The Meg (2018)

The Meg (2018)

After escaping an attack by what he claims was by a 70-foot shark, Jonas Taylor must confront his fears to save those trapped in a sunken submersible.

the-meg-poster.jpg

Comments

• MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    Jason Statham is too macho for Jonas. In the books, he's more like Jimmy Buffet channeling Jacques Coustea. Hopefully the fact that they're really promoting this now means it's at least half decent. The book series is cray-cray so here's hoping they brought that to the big screen.

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• I read the book and 1 or 2 more 15-20 years ago. Great stuff then, not sure I remember him being JB->JC, but certainly no action hero, just a decently fit guy that made quick plans that worked with a ton of smarts, luck, and adrenaline

Steve Alten has been through hell watching his book almost get made into a movie and then fall apart. I think I've made 2 thread on BD in the last 10 years as it almost got made before

Not sure I hate the miscast, but I'll be glad if it does well. With 6 books in the series now, hopefully we can get a hand full of some serious horror movies out of this

It was the cow...

• WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    It looked really good until the upbeat music started playing and the jokes started flowing...
  • So weird. Like a big budget Asylum movie. I wasn't expecting them to go so goofy with this, but then I don't know the source material.

The biggest draw for me is actually Statham himself, who I've always thought is a great, savvy movie star, and could make this a fun ride. Everything else... eh... they've been trying to make this all these years? :/
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • I'm in. Looks fun as hell, and you can't beat a monster shark.
  • International trailer is much better.

• Must better trailer, hopefully the movie is like that and the other trailer was trying to be snarky, ironic, or something

It was the cow...

• nancenance maryland
    edited April 2018
    i am all in for this movie. i love the books, which are a lotta fun, but there's nothing nuanced or canonical about them, so have at it movie-makers. i don't see statham as world weary as jonas taylor. but whatever. the effects look great, and seeing a giant shark gobble people up is something i could watch all day long.
  • Haven't read the books but this looks like fun. 2018 is proving to be the year of giant monster movies.
  • edited April 2018
    It looks pretty fun and I will probably check it out but my expectations are kinda low for any Shark movie.

I thought the bit where it comes up to the girl in the glass was cool and creepy, reminded me of Jaws 3D lol.
  • Been waiting such a long time for this that i brushed off the hokey feel of the first trailer this movie just needed to happy but after watching the international trailer (thanks @gunsrazorsknives ) im much more hyped. I'm all for a few jokes here and there but that first trailer took the piss a little bit and stripped away all the dread that is in the book and a pretty big spoiler so well done there. Thankfully the international trailer has a much better tone. I think they should have started with a trailer or a sneak preview and done the first scene of the book. Might not have driven the point home but would have been fucking awesome.
  • It's about time we get a Megalodon in theatres.

Looks like a fun popcorn flick, looking forward to it.
  • WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    House Shark > The Meg
  • MaydayMayday - Mega-City One
    monty-python-o.gif

Jury. Executioner. Judge.

• Both trailers are hokey as fuck. The "international trailer is a much better representation of the movie" argument is void, they both contain footage from... you know, the movie, so all that dumb shit is in there. I can't believe they spent 150 million on what's essentially a faux-sophisticated Asylum movie. Even the cast screams B-movie.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • You really can't believe it?
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited April 2018
    I believe it if that's what they say they spent... but I wonder where the fuck all that money went with this rubbish cast and laughable CGI. I realise there's still probably rendering to do on the latter, but that's a problem in itself. Why would you put all these VFX in the trailer if they look like shit? It's film marketing 101 that you get all of your VFX shots that you want in the trailer down, even if everything else is a mess, because first impressions are everything.

What even are the audience for this film? Like 10 or so people that read a book 20 years ago? This is gonna tank, and tank hard.
    • Guilty Remnant •
    This is gonna tank, and tank hard.

tumblr_p71rmzvB861xo6426o1_75sq.gif
  • ...like the majority of 100+ million non franchise films
  • nancenance maryland
    well, then, i'm glad they spent 150 on little ole me. i'm siked.