General Gaming Thread

Comments

• Sucks that the RE 2 remake doesn't have fixed camera angles... just doesn't feel like a RE game without them.

The 1st RE HD remake was perfect, they should've followed suit.

• Are you kidding me?

Nobody wants to play that shit
  • edited June 2018
    Smash Bros Ultimate looks fantastic, unfortunately I am on the "Waaaaa no Waluigi" band wagon :/
  • @Se7en Says the pleb who's probably only played RE 4.

Nothing creates atmosphere and mood like fixed cameras. I mean look at this shit, it's beautiful...

fa07a752d2ae43c31ad8111097a11b21.jpg
    resident-evil-hd01.jpg
    1*ozef8MQgIYcBl8-HaU6WOg.jpeg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    13-noscale.jpg
    4-noscale.jpg
    6-noscale.jpg

And not having complete control over what you see also adds to the tenseness. Kind of important in a horror game...

• Fixed camera can get frustration sometimes, but I think it's better, more area to dart your eyes at, all these things to be suspicious of

With first person, you can't look everywhere, so you twist around so much and feel like you're wasting time looking everywhere. If it comes at you from in front, you got to react, but it's just a small area to be responsible for, and if something gets you from behind, well, you can hardly be completely responsible for that, so it gets more frustrating if something gets you from behind

It was the cow...

• I honestly never completed any of them, but RE1/2/Nemesis/Code Veronica and Silent Hill 2 were all fixtures of my childhood. There's a reason we've evolved from them. I'll sacrifice some tension for an overall more immersive experience and better feeling game. Recent games have shown that you can still be scary with first or third person. There's no reason for it beyond a remaster of an old game that used them.

This is a full on remake. A true Leon 2.0 game that has no risk of failing like a RE4 sequel might. Everything from it looks incredible.
  • Fatal frame 2
  • Have to agree with Se7en on this one. The older games aren’t bad really, but the controls are god fucking awful. Rather have a remake with RE4 controls and camera.

RE4 proved you don’t need ass controls and fixed cameras to scare people. Fighting that chainsaw dude in the first village still fucking haunts me.
    2018 Summer Flash Draft Winner!
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    edited June 2018
    Y'all don't think anyone would play a modern day RE with camera angles?

Seriously?

RE Remastered proved that exact argument dead wrong in 2015 by being the single best selling selling Playstation store title for like 3 months straight. How well did it sell you ask? Well it's the reason we're getting an RE2 remake. The sole reason. Fuck outta here with that shit. Now, I'd agree that Tank Controls might turn people off as that's a different thing, but even then RE remastered had two ways to control it. Both tank controls AND omnidirectional movement. So that debate doesn't exist either. It can have both.

Fixed camera would be the fucking tits in a modern RE game. Unfortunately Capcom probably feels pressured to draw in the RE4 plebs, so they played it safe by making the best of both worlds by incorporating an OTS camera style. I'm only okay with it, because 1) The game has far less action orientation. Moving while shooting makes your gun HIGHLY inaccurate only really becoming anywhere near stable if you're planted firmly in place, forcing you to choose between mobility or accuracy, and 2) The zombies in this just don't give a FUCK if you shoot them. They don't stop. They merely flinch and just keep coming at you in sheer numbers, even with large chunks of their head taken off. You may be able to aim more clearly than in the OG RE2, but they more than made up for it by making the zombies an absolute cunt of an enemy this time around. Can't wait for people to drop the game because they keep dying while trying to rambo through it.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
    @Se7en

Fuck Leon. Claire is where it's at.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • Don't care about her

And no I think I fixed angle game would flop. Don't care how good it could be in its niche. It's fucking 2018, I'd play that shit on my phone if I wanted to
    edited June 2018
    Sorry to inform you, but Survival Horror is niche. That's just a fact. Fixed angles would do nothing to detract from that. REmastered didn't tear up the sales charts by changing it's camera. It did so by bringing back the original RE flavor that so many people missed out on due to it's exclusivity status on the Gamecube. To a lot of people, including myself and two other friends I know, it was effectively a NEW game, in the old style. The fact that it was from 2002 didn't matter much.

Look at how well RE7 sold compared to RE5 or RE6. RE5 was only beaten out by Monster Hunter World.

Still, RE7 was considered a wild success because it had relatively less budget in it than RE5 or 6, and was a resounding success with critics as well. But if you want to talk cold hard numbers comparisons, it didn't reach a fraction of the audience that it did with the previous games. Why? Because it was fucking terrifying to casuals, not friendly towards the action buffs, and actually required patience and some modicum of thought. Actual Survival Horror doesn't sell as well regardless.
  • 3 to 2, fixed camera wins.

Still high hoping that they give you the option for both camera modes.
  • RustyNailFromHellRustyNailFromHell Is between your girlfriend legs, while her parents watch with approval.
    Back on GTAV online. It's my go to game. I really need to start doing my own heists. I help with other people heists all the time to earn cash. I just hate it when they put the heist on hard, and it takes 2 hours because somebody fucks up including myself. I think normal mode is the way to go, * yes, cash reward is smaller* but you can knock it out in one try most of the time.

Oh yeah, the new super cars suck! Don't waste money on them.
  • I turned on GTA Online the other day. Still fun to mess around with but they really need to make the heists playable with AI or some single player missions that payout some significant cash.
  • NES Minis are back in stock this week at Best Buy and GameStop if anyone still wants one.

Hoping they come out with a Gameboy or N64 one this year.
  • Opinions of nerds stuck in the past only count for half a person @travisbickle
  • Opinions of ADD casuals who haven't even completed one game in the entire series don't count at all.

@Se7en ^Fixed that for ya.

3 TO 1! Fixed cameras win.

• I finished RE4 and those fixed cameras and shit controls can fuck right off.
  • RustyNailFromHellRustyNailFromHell Is between your girlfriend legs, while her parents watch with approval.
    @_Blakelock_ I agree with the idea of single player heists.

The Nightclub DLC that's coming next month seems somewhat interesting.

I wish Rockstar would fix or at least explain the deal with the new supercars. I feel like the stats on them are a lie. Went back to the older supers like the T-20 for racing.