The House That Jack Built (2018) - Lars von Trier

House-That-Jack-Built.png

The story follows Jack, a highly intelligent serial killer over the course of 12 years and depicts the murders that truly develop Jack as a serial killer.

22713454_785317441676881_1455139799911198836_o-1200x520.jpg

IMDB

Comments

• gwallygwally Snowhio
    No US release date. :/
  • Its debuting at Cannes tonight, I'm sure we'll get news of wider release soon.
  • gwallygwally Snowhio
    That's what I'm hoping for. Especially if it's well received and from what I saw of the trailer, this is going to be a fun one!
  • I like the trailer for sure

Looks pretty in depth for the story we’re going to see

It was the cow...

• WonderlustWonderlust lingered last in line for brains and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
    <3

Yesssssss!
  • The stuffy suit crowd have been walking out of the Cannes screening, calling it "vile: "tortuous" and "vomitive'

Sounds like a good time to me.
  • Cannes reactions are notoriously bonkers.

Looks good. I had no idea Von Trier was even doing this. I guess a movie about a serial killer is the next natural progression in his career...
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Aww yeah, Cannes reactions aren't to be taken seriously at all, however, there may be some truth to these ones.

Von Trier is a troll and doesn't give a fuck about your feelings, and if he can make marriage (Antichrist) and sex (Nymphomaniac) look like horror shows imagine what he can do with a movie about a serial killer. The trailer alone is pretty horrific.
  • The reactions are priceless.

Did people honestly think that Von Trier would change tempo for his serial killer movie? This is the director who had Charolette Gainsborough cut off her fucking clit with a pair of scissors.

The guy courts controversy with every film. What were people expecting?

At least it got a 6-minute standing ovation.
  • It's like these people don't watch movies
  • Looking forward to it!
  • anyone know when it will hit vod ?
  • Certainly not anytime soon
  • I would be disappointed if people didn't walk out at Cannes =)

I'm excited for this, don't want to hear any more just want to watch it.
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited May 2018
    They've been using this PR trick for decades. "People were fainting in the theater"

Are we really expected to believe a bunch of the most highly-seasoned film fans and journalists really get offended by a bit of sadistic murder on screen? How many more people are going to flock to see this precisely because of the headlines?
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • edited May 2018
    But they actually do, I had a forum bud at Cannes who saw it with Neon Demon. It's more "look at me and how above this trash I am" hubris over marketing. Think about how many people are at Cannes just to be there, how many cynical "journalists" get to save an hour to write their cheap hack pieces that don't spend a second talking or thinking about the film. Think about how many film fans in general have strong strong, borderline psychotic beliefs about particular "arthouse" directors and their work who are clearly deeply offended by what they were seeing.

When I was a kid I'd read negative/positive reviews of movies before watching them where much was spoiled, and I'd also read the parents guides on IMDB. Finally watching the film's later, it really struck me how different what I saw was to what was described to me. Some people are stupid, some are pussy's, and some are just stupid pussy's. That how she goes.
  • The things I've read about Irreversible in particular... damn. People are... passionate. Let's go with that.
  • I bet those people really walked out. I watched Antichrist and Melancholia on the edge of my seat, hypnotized by the atmospheres of utter dread they produced. I'm not hyping this up in my mind that this new one will be as good as those, because I don't want to be disappointed, but I'm interested to see if he can do it again.

Random thought - von Trier's Dogville is like if a cinematic mastermind tried to make I Spit On Your Grave.
    I love the way you sing, okay? I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing. - Before Midnight