General Gaming Thread

Comments

• Finally played some Fallout76. It’s exactly what I figured it would be. Fallout with new weapons and being able to play with my buddy. I like it.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • Red Dead 2 has sold more now than Red Dead did in 8 years... impossible to comprehend
  • Well, i'm ready and pumped.........

• edited December 2018
  • Played 8 player Smash Bros Ultimate all night with friends.

The game is a winner.
  • Looks like i'm gonna need to buy a Switch......
  • It's a great time to get a Switch
  • Random Video Game Complaints

One: Cut scenes are annoying. I want to play a game, not watch a cartoon with uncanny-valley graphics. No need for developers to spend a fortune on cut scenes when the story should be told inside the gameplay instead. To make it worse, some games have mandatory cut scenes the player is forced to sit through because the scenes have no "skip" option.

Two: GTA 5 is a fucking police state. Can't barely jaywalk without the jackboots bashing your skull in or blowing your brains out. Doesn't matter if there are no police around when a crime is committed, because NPCs have cell phones and like to snitch. When cops arrive, the player has one option - run for his fucking life. The only way GTA 5 is fun for me is if I pretend it's a game about a lone hero trapped in some dystopian police state, like The Running Man.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I'm picking up a Swtich. I've always been going to get one, whenever another Metroid game comes out. I bought a Wii exclusively for Metroid. Prime 4 is coming, and its great to finally see Ridley in Smash, so might as well dive in now.

Keen for MK 11 too. Fuuucking gonna be greatness.

Also, Crash Team Racing remake os beautiful. Its scientifically proven the original is the greatest racing game of all time. Easily my most played game in childhood. I can't fucking wait for that.
  • Should be getting my X tomorrow or the next day. So ready for Red Dead
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    Boy howdy has my time away from Call of Duty made me rusty.

*Go back to your fighting games old man intensifies*
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Let it be known that AC origins is the most beautiful game there's ever been
  • Saints Row 2 is the most feminist game I've ever played. When I started it up, it let me design who I wanted my protagonist to be, so I picked a cute chick with green hair, bought her a tee-shirt with a skull and crossbones on it, equipped her with a samurai sword, started reigning holy Hell onto rival gang members, and that was that.

The game was obviously geared for a male protagonist (it assumes that is the gender most players will pick), and this ends up making it even more feminist, because the female character gets treated like one of the dudes by her male associates - none of them flirt with her, and she doesn't flirt with them either.

Quote from dictionary: "In feminist theory, the male gaze is the act of depicting women and the world, in the visual arts and literature, from a masculine, heterosexual perspective that presents and represents women as sexual objects for the pleasure of the male viewer."

In Saints Row 2, the male gaze is nonexistent because the game (mostly) thinks your chick is a dude. So yeah, it was probably just a happy accident, but I can't think of a game more feminist than when my heroine is out on the streets slicing and dicing and generally kicking ass.

Also, the zombie mini-game is scary. I don't like it when zombie moan and try to get me, makes me nervous sitting there playing it. SR2 is better than GTA 4. It lacks GTA's grim snuff-film realism, but that's okay. Not everything has to be so F-ing serious.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight
  • Saints Row 2, console version (continued from previous post)

Been on the lookout for the best sandbox open-world game and I think I finally found it. Keep in mind this game was created a decade ago. Here's why I think this has the best interactive environment:

City full of NPCs - you can insult or compliment them and they will return the sentiment. My female protagonist, who even at normal difficulty level is an unstoppable killing machine (game is pretty forgiving), is nice to the NPCs and blows them kisses (one of the "compliments" you can choose). Her "taunt", which is good for making rival gang members shoot first, is an old-fashioned Fuck Off.

City full of rival gangs armed to the teeth with various deadly weapons. They wear different color jackets and you can get into full-on gang wars in the streets over territory. Also, the members of your gang will fight with and for you.

Lots of cops in the city but they are smart and nice-ish. If a rival gang member shoots at you first and you return fire in self-defense, the cop usually will only attack the bad guy and leave you alone.

If you like to use your imagination, you could get totally lost in this game just goofing around. You can even hit the in-game liquor store, smoke a blunt and chug a 40 and watch the screen get all hazy. If you like to stick to the storyline, that is fun as well.

The two best sandbox games before I played this one were GTA 4 and the original Red Dead. GTA 5 is pretty, and the online is great, but the open world is just meh to me. Haven't played Red Dead 2 yet, but I know it's said to be a revolutionary-type sandbox game.

NOTE - I am playing the console version of Saints Row 2 and have read that the PC port is a disaster - some have called the PC port the "worst port ever", just so ya know. This review is only for the console version.
    edited December 2018
    Feeling like I'm back to where I was skill wise in CoD. I'm no longer spazzing the fuck out when aiming at a target. Getting top 10 spots pretty regularly now.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Lol...

Anyway, my stats are too high and all the fucking Christmas scrubs are being put on my team. Every. Single. Game.

This back can only carry so many.
  • UPDATE

AC Origins, RDR2, and BFV are the prettiest games there's ever been

Played some of the new Tomb Raider and that's out of this world too
    Fucking 5 again. I swear the circle always closes in on the worst open field ass home on the range bullshit. Every Damn time.

Then I get sniped in the back.
    Okay I finally won a Blackout game.

Now what do I do?