The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

Based on Shirley Jackson's renowned 1959 gothic horror novel of the same name, Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game, Hush) brings a modern reimagining about five siblings who grew up in the most famous haunted house in America. Now adults, they're reunited by the suicide of their youngest sister, which forces them to finally confront the ghosts of their own pasts... some which lurk in their minds... and some which may really be lurking in the shadows of the iconic Hill House.

Anyone watching this yet? One of my favorite horror novels ever, and Mike Flanagan is truly becoming a modern master of horror. The first two episodes were great and I'm looking forward to continuing on. Granted this is a loose retelling of the source material, but that hasn't bothered me too much thus far.
• Guilty Remnant •

Comments

• From what I'm hearing, it's fantastic.

Really loving Mike Flanagans work so will definitely watch this.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    Oh yay! This starts tonight!
  • Flanagan needs to take a few years and do something great
  • @Se7en

He is dingbat, he's doing doctor sleep for a relase in 2020.

Doctor Sleep has a lot of potential, it's not as scary as The Shining but it has a good narrative of taking down evil.
  • The problem with adaptions for me is almost always that the book can get more depth and emotion out of the story than a movie possibly can. I know where you stand on The Shining but that's exactly why it's the best (among other things lol), it's essentially a very different story about different things that doesn't try to do what the book does.

Flanagan proved that theory wrong with Gerald's Game, which got more out of that story than I could have possibly imagined. Great with the camera, has a solid grasp on suspense - but he's doing these genre stories with a somewhat limited reach. He's making basic stories very good or great, but he can be more than that.
  • I haven't read Doctor Sleep, I loved The Shining novel as a kid but Kubrick's version is way more interesting to me
  • Watched a few episodes. Gee this is really good so far. Not crazy about the CGI effects, or the supernatural scare attempts in general, but the story itself is excellent. Even though the plot is different in some ways, it successfully captures the essence of the novel.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • Heard really good things about this.
  • Wow, really cool twist in episode 5.

Loving this. So in terms of adaptations, the house is the same, the characters have the same names, but that's about as far as the connection goes in the story. What Flanagan is really good with is capturing the terror and dread of the novel in his own way. The scares are really well set-up and executed. James Wan has nothing on this guy. He's a natural at getting the most tension and atmosphere out of every possible situation.

But what I have been most surprised about is how involved I am already in these characters lives. There's a strong emotional pull to these people who are essentially dealing with seeing unthinkable, fucked up things when they were children and carrying that shit through their whole life. That wouldn't work if the performances weren't good, but they have been pretty brilliant across the board so far.

If Flanagan is stuck doing stuff like this his whole career, then I wouldn't give a fuck frankly lol

• Guilty Remnant •
  • Well I watched all ten hours of it without skipping ahead, so it definitely held my interest. The scares weren't scary and the special effects were questionable, since CGI always manages to shatter my suspension of disbelief (makes me remember I'm watching a movie/TV show).

But still, ten hours of not skipping ahead. Although the plot was different, it reminded me a lot of the novel, maybe because it kept returning to the basic story of the house offering immortality and the characters being depressed and dramatic, also had a convincing gothic atmosphere.

Unexpectedly, it made me fondly remember The Haunting, the movie adaptation where Catherine Zeta-Jones played Theodora, even though I never liked that movie. In this new adaptation, Theodora's story-line was the most interesting to me, and reminded me a bit of Catherine's role in the 1999 film.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • I never forget I'm watching a show movie or match

Anyway ima check dis out
  • Episode 6 is a straight up masterpiece

Fucking love this show. Two more episodes to go
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • 2 episodes in. Really enjoying the slow burn of this.

The characters are great and the actors really sell it. Some nice, lush cinematography as well.
  • BOMBOM Ireland
    First episode tonight and pleasantly surprised, hope to binge over the coming days
  • It was excellent, Mike has a real grasp of ambiance and it seems like he always uses the perfect amount of tension and never overdeals or pushes things over the top.

The ending was spot on and the acting was solid all around.

Thoroughly enjoyed every episode.
  • This was fantastic. Less a ghost story and more of a study on the stages of grief. Solid acting across the board and excellent characterization., but so sad. The last episode, heartwrenching.

Wow, this turned out to be not what I was expecting at all. Mike has a real knack for masterful storytelling. The pacing was perfect and I was engrossed the entire time.
  • @gunsrazorsknives Agree. I wasn't expecting to get so invested in the characters, but by the end I found myself longing to spend more time with them.

Truly great horror makes you care about the victims. Hill House was scary because you didn't want anything to happen to these guys.

Excellent stuff. Directors like Flanagan will flourish on Netflix, they better give him whatever the hell he wants to do from this point on.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • @Atmosphere You cared about every single character, and the actors really sold it. I was invested so much in them that by the time the finale came around I was really rooting for them.

We knew everything about every single person and it been a long time since we've seen so much depth to the characters in a horror feature. This was done extremely well.
  • Turns out there are scary parts of this show, but you probably won't notice while watching. The creators added ghostly images into the scenes that are noticeable in still pictures of the series (after someone points them out). That kind of stuff unsettles me, because they look like real ghost photos (or at least what people claim are real ones), and it's unnerving to think those things were there in the background the whole time.
  • Enjoyed this a lot. Stellar performances by all. I didn't anticipate the direction it took in the end which was is rather profound.