The Official 2018 NFL Season Thread

Comments

• way to go, cowboys. nice to see zeke, dak, joe looney, demarcus, brett maher all respond with great games! we needed this. hopefully, the good feelings will carry over.
  • I was drawing while watching the second half and a good minute after the game ended my hand was still trembling. I don't trust kickers worth a damn. Never have. Never will.
  • Jags next big test is against a high flying Chiefs offense.

Should be quite a game!

Tennessee has been a real surprise with Vrabel stepping in and getting the best out of his players.
  • The only downside to all this high flying offense dominating the league is how artificial it is due to the quarterbacks wearing skirts.
  • Pretty much, it's ridiculous how coddled they are now.

I was watching the Steelers game and one of the women announcers on the sidelines was telling the booth how her son plays a tackle/flag hybrid where they have to pull these flag like things off their backs so that's where we are headed.

At least I think that was during the Steelers game, could have been during the Jags game.
  • RowdyRoddyCrackpiperRowdyRoddyCrackpiper Badstreet USA
    edited October 2018
    Nah, that's just upper crust yuppies. That shit ain't flying everywhere else. Besides those are the types of mothers whose kids ain't sniffing an SEC roster much less the NFL. They were always going to be lacrosse players. For everybody else's mama that ain't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, their kids getting scholarships and however long a shot at going pro is still a golden ticket too valuable to pass up. I don't have a problem with the targeting penalties as much as penalties for form tackling a grown ass 6'4", 240 lb. man that just happens to play quarterback. Sure, they err way too far on the side of caution with these anti-headhunting penalties but that is a serious health crisis. Now legislating broken collarbones for 200 million dollar quarterbacks out of the game is all about ratings.

Besides that's impossible unless tackle football is actually made illegal. The NFL can become as pussy and image conscious as they want but that would just open the doors for a rival league that would actually be able to call itself an alternative by playing legitimate old school football.

• Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives in KC
    edited October 2018
    "Cough" "Cough" The XFL is coming.

zh8SW5.gif

That's going to be interesting!
  • Well that was a frustrating loss for the home team. Keenum and Thomas need to hook up on that wide open pass.
    edited October 2018
    Not really because its still NFL and even CFL rejected scrubs that are going to make up the XFL rosters. Sure, when Tebow ends up playing for the Birmingham Biblethumpers, there will be tens of thousands of idiots watching while they whack off wrapped in the American flag bawling their eyes out at the beauty of it all, but that's hardly going to threaten the NFL. Wait, what's that? Apparently Tebow is still working hard at this minor baseball thing with the Mets so they don't even have that Trump card to play.

That's the real fly in the ointment, enough capital or rich bastards willing to pay salaries capable of competing with the NFL. Bitching aside, the ratings are back up and the games have been wild rides so far. Furthermore it's really only when the penalties cost somebody's team a game that they're pissed off. On that note, when you think about it, not only did Aaron Rodgers injury ruin the Packers season last year, but with the wimpy penalties that have gotten called against Clay Matthews, based off of essentially the Aaron Rodgers play nice rule, his injury will end up fucking them out of a couple of wins this season too. Oh the irony.
  • The NFL is over-officiated in general. It's the one thing most people hate. Especially because refs have so much on their plate they often miss easy and basic calls (like, erm, not calling delay when the play clock hits zero). The league won't be in any real trouble for awhile, but if the quality of the product doesn't get better they might start to feel it in a decade or so.

On a different note (and as a Broncos fan it pains me to say this), but Mahomes reminds me a ton of John Elway. He's good within the structure of the offense, but friggin' great when he starts moving around to extend the play and then uses that huge arm to complete balls to guys who get open during the fire drill.
    edited October 2018
    I feel your pain, Fletch. The zebras had a similar clock-related fuckup nearly a decade ago in the playoffs when rookie Joe Flacco and the Ravens upset the top seeded Titans. There seems to be a much higher incidence of early whistles that kill fumbles wiping out any recovery by the defense or fumbles returned for touchdowns. It happened last week in the Raiders/Browns game and in last year's AFC Title Game wiping out a potentially game-sealing Myles Jack touchdown.
  • nancenance maryland
    man, there are few things worse than being kept up late for an evening game, then having it go to overtime, then losing. at least i have indigenous people's day off today! the offense is really a liability at this point, but, for what it's worth, i don't think dak deserves as much blame as he's been getting. i was very impressed with his pocket awareness, and on pick was totally on tayvon austin, and there a buncha crucial drops. defense played great, just lost track of it all on the play to hopkins. i think a lot of our games gonna be like this the rest of the way. at least the vikes beat philly, eh?
  • Damn, that was a weak showing by Denver. Our coaching is a bummer.
  • nancenance maryland
    nothing takes the sting off a loss like seeing washington get trounced on natty teevee, then listening to the local radio guys (and fans) going nuts. i feel a little better.
  • nancenance maryland
    while i thoroughly feel--and was yelling at him to that effect--that we should have gone for it in overtime, the fact that jason has to answer to jerry--brilliant master strategist that he is--makes wanna defend jason. jesus fuck, we are a mess. and why, if jerry has a conversation about this with jason, do we know about it? ever heard of closed doors and locker rooms? this kind of thing should not be made public. the nfc east, the division with the most superbowls and the only division where every team has one at least one (well, only one team has won one; everybody else has at least three, some of us even have five), is severely unimpressive aross the board. i'm sure philly will figure their shit out, but the rest of us suck.
  • Texans win two in a row because Frank Reich's balls are too big and Garrett.....well, that motherfucker just plain doesn't have any. With any luck, the shit show version of Blake will quarterback the Jags this weekend.
    edited October 2018
    Jerry and Dez have been trading some preciously passive aggressive barbs.
    "We haven't had a no. 1 in years."
    "You're right, Witten was our no. 1."

"What I mean, cat daddy, is that Julio Jones is a no. 1."

I do have to side with Jerry though. The problem is that even at his best Dez was never the kind of sleek difference maker DeAndre Hopkins is much less Julio Jones. That being said with the right elite maker variety of QB like Romo, Dez was still very capable of grabbing those 50/50 balls. Dak just doesn't possess that kind of accuracy nor did the duo ever develop the kind of synchronicity him and Tony "The Mexican Shattering Bean" Romo did.
  • nancenance maryland
    y'know what makes me the most sad about losing tony? he had really figured things out, like completely. in 2014, everything came together (helped, of course, by a commitment to running and an o-line). it was like he was neo at the end of the first matrix, or fry after drinking his 100th cup of coffee: everything around him slowed down and he was its' master. i mean, in 2014, he was just pure aces, could do no wrong. if dez catches that ball (i will probably harp on this for another ten or fifteen years)--and i do think it was a catch, but fuck it, dez, just come down with the ball! we don't even want a td yet, we need to take more time off the clock--i think we have a legitimate shot at the superbowl, as both green bay and seattle were extremely unimpressive in the championship game that year. his body just gave out on him. i do think we should have put him back in in 2016 when he was ready. but goddammit, fucking seahawks in that pre-season game. obviously, tony's bod was taking no more of it. it's too bad. i look forward to wondering in the desert for another two and a half decades...
  • He figured out everything except the turn injuries off cheat code for reality. Brees has been throwing 35 passes a game for the better part of fifteen years now and that little scamp never gets a bruise on him except that Blood On Satan's Claw birthmark which has always been there. Even if Dez caught that ball, Rodgers had way too much time left on the clock. Romo ever being ready again was a dicey proposition because at any point he could've pulled a muscle in his back sneezing while trying to call an audible.
  • Well that was a complete thrashing.