The Off-Topic Thread January 2019 - Let's Make BD Great Again

Comments

• Welcome back @Oxley

@Midnight-Kroovy My list of favorite werewolf movies is pretty mainstream. There are probably some good ones I don't know about.

The Wolf Man (1941)

An American Werewolf In London (1981)

The Howling (1981)

Ginger Snaps (2001)

Fright Night (1985) - Evil Ed shape shifting scene

Silver Bullet (1985) - the illustrated novella is good too

Michael Jackson's Thriller (1983) - music video
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • edited January 2019
    To backtrack to the controversy of the media and online lynch mob attacking Kentucky school children without having all the pertinent information to rationally and maturely make an assertion; there actually was an unequivocal racist group at said controvers. These black Israelites were literally directing racist, verbal attacks towards children. Where does our outrage culture stand on that? Both severely disappointing and disturbing..
  • edited January 2019
    @Sea Hag you anti semite

The story is what the media originally told us it as. Nothing more. Close your eyes. Sleep. Your government loves you.
  • Yeah you’re right, they were never there making racist remarks.

And calling someone an anti Semite so casually without any evidence is irresponsible, lazy and of weak character.
  • I smoke weed for the first time in over 10 years and this happens to be on:

Fortuitous =)
  • I was making a joke about how there's hoards of people who call you an anti semite for anything that could be remotely considered critical of Israel.
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    We need a new crusade.

I shall resurrect the Templars.
  • If you take me to Egypt
  • nancenance maryland
    edited January 2019
    god hag, you're so sensitive. you really dislike being called things that people might extrapolate from your comments, even though se7en was just making a point. fuck those maga asshats. fuck the white smug privilege emanating from those anti-choice numbskulls. hag, you love to bring up all of your counter points for everything you perceive the left to be doing, but where's you're outrage of separating children from their families at the border, tayvon smith or any other of the multitude of young people of color who are misrepresented, smeared, and killed. now, i'm no fan of those misogynist isrealites, so they can get bent, too. if you wear a maga hat, you are making a strong statement of ignorance, intolerance, being exclusionary, and otherwise screaming your entitlement and privilege from the mountain tops. america was never great; to "make it great again" suggests a return to what? slavery? jim crow? women not voting? native american genocide?

fuck that.
  • I am sensitive when it comes to being labeled something I'm not. Especially considering said labels are doled out in a loosey-goosey type manner in today's outrage climate. In the case with Seven the sarcasm was admittedly lost on me but you lumping me in with white supremacists in a previous back and forth was most definitely lazy & irresponsible. I would normally brush such an assertion aside & look at it as comedic fodder but since you teach children I find it (& you) more disturbing than anything else.... So, in many cases kids are being used as pawns to cross the border by someone posing as parents or by the parents themselves. It falls on the “adult” for putting these children in a situation where an illegal act is committed instead of doing things legally. (emphasis on legally) That’s where my outrage lies in that matter.

As far as the "MAGA" slogan.. I see it as a sentiment of nationalism as opposed to the lazy racist moniker you & other people of your ilk tend to view it as. Instead of hemorrhaging money & resources to the world I'd like to see more of a focus on american citizens interests. Namely infrastructure & on crime that takes place on american soil. What's gone on on Chicago for far too long is a disgrace. Has things improved as much as I would've liked to at this point? Yes and no.. But the "MAGA" sentiment for me is an american one and not a racially divisive one. Criminal Justice & Prison Reform is another part of it. I think the First Step Act Legislation that Trump recently signed off on is a very bi-partisan one that black communities in particular should be openly lauding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/senate-overwhelmingly-backs-overhaul-of-criminal-justice-system/2018/12/18/89efffb6-02e7-11e9-9122-82e98f91ee6f_story.html?utm_term=.94778f7feaed

But it has gotten barely any play. Why? Because people like you just keep dragging us back to the muck & mire of racial politics. Ergo, instead of expediting the progression of society you're holding it back. Thanks for being a burden Nance. You're doing a great job.
  • nancenance maryland
    edited January 2019
    right, i forgot that your terror of me teaching children is all consuming. you'd be shocked, hag: i'm actually an excellent teacher, and while i keep my rhetoric to myself (the primary biases that do guide my practice are my love of animals and my desire to teach young children that snakes and spiders aren't scary or dangerous), i teach my children to love one another, keep an open mind, be kind, and practice empathy. i teach them how to count, how to write, how to recognize letters, how to take care of themselves, and how to sing and dance. that doesn't sound too disturbing, does it?

your comments on maga speak to perspective. first, i'm not into nationalism, which i'm sure comes as no surprise to you, though i do love this country, which i bet does surprise you. but, to me, suggesting that this movement speaks more to nationalism than intolerance is actually super lazy, fails to consider the perspectives of others, and patently ignores the level of injustice that has driven this country since europeans first showed up here. make america great again means nothing and implies that it was great and now, because of the relative advancement of persecuted, underrepresented, and mistreated people, it's no longer great. that is utter bullshit, and to align yourself with something like that, or even simply support it, without being able to see it for what it is, speaks to a level of willful stupidity that is kind of staggering. how come they can't just say make america great? why are they all smug white assholes? there's a reason, and you, self-proclaimed non-racist, non-anti-semite, should be smart enough to see what it is.

