more years till we're even-stephen. hang in there, dad (73, good health) so you can see it!
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited September 2018
    At worst, Mayfield is Chase Keenum evolved. That's his floor.
  • I expect Mayfield will be pretty good. He was the only QB I was more than neutral about the Broncos taking in the draft. I doubt Keenum gets a second contract with the Broncos unless he gets them to at least an AFC Championship by his second year. It feels like they are pretty high on Chad Kelly's potential.
  • Yeah, if there's one thing Elway has shown it's that he runs a meritocracy. Then again, he probably realized Brock Osweiler (albeit with more neatly trimmed facial hair) was Paxton Lynch's ceiling after one season.
  • Yeah. In hindsight he should've let Jerry have both of their plan A and fallen into the better Plan B that Dallas ended up with (even if the jury is still out on Dak, at least he's starting for an NFL team).
  • if someone can emerge at tight end and the receivers can start showing up with some regularity (big ifs, i know), i think dak can be a fine, efficient qb who is capable of making plays with his legs, but also can make big throws when needed. this also assumes good line play, continued run support and sturdy defensive play, all things that i think are reasonable expectations.

tomorrow should be a good indicator of where we're going. seattle is desperate, wounded, and down, and they still have some quality playes, especially under center. dallas has to exert something over them. i think this is a game we should win. will we? that's another story. i think our coaching position lacks...the ability to do things in-game. if linehan isn't calling a good gameplan, we're lost.
  • Having played the Seahawks I can tell you that Dallas should expect to win. They don't have a whole lot more than Wilson. Thomas and Wagner are still savvy but they don't have nearly as much talent around them.
  • when y'all played seattle, were you like yeah, this is how it was, twice a year? i think that's how my dad is with cleveland, still feeling like they're in the same division, to say nothing of conference.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Speaking of football....in what is sure to be one of the biggest upsets of the college football season, the 0-3 unranked Old Dominion Monarchs scored 4 times in the 4th quarter to down the #13 Virginia Tech Hokies 49-35! #GoODU!

Jury. Executioner. Judge.