Bad-Ass Female Horror Films

edited September 2018 in Horror Movies
What are some of your favourite feminist/pro-female/badass-bitch horror films?

Some rape-revenge faves:
Ms 45
American Mary
Revenge
(to name a few)

gE42GJx.jpg

Comments

• Ms. 45 and American Mary were both good. For rape/revenge there's always

nffjIEr.jpg
  • MV5BODdlZmM2YTctNDc4Ny00OGE3LWI0YjEtMDViNGVmOWE2YWZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

It was the cow...

• @AFletcherHarper Sacto I Spit On Your Grave is is a classic!!! What did you think of the remake?
  • @Glass Eater I remember seeing this in theaters when it came out -- I'm extremely claustrophobic so it really got to me lol
  • @Willowfang SoCal Ohh, I've never seen this!! But, "Tokyo Shock" sounds promising
  • While brainstorming, I'm noticing that most of the films I'm coming up with are rape/revenge films ... Drawing a blank, but I'm finding that most 'bad-ass female' films revolve around patriarchal wrongdoings.

Any others that don't involve rape or the theme of revenge?

Dead Hooker in a Trunk (same directors of American Mary)
    Ginger Snaps
    The VVich

What else?
  • nancenance maryland
    @ellefree

a nightmare on elm street
    patchwork
    tragedy girls
    red eye
    night of the comet
    them (1954) (significant because of the time period and the forcefulness of joan weldon's performance)
    hush
    the final girls
    texas chainsaw massacre 2
    night of the living dead (1990)
    day of the dead
    kristy
    the cat people (1942)
    snow white: a tale of terror
    scream
    alien/s
    may
    the babadook
    hellraiser
  • edited October 2018
    @ellefree I thought the remake lost the element of social commentary that elevated the original. It was a decent rape/revenge flick, but not on par with the 70s version.

Love that you came up with Ginger Snaps for bad ass female characters. Both the sisters.
  • The Machine Girl is crazy fun.
  • @ellefree i believe High Tension falls under the nonrapey badass chick. I could be wrong.. it's been a while.
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    DSVXC3vW0AEdFr6.jpg

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• The Descent is awesome, prolly my favorite one mentioned here. The VVitch is brilliant.

Lieutenant Ripley is the baddest bitch of them all.
  • Your Next8UNLt6I.jpg and Severance mgeRCeU.jpg two examples.
  • @nance nice list! I absolutely love May
  • @grassfedLongpork definitely, even though I didn't like this movie haha, but it definitely falls into this category. Though wait, it has been a while for me as well, wasn't she a rape victim?
  • @FanaticalHorror Nice, I've never seen Severance, is it worth checking out?
  • One movie from my childhood that isn't terrific, but stuck with me for life, is Disturbing Behavior. Bad-ass Katie Holmes.
    5MnUSCu.jpg
  • @ellefree Yeah it's gory fun throughout. I really enjoyed the great blend of horror and comedy.
  • BOMBOM Ireland
    Excision
    Raw
    In My Skin