Rob Zombie's 3 from Hell

Comments

• OxleyOxley Scumdog Overlord
    I didn't think much of the original Hills at first. Saw the remake long before it. But as I aged and gave it a few morw chances I found myself loving it more and more.

The exact opposite happened with the remake. I adored it originally. With each viewing, less and less.

I just love the raw, grittiness to the original, and hiw Craven actually cast odd looking people as the mutants. Something that really bugs me now about the remake is the father mutant. He may as well not even fucking be in it. And he is pretty important to the whole set-up of the stroy.
  • CryptusCryptus 45 Lampkin Lane
    @Se7en

You implied I said that fool. So I made Office Space quotes at you.

Deal wit it.

By the way, I mean his films are poor results of mishmashing different elements ripped straight from those directors. ;)
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
    I actually flopped on Nispel's TCM the same way.

Loved it when it was fresh, thought the original was fine but a bit boring. Now I can sit through the original 40 times over and the remake just seems like generic hollywood gloss parading as a "gritty" remake. It's got the music video effect that covers half of zombie's films, only Nispel beat him to the punch. I don't outright hate it, but the initial feeling I had for it is all but gone now.
    Join the Official "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is Superior to the Original" Fan Club today! For the low price of: Stop lying to yourselves and admit it you cowards!
  • AtmosphereAtmosphere England
    edited July 2018
    I'd actually argue that point @nance

I don't think it speaks to his value as a filmmaker at all. At the end of the day, there are only a handful of current mainstream filmmakers who work exclusively in the horror genre. This is a horror board, obviously he is going to be talked about, good or bad.

It's cool you have your own opinion and love Rob's work. But I think the divisiveness of his work is blown massively out of proportion. Especially when the majority of people here seem to think he's shit. It doesn't mean we're passionate about hating him, it's just calling out shit as shit.
    • Guilty Remnant •
  • Yeah, like 99.99% just call his work shit while a few people are doing the sports equivalent of calling the Detroit Tigers the greatest Basketball team in history...

It was the cow...

• Big suprise, another thread specifically about a upcoming movie once again goes into a rampant debate of whether or not Rob has the validity of being a Director/screenwriter in the first place.

I gotta say Rob, the fact that we are still doing this a decade later is amusing.

well_done_sir.gif
  • It's not a debate
  • @Cryptus you're just an old fashioned geek in ur too cool for school phase still. Things aren't so black and white.

@Atmosphere reach out your bubble and Rob love is everywhere
    I don't think I've ever seen things in black and white.

I'm not old fashioned in the slightest. Refn for example is my fucking jam. Rob Zombie could only hope to achieve what he has.
    edited July 2018
    For the record, I like Rob. A lot in fact. Real good jams he pumps out. I love his music a ton in fact.

Just not the majority of his flicks.
    That, Aaron. Is because you have what secen doesn't.

Taste.
    Has Seben dropped a letter grade only to become Secen?

Poor fuckboi. He knows not how horrible he is.
    edited July 2018
    I figured it was more fitting. As his opinion is second to every body else's.
  • nancenance maryland
    edited July 2018
    @Oxley i one hundred percent agree with you about the hills have eyes.

@Glass Eater i guess you could say we've "solo-d" rob zombie, eh?

@Atmosphere i certainly think you have a point, inasmuch as these discussions typically involve me and se7en defending him for various reasons and everyone else calling him derivative white trash. but, as glass eater points out, we've been doing this for ten years. i've only been on horror forums for like eight years, but was anyone moaning about him after rejects and before halloween? was it halloween that set the horror world against him, or was it halloween 2? either way, i do think there's value in these discussions. i think it's strictly a horror community issue, but i certainly appreciate folks' opinions, especially when presented in a thoughtful way.

i just find it interesting how passionate people get about this, especially since i think most of us happily consume lots of movies that are neither technically or artistically proficient, and/or that often reflect a deep and personal appreciation for the genre with an individualized style, and yet here's this guy who loves the genre, has a point of view, and tells stories the way he wants to, and he generates like the most intense chasm of feelings one way or another. i find that exceedingly interesting...and valuable. we are people who, more so than other cinema fans, i think, really appreciate and value personal stories and artistic freedom. horror is a very unique community, small, grassroots, knowledgeable. the feelings about rob zombie fascinate me. actually, i'm fascinated that i love him so much, and i'm certainly fascinated at how many people don't. i'm less concerned with the mechanics of people's feelings about this at this point, and far more interested in the psychology behind them.
  • edited July 2018
    Expect better of Atmosphere but it's literally the same rhetoric that's been spewed since release. The other members here don't deserve my thought.

Edit

On this matter anyway
  • edited May 2019
    This got an R rating and a trailer is coming soon. September release is rumored.

Zombie seems really happy with how the production went and said the team recaptured that special vibe.
  • Can't say I'm excited for this. No doubt it'll be more of the same from Zombie but I will watch it anyway.
  • edited May 2019
    Zombie is the only director in the world I would love to see try and pull off a G rated movie (as if he was forced to make it) just so I could see how unnatural it feels.
  • Another masterpiece inbound.
  • If Doctor Satan doesn't prominently feature it'll be a missed opportunity.