The Official 2018 NFL Season Thread

Comments

• barfo, what a shitty game. dallas played down to my lowest expectations. the amazing thing about it, we were looking pretty good until zeke fumbled after waving the ball all over the place (watch emmitt; he switched arms. why hold the ball toward the middle of the field when you can keep it by the sideline?). the offense is completely ineffectual, and when they do start moving, they really seem to find a way to fuck it up. the defense gets tired and...poof! game over. earl thomas really fucked us over today. earl, it wasn't our fault you didn't get traded. jeez. the wretched passing game is most troublesome, and while zak gets a lot of the blame for inaccuracy, he's not getting much help from his line or scott linehan. my dad and i were like "this reminds us of the dave campo era...." i think it's gonna be a long season.
  • Don't forget Zeke making himself ineligible on what should've been a huge early momentum shifting TD pass. Assembled by Skeletor and led by Raggedy Andy, these fucking guys don't even know what hole to stick it in.
  • TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
    The roughing the passer penalties are atrocious and making it hard to enjoy NFL. It makes no sense what they want. These are perfect form tackling that I have been teaching for 20 years. It’s pathetic.
  • nancenance maryland
    edited September 2018
    yeah the roughing stuff was infuriating. i saw clay mathews and tyronne crawford both get flagged for, essentially, tackling. how do you run forward at someone, tackle them, and not fall on them? it's ridiculous.

zeke definitely had a shitty game. he also had a crucial drop to go with his other gaffes. but the failure to throw for 200 yards week in and week out is not at a professional level. i mean, if we had 200 effective yards on the ground it would be different, but we don't.

@RowdyRoddyCrackpiper "assembled by skeletor and lead by raggedy andy" is t-shirt worthy. hilarious. i shared that with my dad and brother.
    42413621_2137936349586375_3146314232971132928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=fb62b9f6b44ca036f66915be12e62c62&oe=5C287BF7
  • Is it me, or do the Patriots look like they've lost a step? Losing to Jacksonville that has a bad offense, and then losing to the Detroit Lions (perennial NFL punching bags).....I really don't know if they can beat Miami next week, as the Dolphins always play New England tough, and usually take one out of the two meetings.
    Don't count the Patriots out till they are officially out. Seen it one too many times.
  • @nance Seattle and SAN DIEGO were always lesser rivals than the Raiders and Chiefs. There were a few big games with the Seahawks back in the 80s, but mostly they were an also ran. Beating Denver to win a Superbowl was probably super satisfying to their fan base though.
  • edited September 2018
    For current events, if the Broncos play next Monday night light they did yesterday, KC will beat them by four touchdowns.
  • @TexasSnacks Oh believe me, I've seen the Patriots change the script plenty of times. I'm just saying, a lot of these guys on their squad just don't look like they're buying into "the Patriot way". Then again, Bellichick is the best at turning trash into treasure so you're probably right. But damn, right now they are looking like hot ass.
  • @AFletcherHarper That's right, once upon a time the Seahawks were in the AFC West.....I had almost forgotten about that.
  • The roughing the passer bullshit is an overreaction and overcorrection for Aaron Rodgers getting injured last season by a hit that has been legal for the entire history of football. Hell, Tony Romo had his season ended three different times on similar plays; the last time it happened twice in the same season.
  • @RowdyRoddyCrackpiper you had to bring up tony...

rawImage.jpg

watching us try to throw the ball right now...we used to have it so good.

i know it's fashionable to jump on the patriots every time they have an early season dip (remember a year after they traded bledsoe and cut milloy, the bills opened the season by shutting the patriots out 31-0? season ended with a 31-0 payback to the bills en route to a superbowl win as carolina got a little impatient and started going for two point conversions early in the the third quarter). but it's gonna end eventually, and i doubt any of us wanna miss out when it happens. at some point, belichick will lose touch, all the players on the roster will suck, and brady will behave like a normal forty-something year-old person. seeing them lose two games in row with such anemic offensive effort--really, to see them dominated on consecutive weeks--really signals blood in the water. they're gonna play better teams than detroit.

