I would LOVE To Write A Horror Movie Script

Having published some books of my horror short stories, I would definitely love to turn my attention to writing a horror movie script. It's just coming up with a good plot that nobody has done before, as there are so many horror movies that now that resemble each other, particularly those with teenagers and slashers in the woods.
Alan Toner
Horror Writer
www.alantoner.com

Comments

• Yeah. maybe you just shouldn't bother then.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Wirral WriterWirral Writer Merseyside, UK
    What's THAT supposed to mean then? Explain yourself.
    Alan Toner
    Horror Writer
    www.alantoner.com
  • Wirral WriterWirral Writer Merseyside, UK
    Atmosphere, could YOU write a decent script?? Well, could you??
    Alan Toner
    Horror Writer
    www.alantoner.com
  • Nah.

I don't claim to be able to, either. I tried writing scripts when I went through my teenage aspiring-filmmaker phase. Never amounted to anything.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Don't listen to what Atmosphere is saying.

If you keep persisting and looking to improve then it can be done. Read articles, listen to podcasts and READ READ READ other scripts and see what it's all about.

Don't think of original idea as a film nobody has done before, that's nearly an impossible task. Maybe tackle a horror subject but bring your own original take on it. An example of this is Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Lesley Vernon, which too the slasher genre and had a truly unique take on it.

I even have a podcast called Horror Filmmaking Academy and you can listen to that to get some idea and scope into what goes into a screenplay from indie directors/writers who persisted and got their movies made.

Good luck!
  • Please excuse my fellow Brits here on BD. I promise you we don't take absolutely everything to heart. We're famed for our self-deprecating humor.

@SupaRubes , who are you again? What exactly am I saying? Who made you such an industry expert?

I didn't say poster couldn't write a horror screenplay, I said that if all he can do is ponder about it on a message board rather than actually putting pen to paper and thinks that the key to a good horror script is "a plot that nobody has done before" then maybe he shouldn't.

Also, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Lesley Vernon was a stinker. Don't listen to this guy.

• Guilty Remnant •