Untitled Joker Origin Movie (2019)

edited September 2018 in Movies and TV
In the first stand-alone movie centered on the classic Batman villain, Joaquin Phoenix plays Arthur Fleck, who no doubt transforms into the criminal psychopath, Joker.

Directed by Todd Phillips and produced by Scorsese, the movie is supposed to be a darker, grittier take on the character.

First image revealed.

2IupU6l.jpg

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Joaquin is the GOAT. Todd Phillips is a weird choice, but I'm down for a more serious vision of Joker. Joaquin wouldn't have signed on if the material wasn't great.

Edit

Or after the Jesus movie I guess if Rooney is in it
  • This project has major potential.
  • I'm getting some serious Scorsese-esque King of Comedy vibes from this, and De Niro has also been cast.

Todd Phillips is a weird choice, but then again so was David Gordon Green for Halloween.

Joaquin can turn this into something special.
  • That this project even exists tells you that Warner Bros have lost their will with the DCEU. They're probably testing the waters to see how this performs and if it's great, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the kill switch on the current Extended Universe. At least I hope.

I'm so down for this
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Warner Bros should disband the DCEU and do stand alone movies. The DCEU has been a miserable failure, but this movie has the potential to be awesome, especially if its R rated.
  • I mean, I get it... the competing studios saw what Marvel did with the MCU and tried to ape the formula. But the MCU is an anomaly, something that has taken years of building from a clear, singular leadership. I don't even consider myself a fan if I'm honest, but to say that what they've done is nothing short of brilliant would be foolish.

It definitely speaks volumes to the material that someone like Phoenix signed on for it. I can't think of many reasons why any big-name, esteemed actor would want to join the DC movie roster right now. The risks are too great, so there had better be a blindingly good reason for doing it.

Todd Phillips is an interesting choice. Unexpected, but at least it feels fresh. My hope is that they actually kinda throw any Joker source material out of the window and do something completely new with this.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Marvel has been riding on the coattails of The Avengers for years and it's only a matter of time before the wheels fall of that bus and this becomes forever known as the decade of superheroes in Hollywood. They had a great (at the time) film with unbelievable hype going in. Anything was gonna - and has - worked after The Avengers.

DC jumped the gun immediately and floundered with Man of Steel. That movie cannot be the starting point. Then they failed again. And again. And again. Even if Dawn of Justice is great for a certain crowd and the Blakelock's of the world can enjoy it with their kids, DC needed that standalone with Universal acclaim to get people to give a shit. Instead they drove right on into a sea of mediocrity.

It still hurts that Marvel geeks and mainstream critics shit on DC when their best film is better than all of theirs combined, but that's the world we live in. Like anything, film is time and place and it just wasn't the right time for DC. It's too late.
  • When I say The Avengers WAS great, I just mean that every one of these films bar one or two looks the same, plays out the same, has the same tone, and nothing matters. It dilutes the effectiveness of everything in it. Great in a vacuum.
  • But most importantly.....will G.G. Allin be on the soundtrack?
  • Obviously the DCU guys aren't complete idiots, they are making films "good enough" to be shown in the theater and not go straight to Netflix, VOD, or DVD, that's not saying a lot necessarily, just that they can get 6/10s from most critics

I wrote a bunch yesterday and then deleted it. I think this video I found later sums up what I was aiming for more coherently

Out of all their properties, Batman does the best. It's just easier to do a passable if not better version of him. He's got the Death-wish-ness any audience can relate too, and not the four color always do right even if it means having to spend more time at it to always do right

So you make Batman your Flagship, but not of the other movies are sailing the same flagship. They keep going from gritty flagship to more four color stories

They really need to pick a lane and would be a lot better to lighten up the Batman movies than trying to make gritty Superman, Wonder Woman, or whoever.

I think the Shakespeare route of heavy angst , light hearted is the way to go (this being how I see the MCU, could be other ways to put a fine point her tho)

Soften up Batman and the DCU just might flourish instead of all their multiple tones

Anyway, that's my theory of why the DCU isn't catching on like the MCU and what could be fixed

It was the cow...

• Batman doesn't need to soften up. He's a dark, brooding character. All the others can still be lighter in tone.

Warner Bros just need to employ people who understand the characters, and if they want to have an MCU style franchise of their own then copy the formula. Build it slow. Do stand alone movies, give the audiences time to get to know the characters then put them all in one movie.

The DCEU pretty much went from Iron Man to Guardians to the Galaxy then onto The Avengers.
  • @Se7en Completely agree about all the Marvel stuff being the same. I can at least appreciate some of the bolder, riskier creative choices in the DCEU, but Feige straight plays it safe. And it works for him, because people still keep flocking to see these movies and will do for the forseeable future.

Take for instance Black Panther. When I first saw it, I thought Ryan Coogler was all over that movie. But I've seen it again since, and whilst it's a great film and probably my favorite of the MCU thus far, it's Coogler on a leash. I kinda didn't wanna acknowledge it the first time because I dig the guy so much.

Come to think of it, both the MCU and the DCEU are operating on opposite, extreme ends of the spectrum. The MCU offers little to no free reign to it's filmmakers and you could say Kevin Feige himself is the author of all those movies, and apparently over at the DCEU the individual filmmakers can do whatever the hell they want, good or bad.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Of course Kevin Feige and Disney rule over the MCU, otherwise, James Gunn would still be working there.

Yes, they stick to a very safe formula but it clearly works, but when they do branch out, like hiring Taika Waititi the results are gold.
  • Pics from the set.

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-01.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-03.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie-26.jpg

joaquin-phoenix-the-joker-movie.jpg
  • Joaquin looks more animated in these stills than he's been in any film over the last decade lol
  • @Willowfang theres no scenario where a superhero movie ends up on VOD, no matter how bad it is

@Atmosphere studios just can't pump hundreds of millions into something and trust another vision. Every movie with a name director has been that name doing a Marvel movie. Even Thor 3.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
  • Definitely a John Wayne Gacy vibe going on with that makeup.

I like it and its good to see a non traditional Joker look.
  • Mr_CottonMr_Cotton I am in Hell. Help me.
    I'm pretty sure that won't be the final look in the film, as it's test footage.
    "It's Frank. It's Uncle Frank. You remember. Come to Daddy."