as an avid washington post reader, i've read the very article you've linked, and yes, that's great, if it in fact plays out the way it seems to be stated. but if republicans are so awesome, or at least want to be seen as not being monsters by people like me, they're gonna have to spend less time enacting plenty more racist, sexist, classist policies, and more time doing things like the article you linked suggest. they're gonna have to get the fuck out of people's bedrooms, respect other people's religions and spiritualites, learn how to swiftly and firmly condemn racism (steve king, charlottesville) and generally start walking the righteous walk they claim to be. obviously, all republicans are not reflective of these things, but a lot are. and you don't have to spend a lot of time telling me the democrats are fucked-up, too, cus, believe me i know.

and while i'm well-aware, as both a teacher and human being on this earth, that adults exploit children, i'm a little shocked that you would seek to soften what's going on at the border. talk about disturbing.
  • It's not all consuming but as a father of 2 I probably have a different perspective than someone who doesn't have kids. And with the knowledge of my kids prospective teacher believing that it's impossible to be racists towards white people, yeah, they would absolutely not be in your class. That kind of thinking is the exact opposite of progressive. Do people have the capability of being objective & not placing their own regressive baggage & views upon their students? Sure.. Would I trust someone like you to do so with my kids? Fuck no..

Now, should the slogan simply by "MAG"? I can see that & can empathize with how that might be offensive towards someone. I'm of the belief that if a certain word or phrase bothers someone to the point of being offended than I simply refrain from saying it. That's how I go about my own life so point taken. But again, that is absolutely not what it means to me. It's about putting america and its citizens first.

And I'm not here to defend Republicans. I don't identify as one. I definitely leaned Conservative but I'm very much Liberal when it comes to social issues. (the fuck do i care if a gay couple wants to get married?) And I've been Pro-Choice for most of my life but I will say I'm sickened by the new law passed in NY allowing to kill a child up until birth. And to have such a thing celebrated by lighting the Freedom Tower pink? Disgusting... Reason #59 to move out of NY.

As for the situation at the Mexican border, I think a wall would go a long way towards not separating illegal immigrants from their children. My friends from Honduras, Guyana & Israel (all of whom either are in the middle of or went through the long, legal process to become citizens) agree with me.
  • nancenance maryland
    you just aren't going to let go of my views on racism, so, since you provided a thoughtful and measured response, i will try to give you one as well. i think part of our divide on this point is semantics, primarily the way we define racism. i'm not suggesting that white people can't be on the receiving end of intolerance; of course they can. but it aint institutional. there haven't been laws, economies, social programming built against white people for the purpose of their suppression and repression (although white women and poor white people certainly have a big taste of this). what i'm saying is that the term "racism" in this country does not swing both ways because it is a word that is based on who holds power and who has been on the receiving end of institutionalized oppression and mistreatment. in this country, descendants of white europeans are, and, since 1492, have been, the power holders. i hope this clarifies things a little for you, whether you agree or not, at least explains my thoughts on this matter. additionally, as i stated in my previous post, my role as a teacher is not to push my political views on impressionable young minds, but rather to encourage a spirit of openness, understanding, and intellectual curiosity, so that THEY can make their own decisions about the way of the world. i mean, except for the snake and spider stuff. i do push that, i guess. and i also have kids, btw.

my favorite thing about this country--a country built on theft, murder, injustice, and genocide--is that it is made up of people from all over their world, both in the moment, and in our ancestry. i myself am the offspring of indigenous mexican, spanish, irish, and english descent. my family excursions take me into the heart of texas, the deep south, and the mid-atlantic. i am proud, to some extent, of aspects of all of these lineages. i love living in a country that can provide sancuary, individualism, community, and beautiful mixing. at our best, we are a beacon of tolerance to the world, and what human beings are capable of. i believe a wall separating us from the country that we stole our southwestern states from, is antithetical to what america is, should be, and can be. it's also gross and not how i want the country i live in and love to be. obviously, i have a personal stake as much of my life and that of my family, radiates from the epicenter of this debate. much of my family, my friends, including those from mexico and central america, and my isreali wife agree with me, and i with them.
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Dont worry Hag, I know you're not an anti-semite.

I recognize a fellow Jew Hater when I see one.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Trump has brought out the absolute worst in Americans. Just the mere sight of that orange jackass makes me sick to the very pit of my stomach.
  • We have black 4 star generals, a black man on the Supreme Court and have had a black president. Time to stop being a culture of perpetual victims and take ownership of your lives.

And you might find the wall offensive, gross and contrary to what you think America stands for and I can see that. But there wouldn’t be a need for a wall if millions didn’t take advantage of our lax border security and subsequently our laws. And then you have the obvious overpopulation aspects and everything that comes with that. Essentially the reality of the situation. The old adage this is why we can’t have nice things.
  • I honestly do not have a problem with the wall, as I feel that immigrants SHOULD come here the right way. I DO however have a very big problem with Trump painting Latinos to be nothing more than murderers, drug dealers, and welfare cases. If i'm not mistaken, all those things come in all races, and most are already here in the U.S. as proud Americans. If anything Trump is spewing this hate to rally the country around the idea that latinos are the source of all of this countries problems. That isn't the case, but you know, racists have to have a scapegoat to justify the way they think so........
  • (does secret handshake with cryptus)
  • @Mr. Awesome Boy, Hillary Clinton has seen better days.
This discussion has been closed.