but it's still early. let's keep our eyes open and hope they'll fall off they're smug, lucky-ass thrones (they are five time superbowl champs, but they are the weakest of all of them. give them props for dominating free-agency, but three superbowls were won with field goals against teams that just tanked--rams, so much better, panthers, so stupid, eagles, what happened donavan?--and two more later against teams that forgot they age-old mantra of run the fucking ball (seattle and atlants, y'all fucking had them). you win those games by being smarter--and they are--but my god, the margins are razor thin.
  • Rams lost because that dumbest genius cocksucker in the world Mike Martz must have bet on the Rams to cover. Bill dared him to throw the ball and he did. He should've fed Faulk instead of digging his team an early hole. It's the Seahawks debacle on a greater scale where pompous ass Pete had to throw in the middle of the field on second and goal. Martz allowed his own head to get stuck too far up his ass for large stretches of that game. In all fairness to Brady, you do have to consider that his defense surrendered last minute leads to Eli twice, the first time after the Pats gained the lead with under three minutes left. Also had the Seahawks managed to finish that drive, losing after taking the lead with just over two minutes left would've been insane; especially considering the crazy ass catch that put the Seahawks in position to win. Nobody will remember it was just as miraculous as the helmet catch because the Seahawks didn't bother finishing the job.

Unfortunately injuries mean Romo's career is cemented as Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers Lite in the same way the textbook definition flimsy flinger Sam Bradford has had an Alex Smith or Chad Pennington Lite type of career.
  • Speaking of overcorrection, Shitztragic has finally regressed to the mean.
  • nancenance maryland
    edited September 2018
    never trust ryan fitzpatrick after two games...y'all read about that dolphin dl who blew out his knee trying to avoid "falling on the qb with all his weight" madness?
  • @nance Saw that. Hakeem Spence is his name, I thought he was doing the worm after sacking Carr.......turns out he was just writhing in pain after tearing his ACL. He did pull up on him awkwardly.
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited September 2018
    I guess Shitzmagic? Three embarrassing passes in the first half followed up by almost pulling off a magic act in the second half? I was temporarily reminded of the time Peyton embarrassed the Bucs on Monday Night Football with a 21-point comeback in three minutes. Bucs definitely should've went for it instead of punting it back. Steelers offense is too good to have any high probability of ever getting the ball back. Sure, if you're a shitheap on offense like the Cowboys, you punt it back. 4th and 10 in that situation for their tiddly wink offense is every bit as dire as 4th and 25.

Before we put this week completely in the rear view, let's acknowledge Calvin Ridley's 7 catches for 146 yards and 3 TD for the Falcons. As Cowboys fans, let's acknowledge this dude was picked 26th while the Cowboys picked another useless goddamn fucking punk ass toy ass linebacker motherfucker, Leighton Vander Etch (sounds like some whore that used to have a show on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel) seven slots earlier. Vander Etch will be lucky to play 30 percent of the team's snaps. Probably another Barbie Carpenter in the making.
  • Possible trade partners for the Le'veon Bell sweepstakes:
    1.Jets
    2.Colts
    3.Dolphins
    4.Titans
    5.Eagles
    6.Raiders
    7. Packers

Who do you think lands him?
  • Nobody's going to give up a quality draft pick just to rent him for ten games. So it's really his call as much as the other team. Something would have to be worked out in advance where there was an understanding between both parties that a long-term contract would be worked out after the season. That's the only way anybody's going to give up a solid draft pick. If that's not the case, why would Bell bust his ass as a rental for a team he had no plans of remaining with?

Eagles are fine.

Packers are too dumb and boring.

Raiders make no sense because they weren't even willing to pay the best pass rusher in the league.

Those other four teams are all likely destinations except for the hiccups I mentioned that might prevent Bell from being traded anywhere.