The Night Comes for Us (Timo Tjahjanto, Netflix Original)

edited October 2018 in Movies and TV

night-comes.jpg

So cool that Timo's second classic has come making a spiritual successor to the franchise of the director that he made his first one with. Lots of nods to The Raid through Uwais alone, him taking on an almost mythic aura here. One incredible sequence in particular sort of remixes where we last left off while simultaneously drawing a line and taking it further between this and those, neither of which I thought could ever be topped. The gnarliest violence you'll ever see, sequence after sequence after sequence all individually worthy of being the action scene of the year, in any year, ever. Star making performance from Raid alumni Joe Taslim, who should be getting more action work after this. I was disappointed to read Gareth recently shut down the ideas for a third Raid just a few days after my re-watch of 2 a few weeks ago, but now I get it - he knew this was coming. Nobody is ever going to touch these two.

Also, phenomenal work from Gunnar Nimpuno. It's the first film I've seen shot by him and he's at the level of anyone in the business.

Comments

• Well, I know what I'm watching tonight...

How is the editing in this? I always thought the scarce edits in The Raid movies was what made the fight sequences so great beyond just the choreography.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • I want to say there's more cuts in the action as a general rule, but it's really more dependent on the circumstances of the scene and who's involved with it. For example, there were more cuts in the scenes with the girls and some minor characters than there were in the scenes with Uwais and Joe. All about their skill sets relative to everyone else.

The action itself feels unmistakably like The Raid - like, the scenes couldn't exist prior to that movie. What sets the two apart is just how gory and stomach churning the violence is. I can't call The Raid films clean by any means (esp 2) but it's relatively sterile compared to how over the top everything is here.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited October 2018
    Good stuff. That's how it should be. When you got people as talented as Uwais and Joe you don't need to cut and trick around with shot sequences to make it look good, it speaks for itself. Was really hyped for Mile 22 to see Uwais in a more mainstream setting but they chopped his action scenes to pieces. Just no.

Anyway, watching this shortly and I'll report back. Sounds dope.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • edited October 2018
    It's quite the ride. I checked the time at an hour in and wondered what else they could possibly do. Little did I know.

Thought Uwais was awesome in two scenes in Mile 22 that were very well choreographed but just butchered in the editing room.