Hold The Dark (2018)

TexasSnacksTexasSnacks is Certified Rotten
From Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, Green Room)- "After the deaths of three children suspected to be by wolves, writer Russell Core is hired by the parents of a missing six-year-old boy to track down and locate their son in the Alaskan wilderness."

Oh yea. I'm liking this.

Comments

• AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited August 2018
    Sold.

Saulnier is dope. One of my favorite director's working today.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Looks great. I'm in.
  • Saulnier is on fire, can't wait for this!
  • edited October 2018
    SPOILERS

That scene where the police get gunned down was so insane and contrasted his friend earlier in Iraq. A 2nd viewing will probably reveal a lot more as there was so many parallels and not just with the wolves.

Got Murder Party ready for October. Saulnier is the man!
  • The shootout scene was fucking fire.

One thing Saulnier can really sell is violence with consequence. So many films have inconsequential violence where someone will get shot or stabbed or whatever but it doesn't seem realistic, it usually feels like a special effect. In Saulnier's films, you believe it. You can feel every hit and blow.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Pretty much the only thing, and in this case I echo the critics of green room who thought it was hollow and exploitative for the sake of it, it doesn't go all in with anything and the end result is kind of a mish mash that doesn't entirely work
  • @Atmosphere complete agree. Every death in Hold the Dark carried so much weight to it. You could feel the gunshots, the stab wounds. The scene at the morgue is so jarring.
  • I don't really get why it's a mish mash? I think everything was very methodical to tell the story he wanted, albeit a simple one with simple ideas.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • When you don't commit to exploitative trappings while telling your serious story with your big ideas, it feels forced. The moment the blood starts pouring out of Skarsgård's neck, I'm immediately taken out of the scene by the attention Saulnier directs towards it. There's a line between feeling the violence and feeling the personal space of a violent situation and feeling like the scene is being shot like it is to highlight the violence specifically. This isn't a problem in and of itself, but it becomes one when he holds back for so much of the film. When these two three explosive scenes come, they stick out like a sore thumb.

Green Room doesn't care, it has its pretentions but it is what it is. You can't have your hardcore edge movie and your serious drama at the same time. Saulnier's themes directly contrast his form, I don't know what it's trying to be, but it's clearly more than it is.
  • Granted, if I didn't know what The Revenant was composed of, who was involved, and the nature of that story (which, in general HTD owes something to) I'd probably think the same about that for what I just talked about above. You're constantly made aware of the form there.
  • edited October 2018
    lol. There's plenty of serious dramas fused with hardcore edge and violence. To say you can't have both, how ridiculous.

• Not what I'm saying
  • What you literally just said

"You can't have your hardcore edge movie and your serious drama at the same time"
  • You can fuse the two. You can't have both at the same time.
  • edited October 2018
    Bullshit. The Coens and Scorsese have made a career of it, as has every other revenge tale.
  • edited October 2018
    Wish I could have seen this at the cinema. I was done watching an episode of Trailer Park Boys one evening and an ad for this popped up. No anticipation lol.

The violence in Green Room reminded me of Eden Lake. Both are so damn harrowing and I haven't built up the courage to rewatch either.
  • Don't compare this to the coens please

The Scorsese thing is out of this universe
  • edited October 2018
    @Midnight-Kroovy Yeah I saw a facebook notification on the Netflix page, otherwise, this would have slipped under the radar.

• @Atmosphere It's not a mish-mash. Basically, every other drama/thriller with bursts of graphic violence have been doing this shit for decades now. It ain't nothing new.