Venom (2018)

Getting eviscerated by critics. Sony needs to stop.

Comments

• Memo to Sony.

Give all MCU properties to the fucking MCU. Stop trying to make your universes happen. They ain't happening.
  • It's all getting so tiresome, they need to scale back the comic book movies for awhile.

All of MCU's stuff is just so god damn bland and predictable anymore.
  • @Freddy_Lives , I agree about them becoming bland. I found Ant Man & The Wasp pretty boring apart from Walton Goggins.
  • Yeah Ant Man was a bit of a fizzer, but mainly because it's a smaller movie after the very big Infinity War.

I have no problem with comic book movies, just make good ones, and there's plenty of other movies to watch when the formula gets tiring.
  • There's plenty of comic books movies that I wouldn't mind seeing, I'm just saying the MCU should scale it back as it's trivial at this point well at least to me.
  • Their movies continue to make an absolute goldmine at the box office. Until their movies start outright flopping, I don't see any scale back any time soon.

With Disney acquiring Fox and all the MCU property they're pulling from that, it's only going to speed up.
  • Damn. There goes Tom Hardy's chances of entering the big league in Hollywood.

Probably for the best, he's way better suited to smaller, character-driven movies.

Thought this looked terrible from the first trailer.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Hardy is kind of big league, he just hasn't headlined a movie. I prefer him movies like Bronson.

By the sounds of it, he appears to be totally miscast in this.
  • He has a large fanbase, but the roles he's had thus far do nothing to suggest he's a hot property in Hollywood. The only times he's had big numbers at the BO is when he's part of a big ensemble. He's certainly not a "leading man". And that's fine, I'd rather him stick to character acting. It's what he's good at.

Definitely miscast. You could see that from the start.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • That's what I mean. He's well known but as a supporting player. He hasn't lead a movie and Venom was his chance.
  • The roles he's had thus far suggest he's a smart dude.

Really, what blockbusters out there since he got hot do you think he would consider stimulating material? Another case like Joaquin where even if I don't like every film, his resume speaks for itself. Venom isn't the first blockbuster he had a chance to be apart of.
  • I'm sure Hardy's been offered a ton of blockbusters to lead by now. He just chose the wrong one in this instance.

He's got a solid resume and has worked with some talented directors. If he wants to be leading man material I'm sure he'd have no trouble getting there.
  • I don't ever recall reading anything about audiences begging Hardy to do the movie.

That's not a reason why the film is shit either. Seems to be a hopeless script is the main problem.
  • damn...sad to see for Hardy...Bronson still my favorite flick of his. I will still see this one...eventually...
  • Significant cutting and changes from Sony are more of an issue
  • Yeah, people on twitter are saying all the R rated stuff cut at the last minute is very noticeable.
  • edited October 2018
    I mean, to be fair with 0Father just about everyone praised the decision of Hardy being Venom, whether fans wanted it or not, they certainly welcomed it.

Also, the movie is being hammered by the majority of critics but they are still giving Hardy praise, some even say he's the only aspect in the movie that makes it somewhat watchable.

Now back to the convo. Yes Sony fucked up, I remember raging when they finally revealed it was PG-13 after trailing us along for nearly half a year giving the illusion it would be Sony's "Logan". Instead we went back a decade, I guess Logan and Deadpool wasn't enough to convince the dumbshits in charge of this project.

Oh, and Ant man and the Wasp was the biggest filler movie Marvel has made in years. It literally has the same plot as the Star Wars Christmas special, and it goes straight back to classic Marvel ground in delivering us one of the most forgettable villains I've seen in a while. It was funny though, so whatever.
  • To be fair to sanity, Tom Hardy was cast because he's a massive name with an incredible pedigree, not because fans wanted a Venom movie and it just HAD to be him. Is this kid 16?
  • Saw Venom today. I thought it was a lot of fun. It's nowhere near the train wreck I was expecting. Gore's definitely been cut out but it's not edited to shit like Suicide Squad. Hoping we get a sequel.
  • Just hoping there's a R rated blu ray cut. I'll wait for that version.